Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250? (Read 57 times)
ickb
Ex Member

Re: Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250?
Reply #15 - 01/03/07 at 20:56:01

I will look into the S40. I'm like "steveh", basically keeping my Rebel, but want something similar on 'steroids', but not looking toward a GXR or V-Twin; since, I've already had these bikes before.

Jim_R, I also saw the camshaft seizures and 2 feet of oil plumbing in wikipedia to my surprise before joining this forum and it also had me curious. It seems that the S40 has enough problems from the get go with the 'back firing' issue, the 'oil plug' issue and even oil leaking issue, which seems common  Angry.  Something I have to address and fix upon taking ownership of an S40. The S40 I test drove did back fire. Some of the other issues on the board regarding 'cam chain' and other parts that can wear out in time with normal use.

firsts40 -it looks like the performance and top speed of the S40 is very similar to the Rebel except the S40 accelerates quicker to get to speed. I felt this immediately during my test drive on the S40 even though I didn't have a chance to get it on the freeway and test it at highway speeds.

Much like the early Harleys where you expected problems before even buying a Harley. By the time I picked up my Road King Classic the bugs were worked out... no oil leaks, smooth at highway speeds with the rubber mounts, 110mph indicated top speed. The minor problems had been worked out. More servicing for the Harley with oil change and service every 2500mi intervals Shocked Hoping that most of the bugs are worked out of the S40 so I can ride and enjoy without constant tinkering I had to do on some of the other bikes I've owned Tongue

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 01/03/07 at 21:20:28

ickb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Jim_R, I also saw the camshaft seizures and 2 feet of oil plumbing in wikipedia to my surprise before joining this forum and it also had me curious.

Keep in mind that Wikipedia can be written by anyone. Take that report with a grain of salt. These are very well engineered bikes which have been produced since the late 80s. There's no problem with oil pressure at low rpms. They would never make it past the design stage if that were true.

Quote:
it looks like the performance and top speed of the S40 is very similar to the Rebel except the S40 accelerates quicker to get to speed.

Not even close. The S40 will cruise comfortably at 65 or 70 all day. The Rebel will not.

As for comparing the reliability - Hondas are renowned for their durability. They typically last a very long time. The S40/LS650 is a great bike too. It has a few minor quirks but nothing that would detract from it's reliability. Just get one and ride the tires off it. It will take it. It's an extremely fun bike that does most everything well - around town cruising, highway riding, twisties.

The Rebel is a great bike but it's only a 250. It is quite limited on the top end which keeps it from being used much for extended highway riding. No such worries with the S40.

IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/03/07 at 22:44:07

Quote:
Keep in mind that Wikipedia can be written by anyone.

I am aware of this and Wikipedia can also be modified by anyone so the information is only as accurate as the person's input or modifications to the information. It was just strange to see why someone would mention this 'camshaft' issue and ignore the 'backfire' and 'oil plug' issue which is more prevalent.

Quote:
Not even close. The S40 will cruise comfortably at 65 or 70 all day. The Rebel will not.
This is my second Rebel and I have no problems maintaining a cruising speed of 75+mph. It is not GPS certified, but I also had my speedometer pegged past 85+mph on the Honda Rebel 250.

One thing I have to agree is that while going 70+mph, I don't trust the Rebel in trying to past cars by out accelerating them. I've done it before, I just don't trust the Rebel much when I am passing a car going 70+mph.

On something like a 650 Savage and above. Personal weight doesn't have much to do with how fast you can go. If you see many of the riders on a Harley, you can understand why they are called HOGs... some of them have to be tipping the scales at 280-300+lbs.

When I weighed 170lbs on my first Rebel, 85 mph was like 'seeing my life pass before my eyes' Shocked while riding my Busa, RC51, Valkyrie, Goldwing, BMW, Harley, etc. made no difference. I put myself on a diet loss 40lbs and dropped to 130lbs. at 5'6" made a big difference in riding the Rebel 250 Grin. Granted a man standing at 6'5" and 280-300lbs would barely fit on a Rebel 250 let alone be able to ride one comfortably.

