Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Does the Savage Vibrate too much? (Read 49 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Re: Does the Savage Vibrate too much?
Reply #15 - 12/27/06 at 19:50:40

I've seen Harley polyurethane bushing replacement kits that are supposed to dampen the vibrations, but I haven't seen any after market bushings for the savage. Do you think the Harley kit would fit an LS650?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/27/06 at 21:45:38

I dunno, but if they don't fit, maybe they will be too big. Lots of ways to make stuff smaller.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #17 - 12/27/06 at 22:23:14

I think the commentary so far is clear. YOU DON'T NEED BUSHINGS. This bike is as smooth as it's going to get!

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 12/28/06 at 04:56:58

The Savage is VERY SMOOTH for a 650 single.  Suzuki did a great job in that respect.
However, when medical issues come into play like having to deal with things like carpal tunnel, then looking for ways to reduce the vibrations that are still there becomes an important issue.
I would look into the poly bushings made for HD's.  That is a product made specifically for that problem.   If mounting means a bigger hole ... drill ... or smaller hole ... add bushings.  
Make it work.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 12/28/06 at 05:56:30

I wish the Savage had a 6th speed (or a taller 5th) to lower the buzz on the interstate...though, the interstate is never my favorite choice...

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #20 - 12/28/06 at 07:24:00

I agree with Greg_650. The seat is where the problem lies....or sits. I have done everything I can think of and it is still terrible.  Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/28/06 at 07:57:42

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to order a set and I'll report back with the results.

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
The Savage is VERY SMOOTH for a 650 single.  Suzuki did a great job in that respect.
However, when medical issues come into play like having to deal with things like carpal tunnel, then looking for ways to reduce the vibrations that are still there becomes an important issue.
I would look into the poly bushings made for HD's.  That is a product made specifically for that problem.   If mounting means a bigger hole ... drill ... or smaller hole ... add bushings.  
Make it work.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #22 - 12/28/06 at 08:00:37

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I agree with Greg_650. The seat is where the problem lies....or sits. I have done everything I can think of and it is still terrible.  Grin

I've never had a problem with the stock seat that comes with the S40. Has anyone had a chance to ride both a Savage and an S40 to see if there's a noticeable difference in the two for extended periods?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 12/28/06 at 08:30:15

If vibration in the grips is your biggest issue...and my spouse had double carpal tunnel surgeries done...there are a couple other options too.

- You can install a set of Kuryakyn grips (I think they're discussed somewhere here).  They are really better than the stock hard grips.  Soft, cushy and heavier so they kinda act like bar end weights

- and you can install a Vista Cruise which allows you to take your hand off the throttle for a break now and then (ignore the helmet lock)

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #24 - 12/28/06 at 09:14:31

In answer to the question about the difference between the older seat and the s40 seat I cannot say myself, but I sold my stock s40 seat to brewbrother, and he said it was much more comfotable than the old style. The only problem is that it is a one piece seat, so you can"t run without the pillion. That is what I wanted was to run just run the solo and bought it as soon as I got my bike. I don't have a problem with the old front seat and haven't even done a seat mod, it's fine for me but I have road hardtails for years, so I guess my butt is use to it. Brewbrother says the s40 seat is much better than the old ones. Wider and softer from what he told me.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #25 - 12/28/06 at 09:27:30

I have fit the Sportster seat . Together with the forward controls I'm sitting on my a$$ still confortable for an hour or so. I have to stop anyway for a smoke .

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 12/28/06 at 10:16:44

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I have fit the Sportster seat . Together with the forward controls I'm sitting on my a$$ still confortable for an hour or so. I have to stop anyway for a smoke .

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Not having machine shop access anymore, my springer mod is on hold for a while.  Assuming that your Sportster seat isn't just sitting on the bike, did you have to do any major changes to bolt it on?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #27 - 12/29/06 at 04:30:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Not having machine shop access anymore, my springer mod is on hold for a while.  Assuming that your Sportster seat isn't just sitting on the bike, did you have to do any major changes to bolt it on?

Apart from the bracket that supports the middle of the seat and picks up the 2 OEM bolts, there 's one hole to be drilled in the fender to bolt-up the rear attachment.

The bracket I made out-off an alluminum angled piece 30x30x3 mm. Tools: hacksaw, file, drill and a vice.

Check-out azjays installation, mine is similar.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1161011205

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 12/29/06 at 05:19:35

Not bad at all...but of course, I have to follow a solo seat route.

The front seat mount that I fabbed for the now broken after-market seat is very similar to yours.

Hmmm.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #29 - 12/29/06 at 21:15:01

I had a Honda Magna... v-4...I know it's not "fair", but no comparison, the only way I could tell the engine was running was when I had to grip the handle bar tighter 'cause I was sliding off the back Grin

Seriously, the Savage vibrates more than any bike I've owned, but it doesn't bother me a bit Smiley  The thumper is growing on me!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:34:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the Savage Vibrate too much?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.