Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whats the best way (Read 4 times)
Ray_in_Kingwood
Ex Member

Whats the best way
12/24/06 at 12:31:22

to remove the battery. Its raining cats and dogs now but later I would like to remove the battery and put it on this new super duper battery conditioner electronic microprocessor charger I have..... My gold wing one is easy to come out the side..So far I took off the tool pouch bracket....and the 3 screws that hold it in place. Still seems in pretty tight......then it started to rain......just  thought I'd ask. Wanna go back out and finish......

thanks

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Whats the best way
Reply #1 - 12/24/06 at 12:39:37

Your going to get wet,   heheheeh,   Sorry   Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Ray_in_Kingwood
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/06 at 12:41:56

Bike is out of the weather on the porch. When rain stops I'l wheel it in the garage....Need to drain some oil anyway as I overfilled it using the proper amount per the owners guide. My son completed his MC course and should be ready to ride after Christmas.....

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 12/24/06 at 13:04:09

If I remember right, the battery is just a pain to pull out.  I think you can loosen/remove the top of the battery box, which either makes it easier/possible to pull out.  I do remember it turning into more of ordeal than I had expected it to be, though.

It's been too long since I pulled the battery out, hopefully someone else can help more.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/24/06 at 14:40:19

It's easy. You have already got the exit cleared by gettin the tool pouch thing out. Now, take a stubby phillips & get that one out of the top on the left side of the battery cover. Under your left leg as you sit on it. Then do the same to the battery terminals. It is easier with the seat off. Then a long screwdriver will slip past the hoses & stuff poking down thru the frame.
The left end of the cover is secured from the top, the right end is secured under the tool cover. You have already got it loose I bet.

The guy at the suzuki shop told me to use 2.1 qts. Just looked at the book, sure enuff it says about 2.5 quarts. Doesn't take but just a bit over that 2.1 to fill the window up. Bummer.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 12/24/06 at 23:24:54

Use EXACTLY 2 quarts of oil. Or 2 liters if you buy the fancy stuff from the bike shop. Miniscule difference in amount, you'll never notice the difference.

Battery removal? Tool box cover and inner panel come off. So does the seat. Remove the visible terminal screw on the left side, use a magnetic screwdriver. Remove right side terminal screw. Go back to the left side and push the battery toward the right. Grab the battery and slide it out the right. Takes longer to type it than to do it.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/25/06 at 03:38:34

Just make sure you remove the -ve terminal FIRST!! Or you could get sparks when the shank of the long screwdriver touches the frame if you take the +ve off before the -ve ... learned of this foopah 1st hand when I removed my battery in November ...  Roll Eyes

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 12/25/06 at 09:33:01

I found my way is pretty easy(Maybe for me Smiley)
1. Remove the toolbox cover
2. Remove 3 screws that hold the side bracket to get access to battery
3. Pull the battery out about 1/2- 1 inch
4. Remove the screw/bolt that attach the + wire to battery post (Warning-do not let your screwdriver touch bike frame)
5. Now push the battery all the way back inside the battery box and remove the - terminal from the left (I know! There is small cover in the way; but pivot that cover toward the rear then you have more room to work with)
6. Pull the battery out

Took me about 5 minutes to pull it out. Took a bit longer to put back in. Just reverse the above order of remiving.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 11:50:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whats the best way

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.