ANTIQUE CAR TIRE (Read 9 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
ANTIQUE CAR TIRE
01/04/07 at 21:00:31

THE NEW DUNLAP 404 (140/90/15) I PUT ON LAST SPRING DOES NOT EVEN HAVE 7000 YET AND IS ALL MOST GONE.  I PUT A NEW ONE ON THE FRONT AT THE SAME TIME AND IT STILL LOOKS GOOD , NOT EVEN HALF GONE YET. I'LL CONFESS TO ENJOYING THAT MID-RANGE OF THE SAVAGE BUT AN LOOKING FOR A LONGER LASTING TIRE.   I HAVE A MIND TO PUT A MICHELIN 135R15 CAR TIRE ON IT.  THE FIT IS OK AND WHERE I LIVE THE FLAT TREAD IS OK ,,, BUT HOW ABOUT THE CORDS INSIDE THE TIRE???  
AM I THE FIRST TO THINK OF THIS OR HAS ANYONE TRIED IT YET...
I DID A LITTLE REASEARCH AND THE EARLY MOTORCYCLES HAD FLAT TREAD PATTERNS AND THAT FIRST BIKE PROBLEY USED CAR TIRES.
I KINDA SUPPECT THE ROUND TIRE PATTERN CAME OFF THE RACE TRACK WITH WINNING RACES.
BACK TO THE CORDS  ANY INFO. WILL BE HELPFUL L

THANKS

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: ANTIQUE CAR TIRE
Reply #1 - 01/04/07 at 21:22:33

Well, I have seen the tires you refer to. Is it safe? I dunno. I wouldn't want to find out, either, cuz I enjoy slingin the thing thru turns & I am sure that kind of tire would put an end to that. If you are happy cruising slow & steady thru turns & run in straight lines most of the time it just might be the tire for you. Regarding the construction. That bike is so light the tire will think it is in storage. I don't see how it would be possible to induce damage on any commercially available tire of modern manufacture. How old is the tire?

Anyway, they do look cool.

7,000 is as much as I get from my beloved ProMaxx by maxiss. Pretty cheap tire, I think it's very good traction, but haven't tried the Metz or anything else.How much $$$ was the Dunlop?

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #2 - 01/04/07 at 21:40:15

Motorcycle tires are different from car tires.
 1. Motorcycle tires have a round cross-section because bikes turn by gyroscopic action. A bike leans in turns so your tire contacts the road higher on the radius of its cross-section. When using a car tire on a motorcycle the contact would be on the edge of the flat bottom surface, giving you a very small contact patch. The edges will wear off quickly, and not grip when you need grip the most.
 2. Motorcycle tires are gumballs. This means they are of a softer composition rubber so they will stick to the road. Car tires are hard composition for high milage. Performance car tires are also softer composition so the car will stick to the road. The penalty for soft composition is less tire miles.
Hard composition tires are bad for a motorcycle because they will slip easier in turns, and you could rub off a pound of your flesh.
BTW. How many miles do those NASCAR boys get out of a set of tires? Maybe 100 miles? All the rubber is left on the speedway. Grip, Grip, Grip.

Stay with tires designed for your machine and you will " live long and prosper".

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 01/05/07 at 08:50:06

If you want to compare low mileage tires, try the tires on a dragster.   Probably less than 10 miles per set.

I have a 140-90-15 D404 on the back of Thumper.  It has close to 10,000 miles on it and is close to needing replacement (no cord showing yet.)  Front tires get a lot less wear, replaced the OEM with a D404 at about 13,000; if it lasts like the rear compared with the OEM rear I can expect over 20K from it.

A big advantage of running a car tire rather than a bike tire is that you'll never have to worry about scraping a peg -- you'll slide out long before you get anywhere near that much lean.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 01/05/07 at 09:02:02

Car Tires are commonly referred to as "Darkside Tires" amongst motorcyclists ... over at Intruderalert.com some of the heavy-weight Cruiser guys (i.e. 1400/1500 Intruder, Valkerie, etc.) claim to use a rear "darkside" tire without issue and seem to be very happy with their choice ... BTW, I'm guessing that "darkside" tire on an m/c would only work on non-spoked (tubeless) wheels?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 01/05/07 at 20:04:24

Hi PerryaSavage

Thanks for the update.  I checked out the (Dark side tires) @ Intruderalert.com site and am more convenced than ever to go ahead with the 135r15 from michelin.  Coker tire co. has a lot of modern tire designs in sizes for the antique cars, they go all the way up to 26 inch rims. and down to 125r15 size and smaller.  I think 135r15 is 5.0 " wide and the 145r15 is 5.4" wide.  My140/90/15 is 5.25"with little to spare.
Well thanks again and have a blessed day.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/05/07 at 20:41:11

I've read of GoldWing owners using car tires. Fine for going straight but they say they're hard to lean over & once they're up on that cornered part of the tire the handling gets weird.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #7 - 01/05/07 at 22:14:18

Yikes!

Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 01/06/07 at 03:26:03

MMRanch ... I looked up that Michelin tire you are considering and it looks fabulous! Seems to have a much more rounded profile than modern car tires! You'd never wear the thing out and I bet it would look awesome on the a$$ of an LS650 Bobber project! Good luck and let us know how y'all make out with that (post pics!!)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/06/07 at 10:58:05

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:14:00 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 01/06/07 at 15:34:31

Putting a car tire on a bike might sound great in theory, better tire life, less expensive and all around more economical but you are asking a car tire to act like a motorcycle tire. It might work great for normal use but let you down at the worst possible moment while under extreme braking or a sharp turn to advoid a cager who jumped out in front of you. I'd hate to be on the bike and find out that it wasn't such a good idea after all. Keep the car tires on a car and motorcycle tires on a motorcycle.  JMHO on it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:22:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ANTIQUE CAR TIRE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.