the saga continues! (Read 11 times)
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
the saga continues!
12/12/06 at 17:56:25

O.K. got the bike running, went to go for a bite. ran out of gas,so hit a gas station. only got 29 miles to the gallon??! when filling up, noticed gas on the chrome. on further looking found gas trails on side covers and frame too.  Gas was flowing out of the carb breather lines Undecided And she still started! trucked her home :'(
got a new jet valve for the float and checked the rest for good measure. put her together and no more gas runing out of the tubes. But..... she wont start.any Ideas?
and thanks, reading here got me this close!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Re: the saga continues!
Reply #1 - 12/12/06 at 18:08:17

will it start with the choke pulled out?

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #2 - 12/12/06 at 18:15:44

Nope Embarrassed and the plug was  ok too, maybe not getting enough fuel?air fuel screw is out 1 1/2 turns.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #3 - 12/12/06 at 18:29:56

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
O.K. got the bike running, went to go for a bite. ran out of gas,so hit a gas station.

O.K. Slow down. " The saga continues" What was going on before this happened?  "Got the bike running" How was it running before? Have you been working on it, even if it's unrelated?

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #4 - 12/12/06 at 18:34:41

replaced cam and chain, got it running. smoked rich. got sea foam, ran a tank. then gas coming out of carb breather lines. worked  carb...now cant start her.

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/12/06 at 18:39:26

hey Sparkett, how long have you had the bike? Has it been getting bad gas mileage, or just recently? Is it possible when you took the carb off,I am assuming you took the carb off, thay you connected the lines in-correctly? btw if you take the plug out again pour a couple of tablespoons of gas in the hole, put hte spark plug back and see if it fires. OR get a reallly really big hammer and*******no don't do that   john

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #6 - 12/12/06 at 19:21:41

Oooh _k got her as a "bike in a box"  six weeks ago(cam was streched) motor removed from frame, and all removed parts were in the box.Parts arrived and the motor went together again. Minor set back..motor jumped off bench and cracked at the top-ovaled the hole for the bracket to frame :'( MORE Parts! put it together again! got her running, but ratty. Cam must have slipped . reset timing and put her together again.Fired her up! ran, but rich, and a little rough( see prior post) got seafoam, and ran out the tank ful. She did run out better, smooth and nimble. didnt notice she was back flowing gas out of carb breather tubes. redid jet in carb, now it wont start ??? no gas leaking tho Cheesytried gas in spark plug entry, didnt work. battery on charge now.plug looks good.its new and one hotter because of the sea foam and trying to have her burn cleaner.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 12/12/06 at 19:26:54

First od all, check to see if you have gas in the carb bowl. Place the petc0ck in PRIME then open up the drain screw on the bottom or side of the float bowl and be ready for gasoline coming out--Hint: some small container to catch all this fuel Shocked
If you have a steady flow, then proceed to next step. Does it smell like raw gas coming out of your muff during the cranking of the starter?
Yes--check to see if you have spark on the sparkplug
No--turn the pilot air screw in all the way or 3 turn out and try to see if you can get the Beast running.

That is how I did the last time my beast decide not to start after I remove the carb to do the half spacer+main jet mod. Good luck

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #8 - 12/12/06 at 19:43:48

Thanks! Its late, but in the am i will check spark and post if she wants to run or we will try any other suggestions you guys have. Thanks all, got so much from the posts on here i know she is gonna make it!

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/13/06 at 13:37:26

Well did you try anything that worked yet?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 12/13/06 at 14:39:58

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
redid jet in carb, now it wont start ???

if your sure you have gas in the carb and a spark - might want to check the last thing touched - that washer was under the jet right?

IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/13/06 at 16:41:02

Maybe your Tubes that run the gas flow is not in the right spot. When my husband motorcyle has problems like that he had to readjust the hose on the top the to let the gas drain down to the carbs. His was a fuel flow problem. I don't know much but maybe it might help. Undecided

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #12 - 12/13/06 at 18:37:43

Battery charged, gas in carb bowl, spark plug has spark,  wiring connections & fuses OK!  Put gas in spark plug hole and still wont start.  HELP!!!!

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 12/13/06 at 19:40:43

Okay this was my goof-off when tinkering. When I did the carb half spacer mod, I also forgot to put back the spring into the slide; so I guess the slide got stuck somewhere in the mid way. Therefore, the bike wouldn't start for nobody until I put the spring back in there. Maybe you can somehow take a peek inside the carb via the opening where the air filter box connected to the carb (2 clamps and a flexible tube removed) to see if the slide is stuck wide opened.
Just a shot in the dark here ??? ???

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #14 - 12/14/06 at 03:41:32

spring is in! gasket is seated right, gas in bowl. cant try to start it and smell exhaust at the same time.Pulled carb again, shot carb cleaner in every hole and double checked float position too.only weird thing, choke isnt staying out, keeps popping back in.
get the click and decompress moves,gas going in bowl, spark plug firing,What am I missing? arrrrg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › the saga continues!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.