Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it rich, lean, or Juuuust right? (Read 7 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Is it rich, lean, or Juuuust right?
01/07/07 at 18:28:39

After a bit over 100 miles I pulled the plug to look at it. The ceramic was almost as white as when I put it in. The ground probe was about spotless, there was black, soft soot on the threads. I don't understand that. I haven't pulled baffles yet. Starting on a cold, say uper 40's morning, no choke, fires right up. No hesitation like before the rejet. Without any more info, can anyone say if it's okay?I will say I am getting bad mileage, about 35 MPG, I had thought it was better, but, I checked it closely & Wooops,, 35. Soounds so fine between gears I am startin to use the clutch again. Not backfiring, just rumbling & burbling, a few blap blap sounds but no KerPOW stuff. I know this is not a scientific report but I have so little experience I am hoping it is enough for someone to give me a rough guideline,Thanks for your time.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Is it rich, lean, or Juuuust right?
Reply #1 - 01/07/07 at 18:48:17

Please restate what has been done to the carb at this point.  Did you make exhaust change?  My brain is dead tired and I cannot remember a thing right now.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 01/07/07 at 19:21:48

Quick question, how hard are you using the throttle? When I'm running my '02 with WOT thru the gears I'm lucky to get 40 mpg. Another thing I've found that ruins my gas milage is riding in traffic with the bike in third gear and using the engine to accelerate and slow with. On the other hand went on a 100 mile ride yesterday, took it easy and got almost 55mpg. I've been running a 152.5 main with the stock pilot jet and think it is a little lean but am just too lazy to change it. Sounds like you are close from the plug reading but can't explain the low gas milage. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/07 at 22:38:54

Running a 150 main, 8 baffles on the Trapp, approx. 300 ' above sea level.

I have changed the volume of the airbox between the filter & carb by about 500 cc, removed the ( oh man can't think of its name) rubber & opened the airbox entrance with a rotary bit, just a few square centimeters. Removed the foam rubber, not the hard rubber blocksfrom under the seat to get more flow under there. Stock ppilot, opened the idle mix screw in traffic the other day, wasn't counting, was at a light & had to go! But, it did knock a backfire out of it.

Throttle abuse! I know it. I run roads out here that are long enough to see 75 & 80 MPH regularly & hardly ever see 35 & 40. Not in town long, just get what I need & head back out thru the roads I like.

I discovered a bolt about worn half across the face today. The rearmost bolt on the front heat shield, by the right peg. fromn top to bottom, about 1/2 is worn off.I had no idea I was cornering that hard. Maybe I hit something, I dunno, but it's not bent, just worn. Pegs are a mess on the ends.
Today, after I filled up, I decided I would ride sanely a while & check the mileage.
Pulled the baffles tonite, slight soot. Black soot. Soft fluffy, but thin, very thin, layer inside the cap.  I am thinking stick the 55 pilot in it & add a couple baffles & see what it does.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/07/07 at 23:39:33

Forgot to mention, intermittent high idle, idle speed varies, starts with no choke real well, even with mid 40's temp. Never acted like it was needing choke. rode off, it felt fine. maybe I am leaking into the carb. It does smell rich when I pull into the garage.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 01/08/07 at 01:15:49

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The ceramic was almost as white as when I put it in.

When you read plugs you pay attention to the ceramic insulator. It should be chocolate brown. White indicates leaness. I'm running 3 sizes larger on my main jet and my bike runs great.

Do a throttle chop following these directions, then read the plug...

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Reading_Spark_Plugs_W44C551.cfm

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 01/08/07 at 06:32:40

Running a 150 main with the Trapp is a little bit lean, I'm using a drilled baffle sporty muffler with a 152.5 main and think I could go up to a 155. Of course since I don't use a Trapp I can't say how high you should go for the main. If you are not showing any color on the plug then maybe a 155 would do it, just a educated guess. The soot on the plug could come from when you shutdown the engine. The savage carb isn't the best in the world for performance tuning so a lot is keeping it a happy medium. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 01/08/07 at 09:27:42

If your smelling gas, check the vacuum line from the petc0ck.  There should be absolutely no gas in it.  You may need to give a lite suck (yukk!) on the tube if it is a small leak.  If that is leaking you need to modify or replace the petc0ck.  Info on mod is in tech section.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:26:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is it rich, lean, or Juuuust right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.