Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sidecars (Read 46 times)
Phelonius
Ex Member

sidecars
12/15/06 at 11:32:19

Having just aquired an S-40 new, I intend to mount a Velorex sidecar to it. Any of you have pictures of mounting systems or experience in mounting this model.
I am not new to sidecars, just new to this model. I have had 6 sidecars in the past, but would welcome any input on the subject of mounting to the S-40.
Thanks

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: sidecars
Reply #1 - 12/15/06 at 16:06:33

Don't know a lot about sidecars but with the extra weight a rejet, aftermarket exhaust and K+N air filter might be a goood idea. Think you could use all the power you can get.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 12/15/06 at 16:53:24

Use the search feature and look for submission by Dr. Jim. He has a set like you want to do. Or use the search feature for sidecar, be sure to set it back many days, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 12/16/06 at 00:23:14

On the subject of sidecars

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #4 - 12/16/06 at 03:12:05

Phelonius wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Having just aquired an S-40 new, I intend to mount a Velorex sidecar to it. Any of you have pictures of mounting systems or experience in mounting this model.
I am not new to sidecars, just new to this model. I have had 6 sidecars in the past, but would welcome any input on the subject of mounting to the S-40.
Thanks

Phelonius

Can't remember the person that's done this.  But it was a sweet set up.  If can't dig it up let us know.  And yes, according to them it came out fine.  Looked really nice as well.

Urals are 650's right?  And they have side cars. ...

So it's all cool.

- Roadie

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #5 - 12/16/06 at 05:26:18

You might want to check under "Show us your ride" post.  Dr Jim has a cozy sidecar with a set up that might fit your needs. Grin

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #6 - 12/16/06 at 05:27:42

BTW LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS ON PAGE 8

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/16/06 at 08:28:35

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:24:49 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/16/06 at 12:52:43

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Sorry guys - would have replied days ago, but we've been without power after a pretty decent windstorm.

I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the Velorex's looks, the front end is just too plain and stodgy for my tastes,
Using universal clamp-mounts on the Savage can be difficult - the front tube is too large in diameter for most clamps, and the other mount points are hidden by the exhaust and the air box.

For the upper-front Cozy mount we used a 5" long custom clamp-on mount made in British Columbia - contact member 'Suzi' for more information - it's really stout, and is the ticket for Steib/Cozy 'swan-neck' mounts.

The lower-front mount was designed to replace the front footpeg on a Royal Enfield - it's a bent tube with a round clevis for a bolt to pass through - we modified it slightly, and it now replaces the Suzuki RF engine mount spacer - fitting neatly between the engine and the frame.

The lower rear mount is a standard Clevis Mount from Dauntless Motors,  threaded for 14x1.5mm,  which replaces the Suzuki swing arm axle nut.

The upper rear mount is a Clevis Mount on a 1 3/4" 12mm stud that is simply bolted through the lower rear hole of the chrome fender bracket - the hole was drilled for 12mm clearance, and the mount bolted in place of the stock bolt.

It took some time to sort this all out, so I hope this helps you.

The Savage is a wonderful mid-weight tug in its stock form - I am doing the muffler, spacer, and jet mods this weekend if the power comes back on, and will report on them.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks, just the kind of advice I was seeking. I have removed the assembly that supports the muffler and welded a gusset diagonaly in the center of it, and a block of steel tapped for 18mm by 1.50 pitch underneath it. This should suffice for a lower rear mount.
I like your idea of the upper rear mount, so if I cannot buy a bolt such as you describe, I will lathe one out.
I am fabricating a lower front mount that will take it's main support from the right side frame tube and incorperate a peice that goes to the left side tube to prevent any tendency to rotate.
I haven't yet decided on the upper front mount but would like to know more about the one you spoke of. Picture perhaps?
I did not choose the Velorex for it's beauty. It was chosen for it's light weight and good record of servicability. I got mine in nearly new condition,( first owner put it on his bike and scared himself badly and took it off right away,) for 1200 dollars. I just happened to be searching for a velorex at the time so it was a done deal.
P. S. I will contact Dauntless to learn about the lower rear you described. I might like it better than my own.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/16/06 at 15:43:10

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:23:09 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print