Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability and fuel economy? (Read 52 times)
steveh
Ex Member

Savage reliability and fuel economy?
12/15/06 at 15:54:21

I am a newcomer to the Savage site. I have read as a guest for several weeks now and am seriously considering buying a Savage. This bike will be a year-round commuter for me, so reliability and fuel economy are major issues.
I have learned a lot so far from everyone here and really appreciate the information.  Can anyone comment on Savage fuel economy and what I might expect in a commute at 45-55 mph?
I have read about oil leaks, cam chain failure, etc. I would like to hear from some of you about the reliability of the Savage in daily commuting duty.  Is it trouble prone or a reliable bike?
Thanks in advance for all your help!  I may soon be a regular member.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Savage reliability and fuel economy?
Reply #1 - 12/15/06 at 16:50:38

Seems pretty reliable to me,  5000 miles in about 8 months.  Simple to troubleshoot and fix, easy to maintain, and 60 to 65mpg at commuter speeds.  
Buy one, enjoy, and welcome,
serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/15/06 at 17:24:50

The oil leaks are not a big issue 95% of the time, since it is usually just a slight leak and does not cause any serious problems.  I have only heard of 2 cam chain breaks but they seem to be discussed over and over.  Many owners have logged a lot of miles on the Savage with no problems at all.  Some have gone cross country with no difficulty, and others have ran the snot out of it doing 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs over and over again and the bike does just fine.  I have found the clutch does slip a bit when the engine power is almost doubled, but other than that all is well.
It is a good bike ... very dependable and fun to ride.

When it was new and bone stock the milage was 52.  With the mod's I have done it would vary between 46 if riding hard and fast, to 48 for spirited fun riding, to 50 when cruising on the highway.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 12/15/06 at 17:43:45

my savage is pretty much a commuter. I have had no problems. I had an oil leak when I started, then it quit leaking. I still plan on replacing the plug seal this winter while adjusting the valves and inspecting the cam tensioner. The LS 650 is an exellent commuter. I get nearly 60mpg and the bike is rapidly paying for itself, with the gas savings. I used to spend $20 a week in gas now its a $1.80. Using the new gas prices vs. the old gas prices Im up almost $1500. Of course I get to ride 10 1/2 months out the year. In my opinion its the ultimate commuter and this is from a nearly two decade CB rider. Bottom line if you can find a decent machine for around $2k the gas savings vs. your cage will pay for the bike rapidly. What do you have to lose?? Mods are cheap and satisfaction is huge. JMHO.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 12/15/06 at 18:05:22

I wear ear-plugs to keep from chasing the buzzing/squeeking speedo-cable. Roll Eyes
Other than that, I have NO COMPLAINTS.  60+ MPG, 75 mph cruising, no chain, no coolant system to service, no shaft/ring gear to lube.  All-in-all, less routine mnx than any other bike I've owned so far, and I've owned 3 hondas, 1 kawasaki, and 2 yamahas.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 12/15/06 at 19:12:51

My savage was very reliable when I used it as a daily commuter. At the speeds you mention,  I would expect well over 50 mpg. (I got over 50 mpg at higher speeds commuting). Depending on you distance the range may be a hassle. Also as a year round commuter even in NC you are probably going to want something out in front of you.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 12/15/06 at 22:46:02

I got legal and started riding Thumper on October 14th, 2004.   Have done about 10,000 miles over the past two years.  Overfilled the oil and developed The Leak the first month.  Still have it.  Replaced the rear tire soon after getting the bike and it needs replacing again.  Front was good, replaced it a few months ago, about the same time I replaced front brake pads.  Rear shoes are about gone, will do them when I do the rear tire.

Am suppose to check/adjust valves; haven't.  I haven't even looked at the spark plug.   Have changed the oil and filter a few times -- at 2500 to 4000 mile intervals.  Had a broken clutch cable.   Mostly Thumper has been taking me to and from work  quite reliably for over two years with pitiful maintenance.  I am planning on taking Thumper to the GEEIA reunion next September in OKC, and since I'm that close will be seeing #1 daughter in Jonesboro after.  Depending on how I feel after the ride east I may do a BB1500 on the return (Jonesboro to Needles is 1505 miles.)

I am an abusive vehicle owner, Thumper takes it.  I couldn't ask for a more reliable motorcycle.

My commute is 4 miles one way, stops, traffic lights.  Cruise at 35-45 but average is closer to 15-20 due to waiting for lights.  Thumper likes to get up to speed speed quickly.  Yet no matter how I try I can't get the mileage much below 45 mpg.  On the few road trips I've taken the mileage is up around 60 -- which still includes a considerable amount to street as well as freeway/highway use.  The cruising in the 45-55 mph range has to be 65 mpg+ to give me the 60 mpg average.

WWW   IP Logged
flywest
YaBB Newbies

The West is Best
Frederiksted St.
Croix.

St.Croix US Virgin Islands
Reply #7 - 12/16/06 at 02:29:12

Smiley My commute is 18m round trip, I like to get the Thumper up to cruise speed quick about 60-62mph. The last 1400 miles I got 50.88mpg. Just oil changes & no mods, she a 2006 modle .    Grin

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 12/16/06 at 10:50:59

I bought a 96 abt 14 months ago, I ride it to work nearly ever day, 25 mile round trip on city streets. It had 6500 miles, now has over 13K.  gets 50-52 mpg.

only 2 failures:
battery died, bought an AGM (BigCrank.com)
broke shift rod, had to wait a week for a new one,
it stuck in 2nd gear, but it still got me home.

any vehicle that doesn't leave me stranded somewhere is reliable to me.

oh, yeah, I park it right at the front door of the factory,
the boss lady asked about my oil leak (she has several bikes)
I told her It doesn't leak oil, it just marks its territory.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
bigvl800rider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/16/06 at 15:26:48

i bought my 04 new, rode the snot out of it, back rodes, highway, dreaded interstate.  did what it was made to do.  only prob, irc tires suk and front brake pads go bad quickly.  otherwise, 55mpg with my big a$$ on it.  love it, light weight, lots of power (pulled a wheelie)

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #10 - 12/16/06 at 18:17:04

I've had excellent reliability with mine. What little problems I've had were caused by my own tinkering.
I've never done better than 46mpg, but this is all in town type driving. I've never taken it on an extended road run without stops. Bike has 6350 miles on it.

My commute distance was only 2 miles when I was working, I'm now retired. This explains why my milage is not as good. If your commute is 20 miles in each direction, and it is pretty much non stop, I can see the 60mpg numbers some have reported.

I sometimes think; why don't you sell this motorcycle and get a pickup truck? The bike's value has dropped a lot, say to about $2800. Man, this this bike has a lot more value than that to me. I'll keep it. It is still a real enjoyable ride. Maybe I'll park it in my dining room.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 12/16/06 at 20:35:15

I have a 2006 S40 and today I rode with a group of 65 Patriot Guard Riders, and I got almost 64 MPG.  The ride was mostly 60-65 MPH with a lot slowing down and accelerating back to 60 or so.  I have 2400+ miles on it, and commute around 13 miles a day, and except for the occassional back fire and occassional squeek of the speedo, not problems.  I love the little bike.  It will be about two years before I think about going to the S50 or S83.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability and fuel economy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.