Send Topic Print
HECK YEAH!!! (Read 9 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
HECK YEAH!!!
01/01/07 at 17:33:06

The roads were finally clear enough to do a test run on my bike today. I dang near WHEELLIED it from a roll (meaning I rolled the throttle hard while rolling in second gear and dang near lifted the front wheel). The 152.5 main and 55 pilot in conjunction with the Jardine slip on and K&N drop in filter really did the trick.

The new brake pads and shoes stop me on a time.

I thought I was going to have to adjust the idle mix screw but as I rode all I got was a few crackling noices on decel and the throttle response is everything I hoped for so I think she's just where I need her.

I did hear a little rattling on the top end of the motor so a valve adjustment is definately in the future as well as an oil change.

What weight of oil is best? I usually use Quaker State in my cages but is there a specific oil recomended for the Savage?

Thanks everyone for the info provided on this site. I don't own a Clymers or a Suzuki shop manual but the info here is just as good if not better because of ya'lls willingness to share the little tricks to make the job easier. If it wasn't for ya'll I would have had no idea what to do to make my Savage the best it could be. That don't mean I won't be getting a manaul shortly, but this site sure helps out a lot.

Thanks a lot, and HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: HECK YEAH!!!
Reply #1 - 01/01/07 at 23:37:39

Stop running Dinosaur oil in your machine.
Use a full synthetic, only 2 are true PAO based lubricants. These are Amsoil and Mobil1. It will save you a lot of future service teardowns.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 01/02/07 at 14:23:38

Okay, but how about weight? What weight should I use? From what I understand from searching the site 20w50 may be the best to use. But was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Just realized my Savage has over 12000 miles on her. Can't afford an engine rebuild just yet so I was looking for a proper oil weight to keep her going untill I can afford the rebuild. Not that she ain't still running like a scalded a$$ ape.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 01/02/07 at 15:59:49

If you're going with Amsoil run 10-40, if you pick Mobil 1 (not my pick) go with 20-50.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 01/02/07 at 16:01:09

Oh, by the way, make sure you get the Motorcycle oils which are the ones without the friction modifiers...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/03/07 at 00:41:01

Some say just good Ol car oil will do fine. I haven't done it yet. If I could remember who said it I just migh do it.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 01/03/07 at 01:27:35

Supermoto oil, Putoline off road 4+ 100% synthetic.10w/40.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/03/07 at 07:55:58

If you go the synthetic route & use the 10/40 be sure to keep a close eye on the level. Some of these biukes drink that stuff to a dangerously low level in a short time, as in hours. Especially on hot days. My bike will holding steady on oil, Dino 10/40 till about 1,500 miles, then start using it. I changed to 20/40 & it seems to be holding better & the little weep it had at the clutch actuator/case junction has decreased significantly.Glad you are tickled with the take off zip of your bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HECK YEAH!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.