Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Does the Savage Vibrate too much? (Read 49 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Does the Savage Vibrate too much?
Reply #30 - 12/30/06 at 08:13:31

Those V4's are real eye candy Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #31 - 12/30/06 at 11:05:40

Fellow at work rides a Magna that is a smooth idle'n machine - mikuni carbs I think - nice older bike

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #32 - 01/02/07 at 15:06:51

I grew up on the old British singles --Matchless 500, Ariel Red Hunter 500, Goldstar 500 , Norton ES2 500 etc.  Brlieve me, this Sweet Suzi is smooth!

Jack H.

P.S.  Those old thumpers would actually shake the filaments out of the headlight bulbs at idle.

JH

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 01/02/07 at 17:50:10

Quote:

P.S.  Those old thumpers would actually shake the filaments out of the headlight bulbs at idle.

JH

Amen

...counter balancer?  what counterbalancer?

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 01/02/07 at 17:56:35

yes, the thumper does vibrate some. I would actually call it a throb, and quite frankly I really like that. If you want to see a bike that throbs and vibrates just start upan older honda cr500r, if you can. no that is vibration.     john Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #35 - 01/03/07 at 06:43:32

The Savage does vibrate, but so do other MC's. Some have vibes at different frequencies, etc. I think the variation between individual MC's is probably greater than the differences between most models. I currently ride a model that is known for its "buzz," but mine is as smooth as silk with almost no buzz except for a couple of high rpms settings. All I have to do is not ride steady at those rpms - not too hard. I do think with all that is said however most individual MC's of the model do have a lot of vibration, I just got lucky.

Bottom line, if the vibes of your particular Savage doesn't bother you, don't worry about what others say. If you find parts of your body going numb, it might be time to look around, or try to eliminate some of the vibes from your ride. There is a reason they are called thumpers.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #36 - 01/05/07 at 09:14:29

I don't  notice any vibration, maybe it's all in perception, my S-I-L's Ironhorse will almost vibrate off the kickstand if it's left running & he has to tighten bolts & screws constantly.
I replaced my original seat with a Oneida Suzuki Gel seat & have Throttle Rockers on the grips. They help rest my lazy hands.
My biggest gripe is forgeting to turn the key on & not being able to reach to turn it on. That will humble even the coolest rider Wink

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 01/05/07 at 12:34:52

I have no problem with my stock seat, I was a cyclist for many years ,now that's one hard seat,but your butt gets used to it.
I've also heard that filling the handlebars with sand cuts down on the vibes,any one done that? I have no complaint's about vibration compared to other bikes I have ridden, the Savage is a dream.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #38 - 01/05/07 at 12:48:32

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've also heard that filling the handlebars with sand cuts down on the vibes,any one done that?

So far as the stock Savage bars are concerned, they have weights inside them that would make it difficult to fill them with sand.  I've heard of folks using lead shot to dampen vibration and I actually filled my drag bars with BBs and sealed them inside with epoxy in the ends of the bars.  Since I did not ride it with the drag bars installed without the BBs, I can't say if it helped for sure.  I also use Kuryakyn ISO grips and I believe they help a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 01/05/07 at 13:54:06

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
So far as the stock Savage bars are concerned, they have weights inside them that would make it difficult to fill them with sand.  I've heard of folks using lead shot to dampen vibration and I actually filled my drag bars with BBs and sealed them inside with epoxy in the ends of the bars.  Since I did not ride it with the drag bars installed without the BBs, I can't say if it helped for sure.  I also use Kuryakyn ISO grips and I believe they help a lot.

It's probably splitting hairs, but is it that the bars have weights or is that a solid rod that's inside for added strength?  'Course, it might serve both purposes.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #40 - 01/05/07 at 13:58:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
It's probably splitting hairs, but is it that the bars have weights or is that a solid rod that's inside for added strength?  'Course, it might serve both purposes.

I'm pretty sure they're weights for vibration.  If you tap the bars. you can tell where they are and approximately how long they are.  It doesn't seem to me that they would lend much in the way of structural integrity but I'm not a design engineer either.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 01/05/07 at 14:32:52

I only saw the ends of the rod when I was changing grips, but I assumed that it was a solid bar was put inside the tubing before the handlebar is formed or bent.

Other than that, I don't know.  I really didn't study it since I was changing grips.  You think it's just 2 short pieces on the ends?  Welded in there?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #42 - 01/06/07 at 10:25:05

They're definitely two pieces near the ends.  I don't recall looking to see how they were fixed in place though.

Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #43 - 01/06/07 at 11:08:58

I for one like what vibration the Savage does have.  To me it was a shock that it didn't vibrate more.  

My C50 vibrates less (no shock), but my dad's VLX vibrates about as much as the LS650.  

The vibration is nice.  It lets you know that you're on a motorcycle.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 01/06/07 at 14:12:21

Like I said, my bike likes to vibrate a lot, but when I shift up earlier than usual and give it some gas, it'll give me a much louder thumping, like the engine's working really hard. Is this a normal thing, or am I just an idiot who likes to shift to higher gears too soon?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:31:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the Savage Vibrate too much?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.