Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody Tried the Ignition Advance Yet? (Read 23 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Anybody Tried the Ignition Advance Yet?
12/15/06 at 13:01:47

Time to throw something different out for discussion, has anybody tried to advance the ignition on a Savage yet? There was a post a while ago about it, the idea came from another board. Seems all that needs to be done for this mod is pulling the left side cover on the engine, removing the sensor, enlongating the holes in the mounting bracket so you can slide the sensor clockwise, tighten it up and put it all back together. Anybody planning on this for a winter project?. Could you use the same range of jets in the carb or would the engine need something bigger than a 155 main? I've been dying to try this mod since I heard about it but am a bit nervous about going where no Savage owner has gone before Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Anybody Tried the Ignition Advance Yet?
Reply #1 - 12/15/06 at 14:11:52

well, you've alreaedy done the oil cooler mod!

I don't think anyone else did that...

I'm not yearning to try this one myself yet...

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 12/15/06 at 15:09:32

I'm curious, what you think you will gain??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - 12/15/06 at 15:14:35

Years ago when I worked for a Ford dealer ....We used to file the cam sprocket at the key way on our emp owned pintos... It made a big difference... Boy do I feel old !!!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 12/15/06 at 15:52:36

I've been told that advancing the spark helps produce more power. Used to do it on all the cars I drove before everything got computerized, moved the distributor up maybe three or four degrees and presto chango an instant hot rod Grin. Would think the Savage could benefit from a bit more spark advance, after all it is tuned for emissions not performance.  Advancing the spark on my little '69 Ducati 250 makes a lot of difference so I would expect the same with the Savage. Just looking for more power with minimum expense.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 12/15/06 at 17:10:13

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I've been told that advancing the spark helps produce more power. Used to do it on all the cars I drove before everything got computerized, moved the distributor up maybe three or four degrees and presto chango an instant hot rod Grin. Would think the Savage could benefit from a bit more spark advance, after all it is tuned for emissions not performance.  Advancing the spark on my little '69 Ducati 250 makes a lot of difference so I would expect the same with the Savage. Just looking for more power with minimum expense.  

So this mod is mainly an acceleration mod and not a top end mod?? I enjoy experiements and would like to know more myself. Perhaps kropatchek can shed some light. I remember seeing his name on the DE forums.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 12/15/06 at 18:15:05

A typical pro/street v-8 likes no more than about 34 degrees BTDC total timing.  I don't know what the Savage is set at the factory, but most cars are significantly higher than that for emissions purposes.  A bigger jet and decreased total timing might actually increase top-end.  I'd have to know factory cam timing and ignition curve/total timing setting to predict this but you don't want to burn much fuel as the piston is coming up, it's counter-productive for power but tends to help emissions.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 12/15/06 at 18:32:07

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
A typical pro/street v-8 likes no more than about 34 degrees BTDC total timing.  I don't know what the Savage is set at the factory, but most cars are significantly higher than that for emissions purposes.  A bigger jet and decreased total timing might actually increase top-end.  I'd have to know factory cam timing and ignition curve/total timing setting to predict this but you don't want to burn much fuel as the piston is coming up, it's counter-productive for power but tends to help emissions.

my ls650 shop manual states the following.

ignition type is transistorized. 5 degree BTDC below 2000r/min and 30 degree BTDC above 4000r/min.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 12/16/06 at 00:28:34

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

ignition type is transistorized. 5 degree BTDC below 2000r/min and 30 degree BTDC above 4000r/min.

It would be interesting to know what the whole exact timing curve of that "transistorized" circuit is.

As an amateur/novice electronics hack (I fix and build guitar amps and other electronic devices) I’d also like to know exactly what is encapsulated into the ignition unit.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 12/16/06 at 00:58:38

I'm intending on doing the ignition mod at the next oil change, it may only be a couple of degrees but it will sharpen the acceleration a bit, not looking for top end.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 12/16/06 at 06:31:22

Quote:

That surprizes me a little, but given that I wouldn't do much to it without increasing the cylinder compression by a couple points.  I personnally won't be changing my timing.  If it turned out to be over 35 BTDC, I would have looked into backing it off a touch.

On another note, higher octane fuel should help with more timing advance.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 12/16/06 at 08:05:25

Being able to recurve the spark advance by modifing the ignition module would be the way to go, unfortunately I don't have the knowhow to perform it. I think I read somewhere that the module can come apart for access to the control board. You would need the circuit diagram for the board to figure out what's what.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 12/19/06 at 06:55:00

On KLX ignition timing is:-

5degrees @ 1300rpm
31degrees @ 3000rpm

I'm hopeing for 7/33 maybe

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:15:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody Tried the Ignition Advance Yet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.