Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Does the Savage Vibrate too much? (Read 49 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Does the Savage Vibrate too much?
12/25/06 at 21:02:22

I was in a Kawasaki dealer the other day looking for some stuff, and a guy asked me what I was riding. After I told him I rode this big thumper, he said "It must vibrate you to death". I said "no" and was surprised at his question.
Now, my bike vibrates very little, in fact it is amazingly smooth for such a big single.
I've seen HD's sit at a signal an vibrate visably.

The question is: Does this bike vibrate worse than other bikes. ???

Now, I'm an old guy, and there was a big gap betreen bikes because of kids. The last heavy bike I owned was a 1971 Honda CB450 twin. This bike was pretty smooth. The Savage was no worse than this Honda 450.

I have wondered how this LS650 compares to these big V-Twins that are so common today. ???

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
ThumpinSquid
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Near Granite Falls & Robe, WA
Re: Does the Savage Vibrate too much?
Reply #1 - 12/25/06 at 21:50:43

All I've ridden is singles, on dirt mind you, and I can say this bike vibrates very little for a single. Also, while I didn't "ride" it, my pops had a 1200 Evo harley softail, and it vibrated more than this little monster does. It was eight years ago, and I can still remember that it took less than two minutes for my butt to go numb on that thing.

Though, that's just my experience.

Out of my way, I have to pee!
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 12/25/06 at 22:34:45

No. I contend that the Savage does not "vibrate too much" and that people who assume such do so out of ignorance. As big single cylinder engines go, the Savage is very smooth. But smooth is a relative thing that must be judged apples to apples so to speak. No fair judging a super smooth 6-cylinder to any engine with one or two pistons.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 12/26/06 at 07:15:52

Runs quite smooth in my view for a single cyl engine - item 1 in the pic below does a good job.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/26/06 at 09:56:23

The guy I ride with has a 650 v-star twin and while my savage vibrates a little more than his, he is more annoyed with his vibration which is a higher frequency.  Also, his vibes increase with rpm and my savage seems to smooth out as the speed increases.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/26/06 at 11:43:36

I own a DR650SE and a S-40. In my life of riding,(more than 42 years of riding), I have owned 43 motorcycles of one, two, and four cylinders. These Suzuki Thumpers vibrate less than any one or two cylinder machines I have had, that includes three BMW airheads and two Motoguzzi V-Twins. My 6 Harleys aren't even in this for any consideration of smoothness. Thumpers I have had include one Matchless 500, two Yamaha SR500s Two XL Hondas. None of the above has been as smooth as the Zukis. I am most certainly happy with them on that account.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #6 - 12/26/06 at 12:02:00

I have rode and owned dozens of Triumphs and I will tell you that nothing compares to the vibration you get from them. The higher the speed the higher the vibes. Most of the Harleys I have owned virate less as the revs go up. In conclusion. smoothest bike I have ever owned in 40 years.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 12/26/06 at 15:36:40

Its a very smooth bike in my opinion. I had a 69 sportster that would shake your kidneys lose. The CB I had before the savage had some vibration. It wasn;t near as bad as the HD but when you opened it up the mirrors were useless.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 12/26/06 at 17:06:20

Grin  My 06 S40 is a lot smoother than I expected it to be.  I too have had Hondas and Triumphs.  The Triumph I had, and a buddy also had one, we had to take all the screws and bolts out and Lock-Tite them so they would come loose and fall out.  My S40 is very smooth, especially up around 55 to 70.   8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/27/06 at 10:19:37

I'm gonna have to agree with Geo. This might be a smooth running single, but it's still a single. My first bike was a CM400T whose carb crapped out on me, and the vibrations with stock grips were still a lot less than my little '97 LS650 with the stock in bar end weights,  iso-grips, and the stilleto end weights. I love the bike, and I got it cheap, but those vibes are killer on the carpal tunnel. I've got a pair of gel palm gloves. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to reduce the vibes?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 12/27/06 at 10:55:27

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I'm gonna have to agree with Geo. This might be a smooth running single, but it's still a single. My first bike was a CM400T whose carb crapped out on me, and the vibrations with stock grips were still a lot less than my little '97 LS650 with the stock in bar end weights,  iso-grips, and the stilleto end weights. I love the bike, and I got it cheap, but those vibes are killer on the carpal tunnel. I've got a pair of gel palm gloves. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to reduce the vibes?

My biggest gripe with the Savage is the seat.  

I don't care how many spacers you install or tricks you try to use to modify it.  It's that rigid mounted, plastic-panned, "wrap around your tailbone" seat that gets me the most.  

The seat is nice and low, but hell on the prostate.  What ever vibration there is, it ultimately ends up in your butt.

I still haven't finished my springer seat because the stupid aftermarket seat broke...but that's another story Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 12/27/06 at 11:01:38

Vibration?  What vibration?  
When I crank the throttle I have so much fun I do not even notice any vibration.   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 12/27/06 at 11:12:04

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Vibration?  What vibration?  
When I crank the throttle I have so much fun I do not even notice any vibration.   Grin

Me thinks that suit of armor might be your real secret.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/27/06 at 11:28:43

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Me thinks that suit of armor might be your real secret.

Oh no ... is my secret out?  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/27/06 at 18:12:22

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

Aren't there aftermarket bushings? maybe something a little softer mounting the handlebars would help? I don't know if they would allow the bars to move too much with strong input, might be a safety issue. Just a thought. Heck, maybe your stock bushings have gotten hard & just replacing them might help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:33:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the Savage Vibrate too much?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.