Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K&N Conical filter (Read 15 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
K&N Conical filter
12/18/06 at 20:43:37

Is there a noticeable enough difference in performance to justify the installation of this air filter?

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: K&N Conical filter
Reply #1 - 12/19/06 at 05:41:05

I'd say yes but it's not the only alternative.  I personally went with the K&N drop in replacement and removed the snorkel.  I'm very pleased with that setup.  There are also foam filters and a lot of discussion about all types.  In general, when you let more air in you let more dirt in.  The reverse is also true.  When you restrict more particulates, you also restrict airflow.  It's up to you to balance it to your tastes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 12/19/06 at 07:26:49

I like my cone K&N filter but something to remember is there is no protection from the rain... (Without an air box)  Yes Im a fair weather rider  Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #3 - 12/19/06 at 08:09:53

you will see a noticable difference in performance and sound.  Because of the increase in airflow, you might need to rejet and at least retune your carb to compensate for the adjustment.  You won't be disapointed  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #4 - 12/19/06 at 17:33:17

I neglected to point out, I'm coming from a K&N slip in.
I've noticed some higher speed power improvement from that. Is the cone better yet?

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 12/20/06 at 05:34:46

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I neglected to point out, I'm coming from a K&N slip in.
I've noticed some higher speed power improvement from that. Is the cone better yet?

I can't say for sure but I would doubt there would be much improvement over the K&N drop-in with the snorkel removed.  The two main differences I can think of would be that you could reclaim the area occupied by the airbox and your intake will be more exposed to rain (if you ride in the rain - some don't).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/20/06 at 05:55:04

Even though the filter is more exposed than before, I don't think there is any concern of water infiltration.  The filter is up against the bottom of the seat and when mounted on the bike the riders legs help protect the sides.  Even when riding in heavy rain I have never found the filter to be wet, much less getting any water through it and into the engine ... a little water vapor could be good for it.

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/20/06 at 11:05:46

Ah lancer

Steam power? now theres an idea Cheesy

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/20/06 at 11:27:52

lancer is quite correct ,haven't you guys noticed that your bike seems to run better on damp days, there have been several atempts to add a little moisture to the air intake but they cant seem to get the right amount ,so they just leave it alone.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 12/20/06 at 14:46:43

Quote:
Ah lancer

Steam power? now theres an idea  

Quote:
lancer is quite correct ,haven't you guys noticed that your bike seems to run better on damp days, there have been several atempts to add a little moisture to the air intake but they cant seem to get the right amount ,so they just leave it alone.

Actually this is an "old" concept.  Water injection has been VERY successful on everything from drag cars to Jet engines.  You can actually build a very mild water vapor injection kit for the savage out of a fish tank bubbler and a small plastic bottle.  Just fill the bottle with water and put the bubbler in the bottom hooked to an outside air source.  Hook a vacuum tube to the top of the bottle so air is sucked through the tube/bubbler setup.  It will bubble through the water and be "injested" by the engine.  Big help in hot/dry climates...  Lots of expensive aftermarket kits out there with power boosts thru 100%.  Thought about one myself.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 12/20/06 at 14:48:37

Clarification:  The fish-tank bubbler is really just a bubbler stone that takes an air source and "bubbles" it through the water it is submerged in.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 12/21/06 at 08:18:17

And this is all soooooo pertinent to the question of whether a K&N cone offers any significant performance improvement over a K&N drop-in filter.

Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 12/21/06 at 20:52:50

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
And this is all soooooo pertinent to the question of whether a K&N cone offers any significant performance improvement over a K&N drop-in filter.

Maybe this is at least back towards the original track: I've been looking at the K&N air filter options for my old '87, and discovered that there isn't a drop-in listed on their web site for the pre- '95 bikes.

Then searching this site I haven't come up with the model number of the Cone filter that is a best fit for the old stock carb. Anyone care to share that model # info?

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #13 - 12/21/06 at 21:36:28

Be careful water injecting and nitrus injecting these engines. The original designers probably didn't account for this when doing the bearing design, and engine structural design. This thing could blow up right into your crotch!

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #14 - 12/22/06 at 19:08:16

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I personally went with the K&N drop in replacement and removed the snorkel.  I'm very pleased with that setup.

"SNOKEL" Air inlet? #10 in some parts list? I'm on my way to the Tech board to get notes on some Mods. Tis the Season.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N Conical filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.