Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Savage owner! (Read 3 times)
steveh
Ex Member

New Savage owner!
12/30/06 at 17:43:29

Got home at 1:30 this morning with my 2 non-running Savages. Now I can't wait to begin my own Savage project! One is a partially complete 86. The other is an almost complete 97 with a Supertrapp slip-on.  
Here is what I know about the 97: has 5000 miles and has been stored a long time.  Supposedly had burned valves (too lean with the Supertrapp??). The previous owner put the head from the 86 on the 97. That's all I know.
First let me say that I will welcome all suggestions and help.  Hre is my plan at present:
1. get the 97 running
2. assess the work the 97 needs and what parts I will need (ands what parts I will keep from the 86)
3. begin tearing down, fixing, painting, etc as needed
My goal is to make a nice looking, reliable Savage with my priorities in this order:
1. reliability
2. fuel economy
3. any extra power is just a bonus
When I get a little farther along, I will have some parts from the 86 (and maybe some from the 97) that I can sell or trade for parts that I need. I will keep you all posted, and I'm sure I will be asking for help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: New Savage owner!
Reply #1 - 12/30/06 at 18:01:28

Sounds like a great project with reasonable goals. I trust you have a decent work area. I wouldn't want to tackle a task like that in the driveway. Good Luck

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/30/06 at 21:53:45

best of wishes for the project, steveh. see you are a relative newcomer to site so welcome you to an excellent source for help/ideas & just plain humor.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 12/30/06 at 22:50:13

Well Steveh,
You have come to the right place.

Question: Why did you fixate on the Savage for your project? There must have been some thought behind this. Why not the HD Sportster?

I don't believe the 97 with SuperTrapp has burned valves because of the SuperTrapp. The 5000 miles doesn't seem to me to be enough exposure. Now, if it was run with 14 discs without rejetting, maybe so.
Count the discs in the Trapp.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #4 - 12/30/06 at 23:03:01

Welcome Steve. You found a great wealth of info and opinions here. Although currently I'm no help to you right now. I'm just getting my tools wet. Hope to spend the rest of the winter and early spring doing mods to the bike.
Now that I have a To-Do List, that just made the season alot shorter. Free weekends don't come around every weekend.
Have a good time, call us if you need us and post pics.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #5 - 12/31/06 at 04:38:24

Welcome and  enjoy!  This is the site of sites!  everyone here is great and lots of treads to help too! good luck and happy wrenching!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/06 at 12:54:02

Thanks for all your replies! I already like this group!
To answer a couple of questions, I chose the Savage because I like the way it looks, because it seems to be a basic, straightforward design, because it is a single (I like things simple), nd because it isn't too expensive.
The supertrapp has 8 discs in it now. I don't know if the carb has been rejetted or not.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 12/31/06 at 14:12:21

AH- sweet Winter.  Sounds like you've got a sensible plan.  I think I would part out the 86 to fund the fun.
As will often be said, the more photo's the more fun we over the sholder mechanics will have.  Please keep us informed on the project. And welcome.

IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/02/07 at 16:28:13

My first try at posting a photo to this site! Here is the Savage (now named the Terminator project) at stage zero. I will keep you updated about my progress.

Edit: I corrected to allow the image to display.
For steveh, if you want to see how the coding is done you can click modify and take a look.

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/02/07 at 17:05:25

Welcome steveh. This is definately the right place to get information on your bikes. These guys (and gals) are wizards for sure!

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/04/07 at 14:49:32

The Terminator speaks!!!
...and the mystery deepens.
'Hooked up an old battery with jumper cables, poured some fuel in the fuel line (tank is off), and shot some starting fluid in the spark plug hole. Replaced plug, hit the starter, and it fired right up and idled as long as I kept adding gas to the fuel line.  This is good news!
Next I will try putting the tank back on to see if it will do more than idle.
I am puzzled by the fact that the bike started right up, however. Maybe the PO completely fixed the bike with the head swap?? I took the valves out of the original (97) head, but I can see no damage. The head and valves look fine to me. So what happened to the bike to make it sit unrepaired for years? Maybe something will become apparent when I ride it. Maybe I'll never know!?? Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/04/07 at 21:56:41

Hopefully you wont suddenly come to a complete understandin in the middle of nowhere!  Grin

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/05/07 at 08:52:39

steveh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The Terminator speaks!!!
...and the mystery deepens.
'Hooked up an old battery with jumper cables, poured some fuel in the fuel line (tank is off), and shot some starting fluid in the spark plug hole. Replaced plug, hit the starter, and it fired right up and idled as long as I kept adding gas to the fuel line.  This is good news!
Next I will try putting the tank back on to see if it will do more than idle.
I am puzzled by the fact that the bike started right up, however. Maybe the PO completely fixed the bike with the head swap?? I took the valves out of the original (97) head, but I can see no damage. The head and valves look fine to me. So what happened to the bike to make it sit unrepaired for years? Maybe something will become apparent when I ride it. Maybe I'll never know!?? Undecided

How reliable was the previous owner? It could be he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Good Luck, take it for a ride & keep your cell phone handy just in case.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:34:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.