Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of buying an 86 (Read 1 times)
denson61
Ex Member

Thinking of buying an 86
01/11/07 at 15:33:59

I'm thinking of buying an 86. Can anyone tell me if there are any problems I should look for. I'm also wondering what rpm the 4 speed will do at 60mph.

Denis

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Thinking of buying an 86
Reply #1 - 01/11/07 at 21:27:39

I have a 5 speed & the difference in RPM @ 60 isn't that big of a deal. I can't tell ya what it is. I prefer the 5 speed, but knowing what I know about the 2, (4 speed vs. 5 speed) I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.  There is a corner I drop into 4th to take & I come out at about 70. Big sweeper, not really fair to call it a corner. In 5th it just won't pull in the turn, but 4th has some guts in it at 60& climbing.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #2 - 01/11/07 at 21:52:29

My god, this is a 20 year old machine. You must have a knowledgeable person look at this machine. I hope this is not your first motorcycle. I generally recommend if this a first motorcycle, get a new one. You need to first find out if you enjoy motorcycling. After you have determined you need this, then you can add the tinkering interest. If not:
Make sure the brakes work. Does it run?? How many miles? Is there rust? Inspect the belt. Can you service this machine if problems occur.

The 4-speed is enough. I have 5 speeds and I don't use the top speed. This bike probably doesn't even need the 4th speed. You can run comfortably at 60 in 4th gear. A lot of people want to do 90, this bike is not good at that. This bike accelerates strongly to 60 mph, but it is not a high speed cruiser. It is a strong around town machine, and a good short commute machine. If you can accept this, it is a great motorcycle.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/11/07 at 22:03:29

I know I might get hammered by a lot of people who happily ride 86 or thereabouts Savages but agree with geo - it is a 20 year old bike.

I think the Savage is a great bike (otherwise I would not have bought one) but unless I knew a lot about bikes I'd be looking @ buying a newer Savage if I could find one.

just my 2 pence.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 01/11/07 at 23:22:36

denson61 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I'm thinking of buying an 86. Can anyone tell me if there are any problems I should look for. I'm also wondering what rpm the 4 speed will do at 60mph.

Denis

Denis,

First, since you are new here, nobody knows your level of riding or mechanical experience. The previous posters have hit on the head of issue #1: Are you prepared to restore and maintain a 20 year old motorcycle? If the answer is "yes" read on...

In answer to your first question: Yeah there are plenty of problems to look out for, but there is going to be on any 20 year old motorcycle. I bought a 1987 with a little over 6K miles on the clock a few months ago. I've worked on my own cars and cycles for 35 years, and spent half a lifetime working as a "wrench" is one capacity or another. So I knew what I was getting into by buying an old "fixer-upper."

The "known failure modes" of the early Savage include, but are not limited to: Oil leaking from a plug in the engine cylinder head, that requires removing the head's cover, and sealing a plug. (To see if the bike you are looking at has this problem, run/ride it for 15+ minutes then look for oil around the cooling fins just below the exhaust header.
That, and occasional premature failure of the cam chain, due to auto tensioner design are two of the biggest things to look for. If the cam chain is stretched beyond good service, you might be able to detect it rattling by listening to the engine at idle and with short throttle blips.

There are other more minor problems, like the clutch being barely heavy enough duty to withstand a lot of abuse, but a lot of Savage riders aren't the type to abuse their bike such... But then there are people like me, especailly around here it seems, that take pleasure in putting the poor little thing through a tough workout  Grin
A few annoying little things like brake light switchs that only last a few years etc.. but even the best of machines require some degree of maintenence.

To answer your second question: The 4-speed actually has a VERY slightly higher top gear than the 5-speed, but it is also a close ratio transmission like the 5-speed, and has gears at most the places needed for good around town or country road cruising. As already mentioned, the Savage is not a "first choice" bike for interstate touring. Not that it isn't capable of handling the stress, but it really doesn't like to be ridden at extended periods at over 65MPH or so (IMHO). There are  also seat and position issues for taller riders. I'm struggling with that issue myself at the moment. Anything over 50-70 miles in one stretch starts to hurt me. But then it is common to stop for gas every 100 miles on the Savage because of fuel mileage and capacity issues. So... you get to stretch your legs a bit anyways. As it sits though, I wouldn't take mine on any rides of several hundred miles in a short period of time, like can be done on a serious road bike.

The Savage is what it is, a medium power, lightweight crusier that is peppy and easy to ride for general purpose city and back road riding. Finishing: I would recommend the bike to anyone shorter than 5' 8" for the purposes described above. If you are taller or big, as I am, be prepared to deal with a very awkward situation of trying to make the bike fit you.

HTH

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/12/07 at 06:56:08

Along with the rest mine is an '86 as well. When it runs it runs it runs great. From discussions here, the 4 vs 5 speeds is really a non-issue.

This year my riding was cut short by what I believe to be the cam chain. Soon now, it will be apart on either my, or my brother-in-laws, shed floor.

My recommendation would be to buy the newest one your budget allows - with the caveat that if you like to work on old bikes, there is no question at all.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 01/12/07 at 09:27:53

I own an 87 with 5000 miles on it and if I knew then what I know today I would have bought a newer savage...  The 86-87 have a starter problem that kicks back so hard it breaks the case internaly... After buying mine I found my case has been broke and welded.. It may be worth a fiew extra bucks to get a newer bike unless you get a super deal on yours...   I payed $400 for mine..........   just my 3 cents  Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/12/07 at 21:14:13

My first 3 motorcycles were used. Very used but not used up. $400, $150 & $200 spent on the 3. The plan was to ride them until they broke & sell them for peanuts but they never broke. If you get it real cheap, even if it gets you through just one year you got your money's worth & you could get a newer one down the road or fix up the '86.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:14:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking of buying an 86

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.