Send Topic Print
Planet of the Apes (Read 10 times)
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Planet of the Apes
01/08/07 at 07:47:04

I have a few questions for anyone out their that has put apes or mini apes on their savage.  Do i need longer cables, and if so how hard is that process?  Also do i need risers?  Is it hard to adjust your riding when installed?  Thanks guys

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: Planet of the Apes
Reply #1 - 01/08/07 at 09:39:08

It's a piece of cake to put apes on.  While you don't actually HAVE to put on longer cables (depending on height of the apes), it helps.  That's not a very difficult process, either.  If you go that route, you'll want to talk to Lancer and get new clutch, brake, and throttle lines.  The electrical will work, stock.  No new risers are needed.  It was probably a couple hours to do, working slowly and taking my time.

As for adjusting the ride...it felt pretty natural to me.  IT took me longer to adjust to the new seat than it did the apes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 01/08/07 at 10:10:31

Thanks buddy.  Now did you get the super 16" apes or the mini 9".  I was interested in the 9

aatif96   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 01/08/07 at 11:17:36

I was running 15" rise, 32" width (if I remember correctly).  With 9" I don't imagine you would need to change any cables.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 01/08/07 at 14:33:05

Probably not. I have 12" apes on "Thing" and the stock cables are tight.

WWW   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #5 - 01/08/07 at 15:28:58

hey steelwulf.  do you have any larger pics of your bike.  Id like to see it with 12" apes

aatif96   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 01/08/07 at 16:31:13

Here you go...

And a bigger pic still.

WWW   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/07 at 18:21:50

All you really need are longer arms

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/08/07 at 22:22:11

With bars like that, what happens if ya need to make a quick adjustment, like someone pulls ouot & the only way you don't get bent is the quickest left turn you ever made. Can ya still do it with bars like that? I have never ridden anything like that & have no idea what it does to handling.. clue me in? I have noticed, that's not the kind of bars I see on hotrod bikes. so I am gyessin they don't handle as well, but, what's the story from someone who rides with them?

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/09/07 at 02:51:42

I dont understand them! When riding for any distance, i like to  kinda lean back with my buckhorns. its comfortable. I have seen many a biker with them on the interstate sitting straight up with the ape hangers at 65 plus mph. Seems like it would wear you out. But I guess there has to be something alluring to them or they wouldnt be so popular.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 01/09/07 at 03:56:09

You really don't loose much  in the way of handling. Granted they are no drag bar but they still give plenty of control to make quick, safe maneuvers. Swerving is nearly always less effective in accident avoidance than braking anyhow. A swerve is essentially 3 turns. In that distance you can slow the bike enough to avoid any collision majority of the time.

Highway riding is really comfy. At least for me anyhow. The drag bar made my back hurt between my shoulder blades if I rode for any length of time. The buckhorns were fine but I like the hand position the apes give me. With the 12" apes my hands are just below my shoulders. They also keep me from slouching which my father would be very happy to hear. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 01/09/07 at 04:33:15

Apes? Be carefull.

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #12 - 01/09/07 at 07:35:12

I've not had any comfort or control issues either.  I've been able to handle anything with the apes that I could handle with the buckhorns.  And comfortwise, they're much better than I had anticipated.  I can still slouch to my heart's content (and being 5'9" it's not because of my height).  It really isn't an uncomfortable position, for some reason.

Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #13 - 01/09/07 at 07:39:42

how long are your apes Savage?

aatif96   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #14 - 01/09/07 at 08:48:31

Those are 15 inchers.  Here's another view of where they are in relation to the rider (keeping in mind that the seat in this pic is about an inch and a half higher than stock).

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Planet of the Apes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.