Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bob job on my 2000 savage (w/ pic) (Read 44 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Bob job on my 2000 savage (w/ pic)
12/24/06 at 20:41:33

So I am bobbing my 2000 savage and have it torn down to the frame, my plan is to give her a new set of gaskets, a pipe job, some new drag bars and pegs, and paint. my question is about my carb. If I am putting on a cone style air filter and steight pipes do i need to rejet the carb as well or can i get away with the spacer mod and tuning?

Also I am trying to clean up my electrical, i have removed turn signals (Alabama dont require them) and the horn. this frees me from needing the left side handlebar controls except for the high beam switch. is there something i can do about this switch or am i stuck with either high or low beam by removing these controls?

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Re: Bob job on my 2000 savage
Reply #1 - 12/24/06 at 20:52:20

Hey splash you would have to mount it somewhere else. I myself moved all the switches to a side panel I made. starter,kill switch and lights are all mounted together. I also got rid of signals and horn, my pipes were louder than the horn anyway.  I also did the spacer mod and some air/fuel adj. it runs great like that but I still plan on rejetting so I would recommend it. good luck with the build. Also with the carb mods i did she ride like a screaming banshee now I mean with just a flick of the throttle I feel like I will fly off the seat no problem. Its great though.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 12/25/06 at 04:51:32

When putting on a high flow air filter, and high flow exhaust, rejetting the carb is a must!! Failure to do so may end in catastrophy.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 12/25/06 at 08:29:36

yeah, definitely need to rejet...

Light Switch Mod

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/25/06 at 14:52:54

well I am far from an expert but I want to know this. We buy our bikes mine is an 07, and they run ver very lean. So we fatten the bottom with a 55 pilot, fatten the mid & top with a 155 main, do the white spacer thing, which by the way is done very nicely on a band saw. So now the lean is gone and it's fat a sassy and running great right? so then why do you want to make it so there is  more air by removing the nozzle or cutting holes or by the cone filter? doesn't that just put you right back where you were? I have done no airbox work but have done the aforementioned carb work. When I check my plug it is perfect coffee color and never a stutter or stumble or hic-cup. And yet i read quite a bit about bikes running not so great after air box mods I think.  I don't know I'm just curious and I know curiosity killed the cat but I'm not a pxxxy, so I guess I'm O.K.  Oh and BTW I love bobbers please post a pic of yours so I can get some new ideas   thanks john

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 12/25/06 at 20:23:15

Yes, you will have to rejet. I have no idea how which main and pilot jet you will need for a straight pipe. You might not be able to get the fuel/air mixture right with the stock carb no matter what you do, if using a straight pipe.

I suggest you install some exhaust restriction with a Jardine or SuperTrapp so you have some chance of getting the right mixture to avoid wrecking the engine.

Maybe someone on this site has done this successfully. ??? HELP Shocked

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 12/25/06 at 23:07:35

Does anyone have any suggestions about the jet kit? I am not familure with what i need as far as which jets to get and where i would most likely find the best price??????? If anyones has a suggestion that would be awsome.
I have had a bad oil leak that seems to be coming from just under the cyl head, i plan on replacing the gaskets and my question is, is there anything else that i should be looking for?

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #7 - 12/26/06 at 06:56:34

I have the Cone filter that your getting and im running a supertrapp.  Since you are opening up the airflow your definately going to need to rejet.  I recomend at least a 152.5 main and 55 pilot.  Depending on where you are from sea level you might need to up it to 155 main.  And tune it by spark plug for optimum performance.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 12/26/06 at 11:35:49

john1652 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
well I am far from an expert but I want to know this. We buy our bikes mine is an 07, and they run ver very lean. So we fatten the bottom with a 55 pilot, fatten the mid & top with a 155 main, do the white spacer thing, which by the way is done very nicely on a band saw. So now the lean is gone and it's fat a sassy and running great right? so then why do you want to make it so there is  more air by removing the nozzle or cutting holes or by the cone filter? doesn't that just put you right back where you were? I have done no airbox work but have done the aforementioned carb work. When I check my plug it is perfect coffee color and never a stutter or stumble or hic-cup. And yet i read quite a bit about bikes running not so great after air box mods I think.  I don't know I'm just curious and I know curiosity killed the cat but I'm not a pxxxy, so I guess I'm O.K.  Oh and BTW I love bobbers please post a pic of yours so I can get some new ideas   thanks john

I don't really think that adding the pod filter does much more than enhance our libido...or something Smiley

Air flow from the stand point of the carb and jets is really controlled by valves, ports, displacement and the exhaust.
It really isn't restricted by the air intake (and would be silly if Suzuki designed it otherwise).  

The airbox is actually designed to allow more than enough air flow...so unless something else is modified (opened up), replacing the airbox won't change anything except the intake noise Smiley

Why do I have one?  I just wanted it.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 01/05/07 at 15:14:07

Got it all back together and running, after putting the cone filter in and doing the 1/2 spacer mod it still backfires a little, any suggestions. thanks for everyones help will post pics when painted

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/05/07 at 15:24:50

maybe go up to the next biggest main or check for exhaust leaks    john

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 10/17/07 at 13:32:17

Well its been a while but she is finally painted, all put back together and running strong. sorry i only have one pic at the moment (I aint got a camera). Thanks for everyones help.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Bob job on my 2000 savage (w/ pic)
Reply #12 - 10/17/07 at 13:47:08

I love that no front fender look along with the fork boots but I'd get way too much crap thrown back at me if I took my fender off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 10/17/07 at 16:10:35

I really like your beer bottle tail light, how did you mount it? Smiley Cheesy Grin Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/17/07 at 21:56:53

I wondered what that was...guess I'm only good with cans Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bob job on my 2000 savage (w/ pic)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.