Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Poor Man's Bike Stand
Reply #15 - 12/20/07 at 07:01:54

the mysterious johnh wrote on 12/20/07 at 01:40:46:
My buddy was over the other day while I was working on the site and he noticed the poor man's bike stand.  He was all over it.  He says "We got to build one." and then there was a long pause "out of metal, with adjustable clamps and a bigger deck....."  I just thought to myself have we learned nothing from "Tim the Tool Man'

I love the dog, we have boston's as well, as a matter of fact we just had puppies... The puppies look like little cows. Tongue

click --> Rubber Side Down! › I need your T-shirt Sizes... <-- click

Ya know the whole thing sort of morphed.  When I first built it, I thought I might have invented something.  So, I did a search and found these...(I hadn't been to a bike show in a few years either)...

This is what you can get for $225 plus S&H, and so the "Poor Man's" version was born...

They also state that these are good as work stands, but they don't show it in any lifted positions.  Since I wanted that ability, out came the straps Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #16 - 04/19/08 at 15:05:50

New mousetrap, not necessarily better.
2X8 X4ft, 4 Heavy duty L-brackets, Threaded rod, nuts and bolts.
build time 15 minutes. Cost approx $15 with new materials. Rubber on top( to protect painted frame) was from old car mat. You could use carpet too.
Leave front L brackets off, slide under bike, with right or left foot stand on threaded rod and rotate while holding on to bike, leave sidestand out for later on when taking the bike off the stand. Hold foot on rod while putting on front L bracket, walk to other side and also put on that front L bracket.
Any weight on front will lift rear and visa versa
Still have to put tiedown hooks on either end of 2X8.
Tiedown will fit on frame between tank and seat. And yes it's actually quite stable.

« Last Edit: 05/28/08 at 15:21:01 by vtail »  

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toro
YaBB Newbies

Hell yeah

Whidbey Island
Reply #17 - 05/19/08 at 05:48:21

I was inspired by what I say here to create one of these with the scrap wood that I had laying around my garage. It was made with scrap 2x4, 2x8, 3", & 1.75" wood screws. Used a circular saw to put angles on some of the pieces.

http://web.mac.com/robert.a.webb/Site/My_Albums/Pages/moto.html#1

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #18 - 06/11/08 at 03:23:46

And another one... scrap 6"x1" and 10 screws

I removed that curved section to allow it to fit on the rear wheel.

The holding straps sit in the cutouts on the front edge.

Holds the bike pretty solid.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 11:07:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor Man's Bike Stand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.