Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question - Best Windshields? (Read 5 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Question - Best Windshields?
01/07/07 at 20:10:23

I've been riding my Savage now for about 4 months. While I love the ride, I knew going in I'd have a few riding issues with my height. Standing just under 6'-2", I feel like a big windsail behind the handlebars at 65-70 MPH. I put on a Slipstream Spitfire sports shield that came with the bike. It makes a big difference, but it's only 15 inches tall and doesn't quite cut it. I DO like the way it looks without taking away from the lines of the bike. Any other tall riders out there with windshields? What do you recommend?

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Question - Best Windshields?
Reply #1 - 01/07/07 at 20:53:26

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:12:57 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 01/08/07 at 09:44:52

I was never happy with any windshield on the savage.  On my C50 I have a Memphis Fats, and it does wonders.  My dad has a Memphis Slims on his VLX, and it works great.  I remember seeing someone on here with a National Cycle Dakota windshield that worked well.

The Memphis Shades windshields come in a variety of heights, so that's useful.  And there's a couple different sizes of the Dakota, if memory serves me correct.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 01/08/07 at 09:57:51

I have the Slipstreamer "Turbo" on my Savage. It is more of the fairing style that covers the hand area pretty good. It does a good job. I'm 5'6" and can look over the top, which I prefer. I had a good experience with Slipstreamer ordering the bottom mount brackets which were missing with my bike. I recommend them, I believe they have a number of styles that will fit the Savage.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 01/08/07 at 13:07:14

I've been using a 16" American Cycle windshield from J.C. Whitney. Can't say I'm in love with it but it keeps the wind and bugs off me while on the superslab. It's easy to remove so on hot days I can take it off the bike before going out. It seems to generate a lot of wind noise in my FF helmet if not set at the right angle but that appears to be a problem with most windshields. I tend to ride with my upper torso and helmet in the wind with the windshield protecting my chest.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/08/07 at 13:20:18

I have a Spitfire but I'm short & dumpy so it works great for me but they have the very best customer service I know of. Sent me replacement parts at no charge.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 01/08/07 at 14:29:44

Hi, I am at 5'10, I have the slipstreamer enterprise and love it., ecxcept I can't get it to stay in position.  It pushes back onto the brake resevoir, not a big deal but an irritation.  But, my hands are protected and the top is at eye level so I can sit up a litttle and look over,, or crunch down a little and look through.  No real helmut buffeting either.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 01/08/07 at 15:38:34

I have a 21" memphis shades on mine and I like it alot. It's very easy and fast to take off and put on, so I only use it when it's cold or possibility of rain. I had a OEM suzuki shield but it wasn't tall enough even at my 5'7" height. It took the wind off my chest and put it right in my face. Just my opinion

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Your Input Is Appreciated!
Reply #8 - 01/08/07 at 17:43:15

I appreciate all the responses, they've helped me narrow my search. I've been leaning toward the Slipstreamer and Memphis lines but I've found several alternatives thanks to you kind folks. Also got a hint or two on wind noise I didn't think about! I've put the shield and graphics on over the last two months, waiting for hardware for my saddlebags so I can finish up. I hope to have the whole thing done in time to show off the bike at an upcoming "Polar Run" in Feb. just to make the guy that sold it to me wonder if it's the same bike! I'm not very good, computer-tech wise, but I hope to have before and after pics to post!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 01/08/07 at 22:40:05

Just reading through the thread and didn't see mention of the big old National Cycles Plexi Fairing... Someone must run one of these?

I mean, if you're going to run a windshield, especially out on the long haul, why not get all the coverage you can?

I even had a huge frame mounted Windjammer on my SR-500 for a while, and it really didn't slow it down much at all. A real blessing in bad weather too.

Perhaps having such a big sail bolted to your steering isn't such a good Idea? With all my (much) motorcycle experience, I've only had two bikes with shields, and both were frame mounted Jammer/Vetter types.  Does semi-tractor trailer rig air bubble, or crosswind really push you around with a fork/bars mounted shield? We sure have our share of both semi' and crosswind here in Okiezakistan.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #10 - 01/09/07 at 05:14:49

Im running the National Cycles plexiglass 3. good for the wind and helps with the hands well too! Cheesy
http://www.bikepics.com/members/sparkett/87savage/

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 01/09/07 at 12:25:11

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Im running the National Cycles plexiglass 3. good for the wind and helps with the hands well too! Cheesy
http://www.bikepics.com/members/sparkett/87savage/

Thanks for the link to the pics Judi, I've always wanted to know what one of those shields would look like on a Savage.

Nice chrome trim on the tank and front fender too... even if it is a bit to sissy looking for a He-Man motorsickle like I want my "Ox" to look.   Wink  

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #12 - 01/09/07 at 20:46:53

I installed the National Cycle Streetshield N2560.
It looks good, but it made no significant difference for around town. I suspect it would help at speeds of 60mph and up for long periods. I run it to keep the bugs and crud off my clothes.
For me, the wind shield wasn't worth the money.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:16:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question - Best Windshields?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.