Losing weight in my gut area of 40lbs made cruising the Rebel at 70-80mph no problem. I just like the "lazy" torque acceleration power of the S40 from a standing start while I have to rev the Rebel harder to get up to speed. If I drop below 130lbs, I'll be more anorexic than thin.. more dangerous than being slightly overweight and not worth the risk to my health just to get the Rebel 250 to pull less weight Embarrassed

It is good to hear that the S40 can cruise at a decent 70+mph. Doing a Google search often leads to articles on both the S40 and Rebel 250 saying that 60-65mph is as fast as they go Sad . Owners like yourself who ride the S40 on a day to day basis know better than the magazine writer who borrows a bike for the weekend then claims to be an expert on the bike Angry  The Rebel is my daily commuter while my Silverwing is now basically my backup bike Grin

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #18 - 01/04/07 at 06:30:37

i have not seen a cam shaft seizure/failure on this forum, and we have bikes all over the world, in every type of riding condition. other than normal wear and tear, and a couple of quirks, these things a quite sturdy.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #19 - 01/04/07 at 10:39:12

Yes, it is truth. There are more seized LS cams, than all the rest of the bikes together.Why ?
1. Savages have needle conn. rod bearings, so they don't damage the crank. The rest of the bikes start knocking and the engine gets replaced.
2.650cc and only 2qt oil, so You have to watch more.
3.Cheap beginner's bike. Most of the owners are not capable to maintain even a bicycle. The same applies to the Rebel, the only thing is that the Savage is a real bike and it is more tempting to keep high speeds.
In my opinion all the real problems are caused by the owner's stupidity and negligence.
Just for the record- in this moment i have a seized 4000 mile Rebel engine, just because the former owner was riding it on the highway  between Phx and Cassa Grande for less than a month and did not bother to check the oil.
Like a summary- Savage is as reliable as the Rebel, cost just about the same, weights just about the same, has a better sitting position /yes, it is truth/, doesn't have the air filter box and the battery box digging in the tighs of shorter riders, the gas consumption is a little higher /50 compared with 60 mpg/. So far they are the same, but like a fun factor I'd give Savage 5 stars and I'd give Rebel 2 stars.
The decidion is Yours.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #20 - 01/04/07 at 12:29:26

ickb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
This is my second Rebel and I have no problems maintaining a cruising speed of 75+mph. It is not GPS certified, but I also had my speedometer pegged past 85+mph on the Honda Rebel 250.

All Hondas are off by about 5 mph. That's still pretty fast Smiley It is a very capable machine but not one I'd want to spend much time on the Interstate on. My Savage is quite happy at 65-75 mph after I replaced the muffler and rejetted it.

Hondas are very reliable. The water cooled models even more so.

You'll be happy with an S40. It feels like a 250 but can do much more.

IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Slavy what is your recommendation(s)?
Reply #21 - 01/04/07 at 13:41:07

Slavy, I understand your point of view fo how the S40 camshafts can seize on an S40 as you made a comparison with the seized Rebel engine. Low to No engine oil = engine problems.

What is your recommendation(s)? Make sure you have enough engine oil in the S40?.. or because of the needle bearings the S40 is more prone than other motorcycles to have problems? ???

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/04/07 at 13:48:15

Without getting into the reliability issue, which I believe is more a matter of how a bike is cared for and ridden than the manufacturer.

I have owned both bikes and one thing that hasn't really been mentioned yet (or if it was I missed it) is the importance of being able to jump out of the way of other traffic when necessary and there is no way the Rebel can compare.

That fact alone made me feel much safer on the Savage.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #23 - 01/04/07 at 14:17:26

Answer about the kind of connecting rod bearings:
 The most of the bikes have plain crank shaft bearings that are more sensitive to lack of oil /like an example  - extended wheelies/. The Savage doesn't have this problem, so instead of havving a bad crank shaft, first You end up with damaged cam shaft journals, lobes,  and damaged rocker arms if You don't have enough lubrication. Usually the nasty knock is enough to stop You before You hurt the rest of the engine.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/05/07 at 18:54:32

Quote:
I have owned both bikes and one thing that hasn't really been mentioned yet (or if it was I missed it) is the importance of being able to jump out of the way of other traffic when necessary and there is no way the Rebel can compare.  

That fact alone made me feel much safer on the Savage.

