Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250? (Read 57 times)
ickb
Ex Member

Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250?
01/03/07 at 01:40:44

I have about 4800mi on my Honda Rebel city and highway. I have no oil leaking, no backfiring or no other related quirks on the Rebel. I have no problems riding the Rebel 250 in city streets or at highway speeds of an indicated 75+mph if I have to keep up with traffic. I just keep to service recommendations, clean and oil the chain, check oil, fill it with gas and the Rebel pretty much takes care of itself.

I've done a search on this board and found all the Savage/S40 threads, reading former threads.

Bringing up an old subject, but a different topic on.. "How reliable is the S40 compared to the Rebel 250.  As was previously mentioned we know about the back-fire problem cured by working the carb, the oil leak problem on the oil plug. Gasket integrity may not be as good as the Rebel. Ergonomics is the similar as I had test rode an S40, with more torque and power.. but not as flickable as the Rebel 250.

The only reason why I bring this up is that my present secondary bike is the Honda Silverwing 600. It rides great, a lot of recalls when it first came out.. but very automotive like the Goldwing in a scooter-motorcycle way. I'm definitely addicted to the Rebel 250 and won't give it up; but I would consider the S40 even though I know it isn't as comfortable nor as powerful as the Silverwing.

When I'm riding my Rebel, I know I'm on a motorcycle and enjoy the pleasure of riding a motorcycle. When I had my former Goldwing and now Silverwing, there are times I feel more like I'm in a car with 2 wheels. Other than all the recalls on the Silverwing that I had to perform when I first got it, then having all the rattles taken out of the plastic pieces with 'stick tape' --the Silverwing runs great.

What I am saying I would rather have 2 reliable motorcycles and willing to forego the comfort of the Silverwing scooter, but not at the expense of reliability..

I love the ergonomics, simplicity and style of the S40.. Having never owned the Suzuki Savage/S40 how reliable is the Savage/S40 on a day to day basis.. and what type of ‘quirks’ am I up against if I pick up the S40 ???

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250?
Reply #1 - 01/03/07 at 03:28:41

I've only put 3,900 miles on mine but it's never stranded me. Almost did once, but that's from me screwing up the vacuum hose after a carb mod. It earned my trust in 2 1/2 years & I'd gladly take it across the country, along with a bottle of painkillers. Grin I'd like to see how many miles I could get out of it but it's getting traded in for a V-Strom this Saturday.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 01/03/07 at 03:49:50

I'm a daily rider and would take mine anywhere, leaving the wrenches at the house. There isn't a more reliable motorcycle made in my opinion. With enough seat time the comfort becomes a non-issue and the only "quirk" to me would be the belt squeal, though mine hasn't squealed since taking the wheel off the last time to put on the HD fender. One question though, how can you say that it is not as powerful as a 600 silverwing? Have you ever rode a Savage/S40?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/03/07 at 07:10:17

This is the only bike I've had for any length of time. It is also the most fun to diddle with. Stock, runs okay, good mileage, Ho screamin HUMMM. Had an electrical gremlin, well, still have it, but installed an 'Emergency" start button under the frame at the right front corner of the seat. Now I can go when I want. The clutch & kickstand interlock switches are known problems. The solution is simple, effective, free and offers the opportunity to familiarize yourself with you bike.The valve adjustment is simple.I am glad I don't have hands the size of catchers mits , tho, cuz the room there is tight.Tank removal prior to everything except washing the thing gets a bit tedious.The spark plug door became something I decided was a good enough idea to do it, finally. Had I done it sooner I could have avoided 2 tank removals.The buzzing in the odometer is easily fixed with some thin adhesive backed foam between the speedo & tank. NOw, it's reliable as any machine & the little daily stuff that just irritate are addressed.Reliability can be negatively affected by riding style & maintenance habits. Lousy maintenance habits couled with a harsh riding style & I don't see this one staying under anyone.I've seen 85,000 miles on a savage. Bikes don't see that kind of mileage if they aren't dependable.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 01/03/07 at 08:25:38

When I had my Savage, I rode it daily. It was not 100% reliable, but was easily fixed. There are things on the Rebel that are the same way. For example: I would say the Rebel chain drive is going to be less reliable than the Savage belt, but it would be easier to fix. I wouldn't want to take either MC for a 3,000 mile trip, and not just because they wouldn't be reliable, but just because they aren't made for that kind of cycling.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 01/03/07 at 09:18:02

small things that tend to go bad:

ignition switch (semi rare), side stand interlock, fuel petcock, battery.  all of these can prevent the bike from starting.

one big problem is that the cam chain tensioners tend to go bad anywhere from 15k miles to 25k miles.  fairly easy to repair.  I have two and love them both.

IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/07 at 12:47:10

Quote:
One question though, how can you say that it is not as powerful as a 600 silverwing? Have you ever rode a Savage/S40? by steelwolf

Yes, steelwolf. I was able to test drive the S40. Regarding the feeling of 'raw torque' at low RPMs the S40 has the lead. I am looking at the S40 as a communter bike and not as a touring bike which is where the Silverwing excels. You can cruise 90+ all day long on the Silverwing with no vibration. There is a speedlimiter on the Silverwing that kicks in at an indicated 110mph. The claimed HP on the S40 is said to be about 30hp while the Silverwing claim is about 48hp. Since I never dynoed these bikes personally, I can't vouch for the figures above other than what I read.. and the short S40 test drive does not classify me worthy to comment on the S40 reliability Lips Sealed .

