Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Certainly not all good news but worth reading, (Read 37 times)
Tumi
Ex Member

Re: Certainly not all good news but worth reading,
Reply #15 - 01/03/07 at 15:49:52

Hello,

this is my last comment on the matter. I just had an e-mail conversation with an old Heise regular and he made some very good points about all this.
If the article is mostly seen as irritating waste of time, then it's basically useless and I'll have no problems taking it offline. The reason I won't do it right now is in a few weeks I would likely begin to receive the same questions I used to get, like where people can buy original parts in Montana or how to solve the rubber plug leak. What I'll probably do is, after getting one SW project done, I'll mutilate the article from most of the remarks and leave something compact, maybe mention that there are a few forums where people can discuss Savage specific questions instead of mailing me. As I also heard my article was said to be technically much too shallow, I may add some 1-2-3 information about for example industrial belt mod or a headlight rewire with relays, although I've no idea if they already are common mods these days so maybe I'll add nothing.

But I won't begin to use a spall chequer.

Best regards,

Tumi Laamanen
Finland

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 01/03/07 at 16:45:40

My frik'in browser won't open the pdf!  Probably cause I'm still using win98se.  
Can anyone post a plain text version?
If not, I get from the posts that I should keep my idle up, anything else I should know?
Also, doe's anyone have anything on an airbox mod to increase the carb side volume?  I have noticed this area looks restrictive.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/03/07 at 17:30:08

I did one. If ya have it in your hands, look at the part that goes between the frame rails just in front of the rear tire. I covered that belly with a piece of hard plastic, BUT, not before I drilled a hole from the carb side, below the rail the filter rides on. I also capped the area at each end of where the filter sits AND, the little slit above each of those end areas. Takes some pretty good fitting of stuff. I had to use some thin aluminum, wasn't thin enough till I pounded on it a while. UIsed a good bit of epoxy. Gotta watch where that stuff goes or the filter won't wanna go back in. How will this affect the outside "fresh Air" side of the filter's flow? I dunno, but I figure it gave the volume between the carb ^ filter about 120 cc at least.  I will open the area where the air horn was to compensate for the volume that side of the airbox lost. Coke can aluminum may be thin enough, but dont use it to cover the main area. It will flex & break for sure. I am worried that the hard plastic I used won't survive. It will last long enough to see if the whole thing  was worth doing.

Okay, I filled a measuring cup & it took just shy of 2 cups. A coule of tablespoons shy of 2 cups is good I think.  I just checked Google & that 2 cups translates to .9 liters! oughta make a big difference.

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #18 - 01/03/07 at 18:05:02

I'll probably regret throwing my 2 cents in, but I spent a good deal of time sitting in institutions of higher learning and conducting research. It seems dubious to me that anyone could consider themselves an authority on anything based on their experience of owning one of them.
I've owned one Mikuni carb and I have handily trashed it. I'm no authority on Mikuni carbs, only the one that I trashed. And that was my doing.
I think the guy at the shop that works on a lot of Savages would be a much better authority; Or the collective wisdom of a bunch of people that have been brainstorming through issues relating to it for a long period of time.
I have a very good friend from Finland; but I don't judge all Fins based on my familiarity of one.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #19 - 01/03/07 at 18:05:55

Why Greg, Is that you with 2 bite marks chewed out of your A$$ ??   hehehehe    Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 01/03/07 at 18:36:18

Well, isn't this a rousing bit of fun?  (no spl ckr)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/03/07 at 18:48:00

Well, I gotta say, I couldn't be more surprised. I appologize for even posting that. If I could take it down I would. I kinda thought folks would look at it & use it where they thought it would help but to see the animosity is disheartening. I figure the guy has a heck of a lot more experience than I do. He also took the time to write all of it. It wasn't done out of hate. If he hated the bike he wouldn't have wasted his time writing this. If I hated one I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of working in a foreign language to post an article that would possibly assist strangers to make mods on their bike to get the most out of them. He never said that in order to have a Savage be worth having all that needed done. He even stated he would still have it but it started rotting away. I wonder how many of you who have been so negative actuially read the whole thing.
I got 2 things out of it I have already used. I am gonna wait & see what response I get for that.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 01/03/07 at 19:01:21

I have read most, if not all, of the Savage info that Tumi posted on his site when it first went up for the world to see.  There is a lot of good info that he put into it to be sure,  however  I do find the reading of it to be a bit like the "trying to run in water" kind of thing.  Regardless, he put in a LOT of time and effort to produce it and for that I am grateful.

A consolidation of the pertinent data would be a good thing but would certainly take a lot more time to do so.

If you have never read the entire piece, I encourage you to do so ... especially if you are new to the Savage world.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 01/03/07 at 20:29:29

What was his name? any relation to Tolstoy?
What read this?  I'll wait for the movie.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 01/03/07 at 21:57:33

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Why Greg, Is that you with 2 bite marks chewed out of your A$$ ??   hehehehe    Grin

Yeah, it's me, but someone has a bad taste in their mouth anyway.

Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 01/03/07 at 22:23:34

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Well, I gotta say, I couldn't be more surprised. I appologize for even posting that. If I could take it down I would. I kinda thought folks would look at it & use it where they thought it would help but to see the animosity is disheartening. I figure the guy has a heck of a lot more experience than I do. He also took the time to write all of it. It wasn't done out of hate. If he hated the bike he wouldn't have wasted his time writing this. If I hated one I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of working in a foreign language to post an article that would possibly assist strangers to make mods on their bike to get the most out of them. He never said that in order to have a Savage be worth having all that needed done. He even stated he would still have it but it started rotting away. I wonder how many of you who have been so negative actuially read the whole thing.
I got 2 things out of it I have already used. I am gonna wait & see what response I get for that.

Aw come on....it's not your fault.

If anyone should apologize then it is me.  I was just having some of my usual dry, satirical, "Devil's Advocate" fun (I'm known for it).  

It's sometimes my way of spicing up the conversation when it looks kinda dull...after all, look at the title of this topic.  Is that not kinda like begging for it?

Anyway, I got this whole thread going here, mixed with a whole bunch of conversation, and it only took 4 sentences...

However: To Tumi, from Finland, I apologize.  As I mentioned, I did sense a certain passion in your writing.  You are passionate about bikes.  I understand that.  You are a biker.  Please feel free to hang around and see how we work on our Savages.  We have a lot more than 89 pages written here.

(is that the response you expected?)

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 01/03/07 at 22:40:21

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Is it safe to come out now?

Smiley

Ha!  Good comeback, Potsie!   8)

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 01/03/07 at 22:47:28

TVR_FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I have a very good friend from Finland; but I don't judge all Fins based on my familiarity of one.

I was once attcked by a loan shark; so, I look at all fins suspiciously. Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 01/04/07 at 05:42:30

Bugscraper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I was once attcked by a loan shark; so, I look at all fins suspiciously. Grin

Sure it wasn't a lone shark?

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 01/04/07 at 21:33:14

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Sure it wasn't a lone shark?

It was a lone loan shark (didn't see any friends -- his OR mine).
Not really, just made it up. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:36:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Certainly not all good news but worth reading,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.