Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil Leak (Read 15 times)
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Oil Leak
12/21/06 at 11:50:28

Maybe this has been addressed before and I didn't see it.  I just went on a 300 mile round trip with the PGR on my 2006 S40, and most of it was from 65 to just over 70 MPH.  When I got home, I noticed I had blown what appears to oil from the area of the Oil fill window, and around the very bottom of the other side.  The ol level still seems to be OK, pretty close to 3/4 showing.  It is going in the shop next week for the 3000 service.  But the question I have, is this to be expected riding like I was?, or could I have a problem?  It still runs quiet and with the same power as before.  I noticed the small amount of what appears to be oil on my heat shield, and on the other side along the very bottom of the lower casing.    ??? ???

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 12/21/06 at 15:27:23

Only place I have ever lost oil was from where the clutch actuator goes thru the case. Haven't lost a drop since I went to 20/40.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 12/21/06 at 15:30:35

Check where the speedo cable goes in. It will leak there if it is not tight or the o-ring is bad.

WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 12/22/06 at 09:53:22

I seen where my oil leak is coming from, I think.  It looks as if it is coming from where the shift linkage enters the lower casing.  It goes in the shop in the morning for a 3000 service, and they said they would look at it.  I HATE TO THINK WHAT THEY WILL CHARGE ME TO FIX THIS LEAK!!  ??? :'(
When I talked to the shop, they have done me right in the past, they said it was not good to run a 650 that long at 65 to 70. ??? I don't think that would bother it that much, maybe a little oil usage, but not any serious damage.  It did blow out enough oil that I do have to add some before I drive it in the morning though.
Do you guys think what I have told is correct?  ???

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #4 - 12/22/06 at 10:18:52

One more thing, if it is only a seal or gasket, how much problem is it changing these things.  ???   I have done some work on my own bikes in the past, although I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world.  I have the tools, and I am not afraid to try it, if it will cost me an arm and a leg for a shop to do it.  Also, does anyone know if this would be covered under the one year warrentee?

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/06 at 11:30:47

It's an O-Ring. That's where mine was leaking.It stopped when I went to 20/40 oil.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #6 - 12/22/06 at 11:37:25

Smiley  Justin_O_Guy, thanks, I hope you are right.  It makes me feel a little better.  I beginning to worry because I am on a very limited budget, and I was worried it would be laidmup for awhile and I would still be making payments.
Like I said, you could see where it was blowing out the oil on my belt guard.  I checked tyhe oil this morning and there were no oil leaks on tyhe garage floor, but the belt guard was a mess.  I checked the oil and there was none showing in the window, but it must still have enough ti lubriicate some, because coming home the other day, it was still running very quiet like a sewing machine.  I am praying you are correct.    Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/06 at 12:29:14

OOOps scratch that. Mine leaks at the clutch actuator thru the case. Yours is where the shifter goes in.
I am sorry. I have no idea about that repair. I asked about mine while it was still under warranty. It was about 1.5 hrs I think. Again, I appologize..

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 12/22/06 at 22:45:08

Well Justin_O_Guy, that's OK.  I just hope it is something as simple as that on mine.  I figure there is something similiar where the shift linkage goes in also.  That is where it looks like it is coming from.  Mine should also be under the warrentee, since I got it new in July and it has only 2800 miles on it.
I wouldn't think running it at 65 and 70 would blow out a seal though.  What do I know though?   ??? Sad

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/22/06 at 23:59:58

I was making 2 trips a week from Longview to Tyler running 70 a lot of the time. I blew no seals, I really don't know why they say not to run it 70. Owners manual tells me I can run it 100 MPH as soon as it's broken in. & I will do just that as soon as I finish all the mods/ (I hope I hope)

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #10 - 12/23/06 at 05:36:49

I appreciate the confidense and info.  70 is fast enough for me on somethng as light as the S40, but I stilo don't like being left behaind if we are running 70 for 40 or 50 miles straight.  I know the Thumper can do it, tyhat is why I think it may be a defective seal.  Still the HD people have been very impressed with the little Thumper when I go on the PGR missions with them.
Still  ???  ???

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 12/23/06 at 05:50:50

debby rode her thumper on a 300 mile trip this last june, we rode 70mph the whole time, and into a 30mph headwind coming home. it never complained at all, 1/4 - 1/2 throttle the whole time, except pushing the headwind was closer to 3/4 throttle. her suzuki would accelerate with my Harley better than her new Harley does.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #12 - 12/23/06 at 11:30:39

Well, I heard from the shop.   Grin Grin No leak found at all, think it was some road crime that I picked up..  I ran into some "stuff" a couple of times, not to mention pieces of a tire a cager blew on the road in front of us.  Had a cager next to me with no where to go.  The HDs were impressed with the little Thumper though.  Had a sore butt when I got home, but that was it.  So, my worries are over.   Grin 8)  Thanks to everyone who had advise.  And yes Azjay, I ran with the HDs, gear for gear, mile for mile.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/06 at 22:52:59

Yep, Dana, your worries are over. Well, maybe one thing to consider. How is it you managed to be so short of oil after a 300 mile blast? I used to use some oil, even before the very minor leak at the clutch actuator/case, when I ran it that hard. Haven't seen it go down yet since I went to 20/40. I haven't seen anyone's take on that oil yet. I may be messing it up. Sure hope not. Also, I saw the oil stay constant in the window when the oil was fresh, but after 1,500 or so miles I started seeing some useage. Good luck, Glad you have no outright leak.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #14 - 12/23/06 at 23:05:15

I have been checking it on regular basis, and have seen a slight drop in it, but it has stayed in the safe range.  I figure it used a little iol between the 300 mile trip and the 200 mile trip the other day.  Both trips were around the same speed.  Before the first trip, the oil was between 1/2 and 3/4.  It may have been "operator error" in checking it on my part also.  The main thing is the shop said "Little Suzi" was well and doing fine.      Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:51:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.