Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
big oops in the middle of cam chain job (Read 9 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

big oops in the middle of cam chain job
01/02/07 at 11:44:09

I think i lost TDC and now don't know how to make sure the camshaft is in the proper position.
I know there is a pin and it can only hook onto the camshaft gear in one position but i rotated the gear and the shaft before getting them back together in the process any words of wisdom ?
franch.

by the way the camshaft tensioner was a little worn but and maybe more significantly the tensioner had developed some horizontal cracks in it.
the new chain was approximately 5/8's inch shorter when i held the 2 up next to eachother.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: big oops in the middle of cam chain job
Reply #1 - 01/02/07 at 12:05:31

According to the Zooki shop manual, page 3-54, third picture down, align marks with the head. There are 2 lines that will be in line with the uppermost part of the head. So, if the engine was out & the head held level, the marks would make a level line. Engage the chain with the PIN Hole at the 1 O'clock position. This will show you the marks in their correct orientation for the lobes & avoid the 180 degree out issue.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/02/07 at 12:40:44

so i'll go look

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/02/07 at 12:52:41

so the marks are on the right side of the camshaft gear ? and when both marks line up with the horizontal of the head top it's as it should be ? i only have the clymers so i appreciate this. i just looked and the pin is at 1 oclock and there is a faint line on the right side of the gear thats parallel to the top surface of the head. this line is about a half inch higher than the head but is close to parallel.
it's supposed to be 50+ degrees in mass. tommorow so i'm under the gun if i want to ride.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 01/02/07 at 14:24:28

better off not riding and getting the job done right...

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/02/07 at 16:45:54

I agree. just like measuring twice so you only cut once.

Anyway Igot it figured out, the 2 marks on the end of the cam shaft were'nt visible cause the plug was on the end.

starting the reassembly now. that head cover sure is a tight fit to the frame. I intend to get a helper to guide the left front chrome head cover bolt.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #6 - 01/02/07 at 18:07:42

before you start it!!!!! unscrew the inspection cover and make sure the altenator rotor and the groove in the cover are aligned! the cam should be in the horizontal  position . at the same time. if your off just a tooth or 2 she will run badly if at all and could mess up your valves big time Shocked. I had this happen Sad make sure your top dead center, both sets of valves should be equal, not one set up and one down. if not take the bolts off the cam sprocket  then loosen the tensioner.Turn just the cam, not the sprocket( you will lose the bottom alignment!) tap a 2 X 4 in between the frame and the cam once you get it in the the lined up position at the same time the altenator marks line up.
.tighten chain tensioner,remove 2 X 4  and then put plate and bolts back.dont forget to put the inspection cap back in( dont ask how i know Embarrassed, but it will throw oil everywhere)
sounds like its not top dead center, the head cover should fit right on if it is! good luck!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:16:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › big oops in the middle of cam chain job

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.