hot pipe (Read 3 times)
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
hot pipe
12/22/06 at 04:44:34

Question, took her for a quick spin to warm up to tweek the carb( still running rich). The pipe was glowing red inside, looked like a brake light in the pipe from the back. took 5 min and it just dimmed down and went out like a campfire.  now what?

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: hot pipe
Reply #1 - 12/22/06 at 06:19:02

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Question, took her for a quick spin to warm up to tweek the carb( still running rich). The pipe was glowing red inside, looked like a brake light in the pipe from the back. took 5 min and it just dimmed down and went out like a campfire.  now what?

In my experience its a lean fuel condition. Others may be able to elaborate more. I'd start by adjusting the air fuel screw out. Do you know how many turns you are currently out??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #2 - 12/22/06 at 16:27:29

I was 2 1/2 out keep turning it in but still black smoke, if i rich it up it runs ratty. Think she has a drinking problem Grinbut she feels good so i guess next its a rejet the whole carb Roll Eyes

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 12/22/06 at 17:04:19

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I was 2 1/2 out keep turning it in but still black smoke, if i rich it up it runs ratty. Think she has a drinking problem Grinbut she feels good so i guess next its a rejet the whole carb Roll Eyes

Im in the panhandle and run a 155 main and a 55 pilot with no spacer. If you have not rejetted it will always be lean. Its not a difficult process and I did mine without removing the carb.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/22/06 at 17:49:54

I have that same setup, except I have about a half spacer (two washers). Still get an occasional backfire between gears. I wonder if I should remove all of the spacer?

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/06 at 20:29:35

don't forget altitude to take into consideration with rejetting - I'm @ 4,500 feet with the mods as can see below. still have odd bang on deceleration sometimes but have not tweaked air/fuel screw yet. what I'm saying is besides the alt. here what might work for one person may not work on another's bike with their muffler, etc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:41:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hot pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.