Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil level question (Read 10 times)
Ray_in_Kingwood
Ex Member

Oil level question
12/20/06 at 12:58:28

Owners manual says to put in some 2400 ml or 2 and a quarter quarts of oil in the bike. When I put what they state.........the sight glass is completely full.

Yes I changed the filter so I put in what was required. I hald the bike level.........went as far as to put a bubble level.......yeah overkill I know.........so as not to rely on my sayin..yup she looks level.......and the sight glass if full.

I am thinkin of drainin some out just enough for the sight glass to register three fourths full when the bike is level.

What do you fellers think?

I made sure I put in the full amount and the correct measurement of what the manual called for........its just readin overfilled if I use the glass.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Oil level question
Reply #1 - 12/20/06 at 13:02:08

I always have to rock the bike a couple times to get as much out as possible.  I'd suggest using the sightglass though.  Of course, with a larger rear tire and longer shocks, I have to elevate the front tire a few inches to get a good reading.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 12/20/06 at 13:22:04

Whan I do an oil and filter change    ... I install 2 quarts of oil  but mine is a 87 with a 4 speed    not sure if the transmision makes any dif...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #3 - 12/20/06 at 14:14:27

You're over full. When I re-add in the oil I stop every so often to get a reading on the sight glass.  Whatever is left in I can't get out so don't keep adding...  

Undecided

- Roadie

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 12/20/06 at 15:28:52

I've never been able to get more than 2 quarts in my '02.

Ken

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 12/20/06 at 22:09:46

I put in exactly 2 quart each time I change oil+filter, I put a small piece of 2X4 under the side stand and it show between the 2 marks. This is how I keep track the oil level all the time.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/21/06 at 01:04:42

I read somewhere that the oil level should read mid-way between the 2 marks on the sight glass with the Bike straight up and level.
That said, this is where 2 litres of oil usually puts me with an oil & filter change per the MOM (1.8 litres if not changing filter) ... but last time, 2 litres with a new filter completely filled the sight glass ... guess I didn't have  all of the old oil completely drained out ...
It's prolly only about 200ml's or so between correct level and over full though ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 12/21/06 at 06:56:14

oil is a good thing, when i remembered to add oil, after draining oil  Embarrassed 2qts filled the sight glass to the marks, i thought the book said 1.9 qts w/ filter?

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #8 - 12/21/06 at 21:04:33

Be careful not to over fill with oil, because it will find its way back to the carb and it will make the carb piston hang up. This can be very embarressing when you want to blow away one of those sissy Honda Civics that think they are so hot.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 12/21/06 at 21:24:33

Uh hum, who said Civic is sissy Grin With the K&N filter and free-flow muff on it. WATCH OUT  Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/21/06 at 23:40:52

I was putting 2.1 qts in. Last time, stopped at 2 & it looks Juuuust fine.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 12/22/06 at 03:32:45

Quote:
Uh hum, who said Civic is sissy

I think Geo "meant" that a Civic is sissy, just like any other cage... Shocked

Right Geo? Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #12 - 12/22/06 at 18:37:39

Ray_in_Kingwood wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I hald the bike level.........went as far as to put a bubble level.......yeah overkill I know.......

When I'm not sure, that's exactly how I do it.
SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:00:
I put in exactly 2 quart each time I change oil+filter, I put a small piece of 2X4 under the side stand and it show between the 2 marks. This is how I keep track the oil level all the time.

When using the level, a 2X4 is not tall enough. I need to add about another 1/2 inch. Am I splitting hairs?

And while I'm at it..... How much do you add from bottom to top of the marks. I just pour slowly and check.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/06 at 14:14:38

I also use two quarts and even with a filter change it fills it right up

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 12/23/06 at 15:24:41

I used to put the kick stand on a 2x4 and fill till you can just see the oil at the bottom of the sight glass. At least that's what I did before the oil cooler. With the oil cooler I have the engine running, the 2x4 under the kickstand and look for the same, the level at the bottom of the glass. I'm not sweating the one or two ounce difference between the bottom and middle of the sight glass. Maybe not the best method but it been working for the last 6,000 miles. Keep it Simple

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:40:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.