I'm not looking at the S40 with regards to horsepower or a touring bike. I have owned 2 Hayabusas of which one was stolen.. and after having 2 sportbikes and 1 Harley Road King Classic stolen.. I have bought bikes that are on the "least stolen list".

I just haven't had the opportunity to drive the S40 on a day to day basis like many of you do on this forum.  I don't consider my test drive experience on the S40 to be an accurate accessment to those of you who have ridden your Savage/S40 on a day-to-day, year-to-year basis. I do like the ergonomics, belt drive, simplicity of the S40 and it is these qualities within given parameters of hopeful 'Reliability' that I am considering buying the S40.

FYI - The Silverwing rides nicely now, but dealing with the recalls of the real wheel, gas tank, handle bars, centerstand by Honda with the Silverwing sometime 2 months in the shop waiting for parts on recalls was not encouraging. Then the headache of getting the rattles out of the plastics pieces, faulty fork seals going out, etc. It's a nice long distance and daily commuter, but I wouldn't buy another Silverwing. I've already been through 2 Honda Reflexes in 2006 Angry and very disappointed with 'Quality Control' on the Reflex.

I've had no problems and no quirks with the Suzuki Hayabusa during the 3 years of ownership between both Hayabusas. I would have no problems buying another Hayabusa, but until the theft issue is resolved..
I rather be riding Smiley than constant worry about my motorcycles being stolen Embarrassed

IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Thank you for your quick responses
Reply #7 - 01/03/07 at 12:59:33

Thank you for your quick responses to my question Cheesy I am aware the S40 is a "niche market" serving a specific purpose much like the Honda Rebel. My question was directed regarding reliability  and the ability to EXCEL within this "niche market" of using S40/Savage as a daily commuter on city streets and highway cruising Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/03/07 at 13:07:40

I ride and abuse mine as much as I can.  it keeps ticking.  vibey on the highway, and a little slow after 65 mpoh or so, in stock form, anyway.  It will do all that you want for at least 10k miles.  after that, the cam chain tensioenr is likely to need replacing.  if you don't replace it, you can really screw up the engine.  all the stuff I mentioned above can make it not start, but there are ways around that.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #9 - 01/03/07 at 13:17:41

The basic form of  the S40 has been around for 20 or so years (although there were some gaps here in the US).  Like the Rebel, Shadows, etc., they've had a chance to work the vast majority of bugs out of the bike.  

No bike is 100% reliable, as I'm sure you know.  But the S40 isn't likely to let you down when you need it.  The only problem I've had is one that I caused through my own bad decision (and resulted in a crash course in carbs).

I would have no reservations about the reliabilty of the S40 as use as a commuter (having, after all, used a Savage as such for several years).  When I first bought it I considered the 250s of various makes, and decided on the LS650 for it's extra power (commuting 45 minutes at speeds ranging from 35 to 55, mostly at 50mph).  If I only had my present commute, I may have gone with a 250 (20-30mph) for it's slightly lower weight and "flickability."  I don't know that it is any more reliable than the rebel, but it's certainly reliable.  And as noted, when something does go wrong, it's easy to fix.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/03/07 at 13:37:44

I would take a Savage against a Rebel 250 any day!  I did read something interesting today in wikipedia.

The Savage utilizes Suzuki's "Big Single" power plant, a ~30 horsepower air-cooled , 652 cubic centimeter, 4-stroke one cylinder, SOHC engine, affectionately known as a "Thumper" engine. This engine had a serious durability issue, caused by the combination of plain camshaft bearings and almost two feet of oil feed line to the cylinder head. The long oil feed meant that after a cold start, the camshaft ran dry for several seconds, leading to frequent camshaft seizures in the long run.

Wow is there really 2 feet of oil line wraped up in there?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 01/03/07 at 14:13:10

I've never heard of a savage having camshaft seizure due to starting oil pressure concerns.  Setting the idle rpm too low could cause this problem, though.

IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/03/07 at 14:56:08

I understand where you are coming from, as right now my 2001 Rebel is my daily commuter. My commute is short, but with over 9k on the Honda, its reliability has been perfect. I have replaced the original tires, but that's it! I have babied the bike from new and still average 80 mpg day in and day out.  I would not hesitate to take the Honda anywhere.  I bought my Savage because I want a bike that is physically bigger than the Honda.  I am hoping that after my initial repairs/restoration is done, the Savage will be a reliable commuter.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #13 - 01/03/07 at 15:20:21

You will not be dissapointed. Wink

WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #14 - 01/03/07 at 18:54:21

Smiley  Ickb, I have a 2006 S40 I bought in July and have 2850 milers on it.  I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and have run around 70+ MPH with them for about 75 miles at a time.  I ride it mostly as a commuter back and forth to work, around 12 miles round trip.  Back and forth to work I am going anywhere from 25 MPH to 65 MPH.  So far, it has run flawless.
As far as power goes, it stays with the HDs on acceleration going on the highways, and has no problem keeping up with them during passing accelerartions within reason.  I have road it on 400 mile round trip with the PGR, and it was beginning to get a little uncomfortable at the end of the day, but nothing severe.  I get around 58 to 64 MPG depending on the type of riding I do.  The S40 feels very happy at speeds between 50 and 65.
To sum it all up, the S40 is a great little bike and very dependable.  In two years I may think about going to the S50 or C50, but it has nothing to do with the way the S40 rides.
You have to love the S40 as is, for what it is.
Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:39:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.