Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaky belt (Read 2 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Squeaky belt
01/07/07 at 00:30:20

I'm hearing a rubbing or a squeaking and it sounds like it could be coming from the belt drive.  I only hear it when the bikes off and I move the bike forward.  How do I go about lubing the belt?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Squeaky belt
Reply #1 - 01/07/07 at 00:33:29

Why sweat it? If it's only when the engine is off it's not a big deal. Some squeak pretty loud. Mines kinda loud. I put canning  wax on it. Candle wax is harder. I got a box of Gulf canning wax almost a year ago & still have most of it. Only takes a little, But, I wouldn't bother if I couldn't hear it running down the road.

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #2 - 01/07/07 at 00:34:36

Thanks!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/07/07 at 23:35:02

is the belt on too tight?  you should be able to turn it almost a 45 degree angle. it almost will seem loose on the pully. thats the way its supposed to be. mine squeaked alot till i loosened it. i hate to admit it but i have sprayed just a tab of WD_40 on the pully and it stops the squeak. not derectly on the belt. its a 02 and the belt is still in good shape.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/08/07 at 00:14:53

45*? I been makin it loose enough to get 90* out of it. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere on this board. I know 1 thing for sure. That gizmo they sold me was a joke! Dang belt squeaks no matter how I adjust it. I even took the guards off & used a string to align the pulleys.( imagine the "wrong answer" buzzer on a game show here.)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/08/07 at 12:06:46

Yep.  90o is the trick.

You can try to align the rear wheel (to center the belt) but since the pulley is rubber cushioned there is still a certain amount of floating there.  Push/ pull on the side of the pulley to see what I mean...it's always gonna float the belt, side to side.

The best that I've found for aligning our rear wheel is to just use the stamped marks.  Good enough.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/08/07 at 17:28:07

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Why sweat it? If it's only when the engine is off it's not a big deal. Some squeak pretty loud. Mines kinda loud. I put canning  wax on it. Candle wax is harder. I got a box of Gulf canning wax almost a year ago & still have most of it. Only takes a little, But, I wouldn't bother if I couldn't hear it running down the road.
what part of the belt do you wax??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/07 at 18:22:24

I take a chunk O wax & drag it back & forth on the teeth, top & bottom.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 01/09/07 at 05:06:00

Start with a clean belt. Use water and soap, rinse and let dry.
Put some talcum powder on the DRY belt.
Get the rearwheel off the floor, if you have not done so previously when cleaning the belt.
Thighten the axle so much that the adjusters can be adjusted with a spanner ( not by hand).
That way you eliminate the cushioning of the rubber dampers in the rear pulley.
Tighten 1/4 of a turn evenly left and right while turning the rearwheel.
Observe the belt running in/on the middle of the pulley.
Stop tightening ( the adjusters) when you can twist the belt to 90 degrees with your fingers.
Torquetighten the rearaxle and the locknuts of the adjusters.
Lower the bike and your done.

Works fine for me. If the belt squeaks, mostly in the rain I don't bother. If you can't stand the noise, wax the SIDES of the belt.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/11/07 at 04:13:05

Greg! I have been meaning to ask this question for along time and never got around to it. with the wheel on the bike i have noticed i can push in the  pully slightly. Is that supposed to happen? It has drove me crazy!  I kept thinking I had put the wheel on wrong but I have taken it off many times now and its the same thing, a little play! I was actually nervous riding it like that. thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/11/07 at 05:52:52

Obviously, I a,m not Greg. I will toss my .02 in here, cuz it gives me something to do & I can't sleep! The pulley is really just hanging there, riding on the axle & with fingers poked into the rubber CUSH that soaks up torque shock. Mine can be wobbled from side to side a pretty good ways. I guess when I gas it the torque must surely thingy that pulley to the side pretty hard. I wish the outboard edge was more secure in its fron to rear travel myself. Greg. How much travel here is acce[table? Anyone?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 01/11/07 at 09:36:11

ls 650 service man gives no spec for the cushions..only inspect for wear or damage...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/11/07 at 10:54:53

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg! I have been meaning to ask this question for along time and never got around to it. with the wheel on the bike i have noticed i can push in the  pully slightly. Is that supposed to happen? It has drove me crazy!  I kept thinking I had put the wheel on wrong but I have taken it off many times now and its the same thing, a little play! I was actually nervous riding it like that. thanks

Not to worry.  I mentioned this in another post...and John is correct too.

The pulley is mounted on bearings on the axle, and sandwiched between spacers and the wheel.  It drives the wheel through contact with rubber cushions.  The pulley will seem a little loose because the bearings themselves have play between the inside and outside races...and that little bit of play translates to a noticeable amount up at the pulley rim.  Nature of the beast.

That is why I suggest that wheel alignment for the purpose of belt and pulley alignment is kinda useless.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaky belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.