Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED (Read 8 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Battery's LIFE SPAN
Reply #15 - 12/14/06 at 02:24:04

All i know is its a special battery made just for this model of bike! How do I know this? My battery went dead on me in Pendelton Oregon. I tried every darn bike shop, wal-mart, k-mart, auto parts shops and had no luck til I got to a Suzuki dealer in Iowa. I had to sit and wait 3 days for them to order it and it cost me $65. If you question your battery, change it! Mine tested out good enough at the dealers before I left, but changes in altitude and weather can leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

IP Logged
Mike M
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - 12/14/06 at 10:31:09

My OEM battery lasted about 3 years.  I replaced it with a cheepo sears lawn mower battery, which has worked fine for 2 years now.  The vent hose is on the wrong side of the Sears battery, so it took a bit of snaking around to make it work, but it fit fine.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/14/06 at 11:07:51

Since I "Use" my  Jr. to do my battery checking, he said the very next time he goes in there he's buying me a Big Crank so he won't have to do the "add water" thing. It IS a real pregnant dog to get to and he really requires major paybacks Grin

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 12/14/06 at 13:05:39

I had to replace the battery on my '02 last year, it was getting weak, showed too much of a voltage drop when cranking. Plus if the bike didn't start right away it wouldn't start unless jumped. The owner of the local mom and pop motorcycle store said two or three years is all that can be expected out of a stock battery. I always thought a cheep trickle charger could be made using a regular light timer and a plugin 12 volt power supply that puts out maybe 1/4 amp. Just set the timer to kick the power supply on for an hour a day. It would keep the battery topped of without burning it out by running a charge into it all day. Just trying to reinvent the wheel as usual Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/14/06 at 22:07:01

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:19:11 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED
Reply #20 - 12/27/06 at 14:11:08

Well, I put the Big Crank in and the bike start right up Grin The old battery had a few cell way-below the low level mark. But the cell at the inspection window show MIN while other hidden cells went low. So we can just rely on that inspection window Roll Eyes

Now that I have a sealed battery, no more inspection needed Cheesy

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #21 - 12/28/06 at 15:48:09

Stock OEM battery ... 3 Riding Seasons so far ... regularly charged (every 4-6 weeks) during the off season and the cells topped up with distilled water every Spring ... no problems at all (yet).

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #22 - 01/03/07 at 21:10:29

6 year OEM battery????
My bike wouldn't start today and it seemed to be the battery.  So, hubby and I removed it and found out that one of the plastic yellow caps was broken, and some electrolyte was missing from the first channel.   Yet, it was an OEM battery, so I'm guessing that it is the original battery from 2000.  The bike didn't have many kilometers on it when I bought it in 2005, so maybe that's why it lasted 6 full years!!!   Grin

Anyway, we went to Cdn. Tire and purchased a motormaster bike battery.  Once it's charged up, I will take the bike for a testrun tomorrow.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery's LIFE SPAN-UPDATED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.