Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chirping in the drive train (Read 13 times)
Phelonius
Ex Member

Chirping in the drive train
12/15/06 at 11:27:15

New machine chirps in the rain ? Is this normal? I have never had a belt drive system before. At about 85 miles it started to rain and I heard a constant chirping. When I pulled the clutch it stops. It only chirps when in gear and moving forward with the clutch engaged.
Is this normal for a belt drive, or is something in need of attention?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Chirping in the drive train
Reply #1 - 12/15/06 at 13:33:58

Belts can and do make noises, but if your (brand new?) bike is "chirping" while the clutch is engaged, and stops when the clutch is disengaged (coasting), it is highly unlikely that the belt system is the cause. More likely the clutch pack, though it would be unusual for a wet clutch system to "chirp."

If the bike is brand new I'd be tempted to give it a few more break-in miles and see if the noise settles down.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 12/15/06 at 14:20:39

It may be that the belt is too tight.  The way to check is to grab the lower portion and if youc an rotate it 90 degrees it is the right tension.  If more, too loose.  if less, too tight.

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/15/06 at 14:30:06

I too experienced the chirping when my bike was new, which was 3241 miles ago or mid October, it is an 07. When it was wet or loose it would and still does chirp. I can always tell when the chain or I mean the belt needs tightened because it chirps.   john

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/15/06 at 22:00:57

If it is wet or was wet recently mine chirps. I have stopped using the spring loaded thing to set the belt tension. I use the twist. I also use Gulf canning wax on the belt sometimes when the chirp gets on my nerves. Downside? Chucks it on the wheel & wax on chrome is ugleeeee. I'll bet your problem is not clutch related.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 12/16/06 at 07:20:24

Use the 90 degr. twist method for the tension and check from the rear that the belt runs in the middle of the pulley. A LITTLE candle wax on the side of the belt is all you put on the belt, although I prefer a clean belt lubricated with talcumpowder.
Forget the gearbox or clutch, they never chirp.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 12/16/06 at 07:42:54

The day I picked up my brand new 05 S40, it had been raining. The belt chirped most of the way home. It only does it when damp or wet. Wiping the sides of the belt with a dry cloth seems to help for a short while. Your rear tire may be a bit askew, causing the belt to rub on one or both pulleys.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/16/06 at 12:59:56

Thanks for all the input Guys.
I guess it's not something to lose any sleep over. so I'll just keep it in adjustment and learn to enjoy the chirp in the rain. Out here in the Pacific northwet there is no shortage of the stuff. In this area there are folks who ride in the rain and folks who do not ride. Out here all motorcycles have water cooled engines at least part of the time.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 12/19/06 at 19:33:58

Two night ago, it was extremely foggy here on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, and when I got off work at around midnight, my belt chirpped for a few seconds also, but then quit.  I have road in the rain and never heard it, and once I got up to about 30 MPH the other night, the chirp stopped.  My belt may be a little off center, but it don't appear to be rubbing on the pullys.  If it is rubbing, it is barely touching it.  Next week, it goes in for the 3000 mile service, and I am going to have the shop check it for me, along with the annoying speedo squeek.
I still love the S40 though.    Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 12/19/06 at 19:45:26

i've said it before, i'll say it again.

like my wife, i've learned to tune it out.  Grin Grin Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #10 - 12/19/06 at 22:05:54

Your belt may have repositioned a little during break-in as it wears into its most comfortable position. OR, the belt might not have been in its best position when it left the factory. So do the following inspection/adjustment:

Lift the rear wheel off the floor using a jack. Shift the transmission into neutral. Now you sit on the floor in back of the bike and rotate the rear wheel in the forward direction and observe how the belt tracks on the back pulley. The belt should have some clearance with each flange of the back pulley. If the belt has no clearance, or rubs one of the flanges, loosen the axel bolt and the tensioners on each side of the wheel. Using the tensioner bolt, try to dial in the belt position on the pulley so there is clearance between the belt and both pulley flanges. You must rotate the rear wheel forward to observe the tracking. The marks on each tensioner to the pivot arm should be very close to identical. Re-tighten the tensioner fasteners and recheck the tracking. If OK, re-tighten the axel bolt and check again.

I've never had this chirping problem, but I have always been careful to go through this belt tracking adjustment every time I've had to remove the rear wheel. You will have to remove the rear wheel, because the stock rear tire is schlock, and will wear out quickly. If you're lucky you won't get a puncture, but I did, and had to remove the rear tire to fix that. Note, these are tube type tires.
Also, check how your belt is positioned on the back pulley each time you inspect your bike before riding.

I've never had to use waxes on the edges of the belt, but maybe I've been lucky with the belt I got. If your belt is a little off, and won't track well, then maybe wax is the answer to reduce the flange contact friction.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 12/20/06 at 18:28:19

Thank you Geo.  I am putting the S40 in next week for the 3000 mile service, and I was planning on having them check that for me as well as a couiple other things.  Santa is bringing me a jack for X-Mass, I hope he thinks I have been a good boy.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/20/06 at 21:30:19

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:21:15 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #13 - 12/21/06 at 05:57:27

Grin  Ya, I know, those parakeets can be a pain in the know what.  Next week I will be trying to get rid of them.  As long as they don't have babies, I will be OK.
Grin Grin

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #14 - 12/21/06 at 06:47:45

I had never heard of the 90 degree method.  I spent 20 min getting the belt to the tension the manual said.  It was tough getting the bolts on both sides tightened evenly and then have the belt just right.  I guess I can throw that out the window and just do the 90 from now on.  I have had the chirp for the last 2k miles.  Still drives me nuts because I can remember when it didn't.  If I cant fix it ill just make the exhaust lauder  8)

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:48:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chirping in the drive train

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.