Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
easy way to make plug cap leak worse (Read 11 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

easy way to make plug cap leak worse
01/03/07 at 09:21:09

last september i sprayed my engine with degreaser and hosed it down with high pressure water to get rid of some oily grime from the plug cap leak. I sprayed real good into the head opening where the plug cap sits and am pretty sure the high pressure water pushed the plug cap upwards a little / widened the poorly sealed area of the cap cause after that she began leaking like a seive.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: easy way to make plug cap leak worse
Reply #1 - 01/03/07 at 09:42:41

That proves that a dirty bike leaks less than a clean bike.

Smiley

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/03/07 at 10:59:41

Thanks for the advice Greg. Jr. tried to buy me a "Master Blaster" for Christmas. I told him not to waste his money, I rarely wash the little Sumbeach, Once a year seems to be sufficient, it drives me crazy to have to wait until they get their bikes clean so we can go ride. I do wipe it down to keep it looking good but have seen too many "stuck" at the car wash or detailers trying to find out why it won't start.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/03/07 at 11:27:07

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I rarely wash the little Sumbeach, Once a year seems to be sufficient,

You know what? I wish some times I could be like that. I am always detailing my stuff. Even when I had dirt bikes, I kept them spotless between rides. I always say "someday I am going to build a rat bike," but my friends tell me that will never happen. Scheese, it's a curse I tell ya.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/03/07 at 11:43:55

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks for the advice Greg. Jr. tried to buy me a "Master Blaster" for Christmas. I told him not to waste his money, I rarely wash the little Sumbeach, Once a year seems to be sufficient, it drives me crazy to have to wait until they get their bikes clean so we can go ride. I do wipe it down to keep it looking good but have seen too many "stuck" at the car wash or detailers trying to find out why it won't start.

That's funny too...I've always used car washes on my bikes, and have never had a problem.

I do have my own little steps, though...I spray the tires and wheels first, while the engine cools.  Then I slowly start spraying the engine gradually so that I don't shock it (don't know if it matters...what happens in the rain after all?)...and all the time I try not to totally saturate areas that might be vulnerable like intakes and wiring.

If you think about it...if you ever get caught in a downpour, with all that water at road speed that splashes off the front tire...  What's the problem?

I've only had 1 bike stall from getting too wet...but you could only see the handlbars when that happened Smiley

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 01/03/07 at 11:45:32

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
last september i sprayed my engine with degreaser and hosed it down with high pressure water to get rid of some oily grime from the plug cap leak. I sprayed real good into the head opening where the plug cap sits and am pretty sure the high pressure water pushed the plug cap upwards a little / widened the poorly sealed area of the cap cause after that she began leaking like a seive.

Thanks for the timely advise / reminder. My '87 has a slight leak at the cap plug, and I was actually considering taking it to the car wash today. This will be it's first bath since I've owned it. It was almost certian that I would have sprayed the area hard to get the oil off. I DON'T want to get mine started leaking worse right now, as I was hoping to get a few more rides in before tearing into it for routine maintenence and modifications during the worst of winter here (Jan-Feb).

The amount of mods I can pull off this winter are limited by a pretty short budget this year though. Anyone need to buy a guitar? I'm sitting on over 40 now, and only about 10-12 do I really consider "mine." Got a couple of amps to spare too. About time to hit eBait and convert guitars into motorcycle money.  Cheesy

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 01/03/07 at 16:31:37

I found that a can of engine degreaser and a garden hose with no sprayer worked fine taking the oil off till I got my plug leak fixed. HIH

WWW   IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #7 - 01/04/07 at 17:33:45

just use a spray bottle with fast orange. let her soak a few min and rinse with the hose. finish with a blow dry ( courtesy of the leaf blower) 15 min tops!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/05/07 at 09:02:25

When I DO wash my bike I use one of the hose end sprayers made for applying fertilizer & such. I just add the car wash liquid & use a gentle spray, rinse, wipe & ride it dry. I only have so much time to ride & can't see wasting time detailing. If I was into detailing, I'd never get to ride. S-I-L thinks he has to have his bike spot free before we can ride, I tell him to dust off the tank area that he can see & let's go.
But when I was young & dumb I washed my car every night on the way in from work. Thought it improved my image, only exhausted my pocketbook. ???

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/05/07 at 14:43:16

So, what's everyone one do if they're caught in the rain?

I've done 55-60 on the interstate in the pouring rain with the K&N filter....not a sputter or anything for over an hour of riding.  Good old southern thunderstorm too.  I know that everything was totally soaked.  That front fender doesn't keep water off the engine, either.

The only thing that I notice is that the engine is classically cold blooded with all the water cooling.

I for one use a car wash...

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/05/07 at 14:51:47

I use a car wash too I just don't spray hard into the cavity where that pesky little plug cap resides.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 01/05/07 at 14:58:22

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
So, what's everyone one do if they're caught in the rain?

??????????????????????

Keep riding... duh!

Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/05/07 at 14:59:17

Right.  I don't spray things that are shielded like the electronics either.  It's a matter of using the old noggin.

A car wash certainly takes some of the hard work out of getting in tight places.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:35:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › easy way to make plug cap leak worse

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.