Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler & Backfiring (Read 3 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Stock Muffler & Backfiring
12/22/06 at 07:42:19

Most seem to agree the backfiring in stock condition is a result of lean carburetion.  Richening by needle position / jet changes helps, but not completely.  Here’s another theory to implicate the stock muffler.  Installation of a better flowing muffler like the SuperTrapp eliminates most, if not all, of the explosive booms with no other changes, even though it tends to lean the running even more.    So a lean condition per se is not the sole culprit.  My guess is the stock muffler is so restrictive it traps unburnt lean mixture long enough for it to ignite later (backfire).   A better flowing muffler exhausts this explosive mix sooner.  If so, how ironic that to meet noise restrictions Suzuki make a muffler actually promoting sonic booms far exceeding the dB standard!

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: Stock Muffler & Backfiring
Reply #1 - 12/22/06 at 15:58:13

This website has tons of information about this. Search on SupreTrapp, white spacer, rejet, muffler etc. and you will be overwhelmed.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #2 - 12/22/06 at 19:25:07

For what it's worth.... You don't state your mileage. It took a good 3.5k miles till my exhaust actually started sounding decent. What happened? I don't know. Burned in? Conditioned? But the Backfiring, at least the little that remains, seems to be just from the exhaust loading up. Does it need "tweeked"? Sure. Will I? Absolutely. I just wanted to point out that new "muffs" need some time to get conditioned to their real Purr.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 12/23/06 at 14:53:26

I took the stock muffler off at 1770 miles and put on a SuperTrapp. It sounded great instantly at 6 discs. The SuperTrapp weighs 10 pounds less than the stock muffler.

Don't live with the stock muffler. Change to a slip on.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #4 - 12/23/06 at 16:33:21

I'll second that!  Put a SuperTrapp on and you've got a whole new bike. Jekyll and Hyde so to speak.  This is the way it was meant to be.  Hard to put in words but the quality of the ride is where it should be and reminds me of the old pre-EPA days of my Velocette and Ducati singles.  The sweet song on over-run (engine braking) is a treat to the ears.  Burble-burble, pop-pop!  Go for it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler & Backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.