That is one of the main aspects as I am looking at the S40. I'm not concerned with top end speed. It is said the Ninja 250 can do an indicated 110 which I have done before with the Ninja 250 before. You have to rev the Ninja 250 hard. The torque on the S40 is right there to give you the jump from a standing start without reving it hard Cheesy from what I read on this board going an indicated 110mph is not something that the S40 is capable, neither is the Rebel 250.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 01/05/07 at 19:39:49

Whether the Honda will outlast the Zooki or not, I dunno. I can say this, tho, I am ahving an absolutely oBSCENE amount of fun with the Zooki. The people here have taught me things & given me the courage to"go for it" on things I just would not have done without them & their experience & expertise. My bike is a totally different ride now than 3 months ago. Not that much $$$ & tons O fun. Yea, the Honda will deliver all kinds of MPG. I gave some MPG Up, but, dang, I don't worry about pulling out in front of someone & NOT having the stuff to get outta the way.

Funny about the post above. I am tinkering with the idea of a Ninja 250. They scoot on & handle really well I hear. Not gonna have the acceleration but will fly around a corner. I kinda think a Zooki & Ninja might be a good pair of bikes to own, depending on how a fellow felt on any given day, one of those oughts do the trick. Wouldn't ya think?

IP Logged
ickb
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/06/07 at 00:01:03

Quote:
Whether the Honda will outlast the Zooki or not, I dunno. I can say this, tho, I am having an absolutely oBSCENE amount of fun with the Zooki.

Regarding Reliability, I was thinking more on a day to day basis of the S40 not breaking down and being trouble free Cheesy  Regarding longevity of the S40, I was hoping at least 50,000mi with the exception of change of tires and other parts that will wear out with normal use.

Quote:
I gave some MPG Up, but, dang, I don't worry about pulling out in front of someone & NOT having the stuff to get outta the way.
Regarding mileage I expect that it would get at least if not better than my Silverwing 600 in mileage. If I go 55mph-60mph on the Wing, I can get 60+mpg, but is I go 75+mph: I can get high 40mpg to low 50mpg. The Silverwing 600 revs at 5500rpms at 70mph so I figure that the S40 should be pulling about the same revs. When I ride with my friends with their CBR600 and FJ600 they are pulling over 6000rpms at 70mph, but have a much higher redline.(Our speedo reads 70mph and we are all going the same speed)

Quote:
I kinda think a Zooki & Ninja might be a good pair of bikes to own, depending on how a fellow felt on any given day, one of those oughts do the trick.

I think both the Zooki & Ninja would be great. I may have gone this route if I didn't have the Silverwing. The Ninja 250 has the centerstand so oiling the chain is very simple and the S40 even easier with belt drive like my Silverwing. At an indicated 110mph on the Ninja 250, it sounds like a sewing machine, but nowhere near the low end to midrange torque of the S40. I do the kerosene "clean" and lube the Rebel chain every 600mi. A little messy with no centerstand, but can get the job done in about 10-15 minutes.

The S40 sounds like an excellent bike to have, but when reading the posts.. I have to pretty much be ready to do the carb job at the get go and the oil plug after 600mi service.  Undecided

Does that pretty much cover it for the S40 at least at the beginning ???

I want to get it reliable to begin with before making any major modification like what I have seen some of you do here on the boards. Some of you are full out [glow=red,2,300]Savage mechanics [/glow] that Suzuki should just employ as advisors to get rid of the quirks that shouldn't there to begin with Grin

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #27 - 01/06/07 at 02:39:31

As far as the infamous LS650 head plug leak goes, it is unlikely that you'll experience that problem with an S40 as Suzuki replaced the original subject-to-leaks plug with a better designed one, on the LS650 after the 2001 model year

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 01/06/07 at 10:05:51

Seeing an indicated 90 on the Savage is a rare thing I think. Doesn't matter to me. If I want a fast bike I will get a different bike. I like this thing. It offers a good ride, lots of fun. I don't need a faster bike, I would get hurt. This one is fast enough to lure me so close to the edge I have to be careful. If I wanted a crotch rocket I would be forced to get a Ninja 250, cuz it won't wheelie out from under me & doesn't have the power to just toss me off in a corner if I am in the wrong gear. In fact, I am considering just such a bike. But, for now, this Zooki, with the grunt it has & the acceleration it offers it just makes me grin. On top of that, it does it & still returns fair MPG, all with a really inexpensive bike. If I didn't own one, knowing what I now, I do believe, I would want one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reliability of Suzuki S40 vs. Honda Rebel 250?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.