Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OOOPs! Mileage Tanked! Under 35, yukkk (Read 7 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

OOOPs! Mileage Tanked! Under 35, yukkk
12/17/06 at 17:36:49

Okay, here's the story. I jetted the carb, went to a 150. Left the pilot alone. Changed the white spacer to a small washer 1/2 thickness. Punched a hole in the inner pipe in the muffler. about 3/8ths & since it is up inside it is at an angle, so it's about 5/8 long. The bike backfires some as I roll towards a stop or back off thje throttle from a good speed. I don't think it's rich. The inside of the muffler is not at all sooty.Runs real good, doesn't act all bogged down. I don't need the choke to start it tho. I will try it when it gets cold. Any clues?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: OOOPs! Mileage Tanked! Under 35, yukkk
Reply #1 - 12/17/06 at 17:45:35

are you throttle happy???

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/06 at 17:51:37

Uh, Yea! But I was getting about 50 mpg before. Digging coming out of turns is using the gas I know but daaang it's fun.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 12/17/06 at 22:18:51

Whatever you did to the stock muffler didn't work.
You might have to get an after market replacement.
I'm partial to the SuperTrapp because it is adjustable and can be dialed-in to the jet you have chosen for the carb. I used the Dynojet kit to jet the carb.

The Gods don't like the Dynojet kit because they say it is too expensive, $70. The kit simplifies the white washer issue. You use the stock washer unmodified, but Dynojet provides a new needle with different grooves.
Their instructions make the mod simple.
I don't know if their jet numbers relate to Suzuki jets numbers, I suspect they aren't related. Also, the Dynojet needle taper might be different from stock.
I'm happy with my Dynojet mod. I just love rolling that throttle open.

Another thing I have suspected reduces my milage is just lack of use. If the bike sits a week between rides, the fuel will evaporate and escape at the cap. Make sure your cap seal is good. I noticed my milage was bad after I went on vacation and the bike sat for 3 weeks.

On the intake side, make sure your air filter is clean.
I prefer the K&N air filter. It has a better seal to the air box, and it improves power at higher engine speeds when the engine demands more air. I suggest however that rather than reoiling this filter, throw it away and get a new one after 10K miles. Why oil on top of old captured dirt?

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 12/17/06 at 22:42:29

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
l I suggest however that rather than reoiling this filter, throw it away and get a new one after 10K miles. Why oil on top of old captured dirt?

Woot! You must have ton of money to throw away
Shocked They sell the recharge kit that you clean the filter first then reoil for much less than a new filter. BTW the kit will do several recharge Smiley

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 12/17/06 at 22:58:43

I'm on Social Security. You're paying the bill!

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/18/06 at 04:40:35

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I'm on Social Security. You're paying the bill!

Likewise.  Though I would prefer to be functional on a daily basis, as it is my body may work one day and then take 2 or 3 off.  It is a pain ... literally ... chronic stuff that requires a handful of med's thrice/day.  
Enough of my pity party, I am thankful for the care I get that makes things basically manageable.

Santa will be here before long, has everyone been good this year?
[glow=red,2,300] HO HO HO !!! [/glow]

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/18/06 at 13:53:09

???????????.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 12/18/06 at 16:48:30

The problem is not the muffler. Before putting on my straight pipe, I had a punched hole in my stock can as well. To cure your backfire rolling off the throttle you need to change the pilot jet to that #55 you were considering and adjust the idle mixture screw on the right side of the carb. That'll fix ya up just fine like. Anyone here can say what they will but it works fine without buying $200.00 mufflers and $75.00 air filters. I'm still running my stock air filter with my muffler and carb mods and the top side of 90 is never a problem. I also haven't heard a backfire since swapping out the pilot jet months ago.( Thanks SeattleSavage! )

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 12/18/06 at 17:50:32

It is still possible the exhaust could cause backfiring but usually only if it's been removed (or loosened and re-tightened).  A leak in the exhaust can definitely be a culprit.  I don't know how many times I retuned my carb before I finally replaced the exhaust gaskets.  The gaskets were the fix.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 12/18/06 at 19:14:23

Ok, as usual Rob is right. But, If all you did was punch a hole in it and not loosen it anywhere. I'm betting on the pilot jet.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/19/06 at 05:48:40

I reported the backfire not to complain but to indicate it's npt rolling down the road dripping gas out the back. My current & loudest whine is about the under 35 mpg.

THough, if changing the pilot jet to a 55 would yield a better ride I would consider it for sure/

I just want a quick ride that still gives decent MPG, anyone got the mods that accomplish that?

Thanks to all for the input. I have never loosened the muffler bolts & haven't dropped it so I would be surprised if it is that. I can (& will) look at the joint & see if there's any soot tho.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/19/06 at 06:18:50

I am surprised you lost that much in mileage.  When I had a 152.5 main, 55 pilot, K&N drop-in and the MAC muffler, I got about 50-52 highway and 45+ in city driving.  I'm getting a hair less with the Amal carb but it's still close to that.  I know my mileage gets worse with a lot of stop-n-go riding and with lots of hard acceleration.  Anyway, it seems yours occurred when you made changes.  If that's true, I'd verify the operation of the needle and the float to be sure they're not sticking.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 12/19/06 at 06:23:40

Just as an afterthought, you might also look for a small leak.  I found that the Amal carb I bought had a dual banjo fitting instead of a single and one side had been "capped" with a rubber cap of sorts.  The problem was that the cap used was not a petroleum resistant rubber and it began leaking.  For a while it was drops at a time and basically only when riding because of the vacuum-actuated petc0ck.  It was enough to mess with my mileage and yet go unnoticed because the drops were blown away during my ride. It got worse over time.  I once saw a drop on one vent tube and went off into checking my float, etc. but found nothing.  It turns out that capped fitting is above the vent tube on the carb.  Eventually it got to where it was dripping when I stopped and I saw it.  I replaced the banjo with a single (shipped from England) and all is well.  Anyway, a leak in a fuel line or at a banjo fitting or inline filter can make a difference and can go unnoticed for a while.  Just a thought.

justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/19/06 at 06:26:42

Thoughts are what I am after, thanks.

Eventually someone will offer up the one that counts.. I will look into that one, too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:30:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OOOPs! Mileage Tanked! Under 35, yukkk

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.