Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scheduled maintenance, am I missing something? (Read 1 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Scheduled maintenance, am I missing something?
01/03/07 at 07:32:21

I saw a post regarding a plug & some certain goopucky to put on it at 600 miles & such. I am only adjusting valves & checking the decomp & changing oil. Am I missing something?Sure would hate to have something go to pieces & you all say"You didn't adjust THAAAT!? OHH NNOOO!" & me just stand there goin :'( Noooooo. daaangittt.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Scheduled maintenance, am I missing something?
Reply #1 - 01/03/07 at 09:19:02

Check out the infamous plug leak in the Tech Ref section.  There's a plug you would need to remove to torque one of the bolts.  When you replace it, you should use the newer plug version and seal it with high-temp silicone, though the service manual says nothing about using a sealant.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/03/07 at 09:51:00

I haven't messed with the head bolts. It doesn't seem to be a problem. I hope I still think that in a year.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 01/03/07 at 10:05:15

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I saw a post regarding a plug & some certain goopucky to put on it at 600 miles & such. I am only adjusting valves & checking the decomp & changing oil. Am I missing something?Sure would hate to have something go to pieces & you all say"You didn't adjust THAAAT!? OHH NNOOO!" & me just stand there goin :'( Noooooo. daaangittt.

Do you have a manual?  Go with those recommendations, and use the Technical Corner when you have questions.

Goopucky is always good to have around, too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/03/07 at 10:13:16

Yep, got a Zuki manual. I just hesitate to go messing with head bolts. Seems just fine. I wonder after 13,500 miles how big a deal is it to retorque?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/03/07 at 10:40:53

Don't hesitate to do anything if you have the tools and a manual.

The head bolts need to be retorqued as specified due to all the thermal expansions/contractions that go on in the first few miles.

Everything; studs, copper washers, head gaskets all go through some sort of settling in and that is why you retorque...essentially, the torque value on the stud/nuts becomes reduced in the break-in process.

You just have to do it correctly this first time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/07 at 10:56:27

You do know you were sposed to say" Since it's made it this long it must be fine. The engineers are obviously just covering their butts. Don't worry about it." Ohh bt Noooooo, you hadda go insist I do it. Well, awwright buster, but if it craps out, my bikes oil is on YOUR hands!
Now I gotta look up the specs. Woo Hoo the good part is I have that thing scattered all over the garage right now anyway. Thanks, I will do it before I stick it all back together.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/03/07 at 12:00:41

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
You do know you were sposed to say" Since it's made it this long it must be fine. The engineers are obviously just covering their butts. Don't worry about it." Ohh bt Noooooo, you hadda go insist I do it. Well, awwright buster, but if it craps out, my bikes oil is on YOUR hands!
Now I gotta look up the specs. Woo Hoo the good part is I have that thing scattered all over the garage right now anyway. Thanks, I will do it before I stick it all back together.

Smiley

When I first got involved in this discussion was in 2000, right after I took my new Savage to the dealer for that first check.  Soon after that, my plug leak started...and the rest is a long long long string of online posts.

When the leak started I decided to fix it myself (since I had satisfied that warranty thing)...I didn't know about online Savage groups or that a plug was in there, but I did buy the SSM.  On tear down, I learned alot...the d@mn mechanic didn't seal the plug when he retorqued my head...
....and here I am.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 01/03/07 at 15:38:56

Six thousand miles on my '02 and I've never checked the head bolts. If your in the engine that far then check them but I'm not planning to go in that far for at least another 4,000 miles.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 01/03/07 at 16:38:49

If the head cover is already off, change the plug now and retourqe the head bolts insted of taking it apart again in 3000 miles when/if it starts to leak. If the head cover is still on just check the ones you can get to and leave the plug in there till it starts to leak.

This may be bad advice but it is my advice and I'll give it all I want to. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #10 - 01/03/07 at 18:40:19

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
When I first got involved in this discussion was in 2000, right after I took my new Savage to the dealer for that first check.  Soon after that, my plug leak started...and the rest is a long long long string of online posts.

When I asked at the "Shop", What happens at the 600 mile sevice that majkes it soooo important I was told Everything. Then I asked them to define, Everything. Versions are different depending on who you ask.

The question becomes did they torque the head bolts or not. I vote for No. Not as another opportunity to kick a "D"ship but that would be inline with other past experiences. Just something that I need to do and follow up after the the job has been done and paid for.
(Did I kick hard enough?)
I got the tools, manual and Clymers and the forum, thier gonna have to let another monkey go....

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/03/07 at 22:31:58

Oh, I some much agree...

Did I ever mention that when I went to get my scoot after the "everything first warranty service" that they had to give me a new battery because some idiot left my bike parked with the key in the Park position....I had to wait for them to fix it...

....and these are "certified" Suzuki mechanics Smiley

Buy a SSM and do your own service, is my choice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:24:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Scheduled maintenance, am I missing something?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.