Send Topic Print
chromed rear pully (Read 6 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

chromed rear pully
01/09/07 at 03:33:34

Has anyone ever had their real pully chromed?  I presume it comes apart from the hub, but I have been trying to break the 6 bolts loose all day and so far no luck. Is there a trick?
A shop here in portland will do the chroming  for $75.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: chromed rear pully
Reply #1 - 01/09/07 at 04:35:54

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Has anyone ever had their real pully chromed?  I presume it comes apart from the hub, but I have been trying to break the 6 bolts loose all day and so far no luck. Is there a trick?
A shop here in portland will do the chroming  for $75.  

I picked up a 12volt impactdriver for 20 bucks.
Believe there's a post about a cheap impact driver in this forum. That's what did the trick.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 01/09/07 at 08:39:55

Don't bother yankin' the pulley off ... there's a solid-disc chrome cover for the pulley that can be gotten aftermarket that looks awesome ... and it'll only cost ya $40 or so ...

www.metric-cruisers.com

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/09/07 at 09:29:59

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Don't bother yankin' the pulley off ... there's a solid-disc chrome cover for the pulley that can be gotten aftermarket that looks awesome ... and it'll only cost ya $40 or so ...

www.metric-cruisers.com

I knew I'd seen that somewhere but couldn't remember which vendor.  Thanks Perry.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/09/07 at 11:35:36

Thanks! The pully cover does look cool! I had painted the pully chrome and then clear coated it. It  looked great but only lasted a season, then Id have to redo it. The impact wrench did the trick. I took it too a tire shop and they did it for free!  Still think Im going to buy the cover now tho.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/09/07 at 11:51:06

That pulley does come off the hub.  I think that I have a photo somewhere, but I know that it is really hard.  It was assembled with Loctite thread locker.  

That's why, and when you have the pulley on the floor it is hard to hold it still while getting the torque on the bolts.  An impactor (as mentioned) would be good, or maybe a little heat from a torch, too, but I fought them off the hard way.

I took mine apart to paint it.  The inside rim on the pulley unbolts too...much more easily.

Maybe if the wheel is on the bike it would be easier to break them loose first and then remove it for the rest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:28:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chromed rear pully

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.