Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
carb spring and crankcase breather ?'s (Read 19 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
carb spring and crankcase breather ?'s
12/31/06 at 18:52:09

i was doing the spacer mod the other day and when i pulled the top of the carb there was the larger, long spring; however there was a white washer and then another smaller length spring. Is there supposed to be 2 springs in the vaccuum slide or only one? I would assume this would change how the slide functions if this was a mod by the previous owner.

second question: for those of you that went to the K&N cone filter what did you do for the crankase breather tube?
along those lines how much oil should come out of the breather tube witha stock filter? I am losing maybe a few tablespoons on a sixty mile ride, but my filter is very clogged.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: carb spring and crankcase breather ?'s
Reply #1 - 12/31/06 at 19:13:22

Filter is clogged? Air filter clogged with dirt? Losing tablespoons full of oil adds up with a 2 quart sump.
I don't remember there being a second spring under the diaphragm when I did thge spacer.
exploded view on page 4-1 shows 2 springs. 1 big long dude & then a small one that allows some play in the needle. The white spacer is on top of the needle, the spring is below. I don't remember having it out.When ya pull the plate with the 2 screws on top of the white spacer, note the dimple. That point goes down. It's small,Yea, that's the kind of stuff I remember.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/01/07 at 06:18:45

The little spring keeps an upward tension on the needle to hold it in place.  When the spacer mod is done ... (making the white spacer smaller) ... that little spring can then raise the needle slightly and allow more fuel to flow, which richens the fuel/air mixture in the midrange.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - 01/01/07 at 09:00:02

Go to ( Show Us Your Ride ) and look at the first bike...   Notice the blue crankcase filter.....

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #4 - 01/01/07 at 15:08:51

Thanks,
the spring i was reffering to was also under the diaphragm and just as big as the large one but shorter, there is a white spacer in between those to springs. i have redone all the stuff that is under the plate, i.e, needle, spring, and little white spacer.

so i guess there is three springs under the diaphragm cap- 2 large (one long and one short), and 1 small needle spring.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #5 - 01/01/07 at 15:21:45

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Go to ( Show Us Your Ride ) and look at the first bike...   Notice the blue crankcase filter.....

you wouldn't have a part number for that would you.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 01/01/07 at 15:27:08

spring business seems strange - only a little one on the needle and a single big spring that pushes down the diaphram on US spec bikes - now there has been a few added items on EUR spec bikes noted here in the past - where are you? that may be a power limiter - could make a picture?

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #7 - 01/01/07 at 15:47:32

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 01/01/07 at 16:03:51

what year is that picture for?

this is the guts for a US model through 2004 - I've not taken a S40's carb apart

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #9 - 01/01/07 at 16:07:18

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
what year is that picture for?

this is the guts for a US model through 2004 - I've not taken a S40's carb apart

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Mikuni_101web.jpg

1996, i modded that picture from a similar one. the spring and washer pics I added.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #10 - 01/01/07 at 16:09:04

i think i am going to remove them and see what happens.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 01/01/07 at 16:12:11

I'm getting the above picture (single spring) on alpha-sports.com for a 96 ls650 - how did you get to the dual spring picture and is that what you have in your carb?

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #12 - 01/01/07 at 16:13:30

1996, i modded that picture from a similar one. the spring and washer parts I added with paint to show what i have.

i have something like my picture in my carb.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/01/07 at 16:20:30

got it - if my memory holds up - some of the EUR models had that spring and spacer to prevent wide open throttle to hold the horsepower down for the initial motorcycle licn - as it is limited to 20 h.p. or some such

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #14 - 01/01/07 at 16:24:44

ah thanks i'll take it out.
by the way where'd you get the iridium plug?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:32:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb spring and crankcase breather ?'s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.