Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Most miles/kms on a typical savage???? (Read 34 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Most miles/kms on a typical savage????
12/09/06 at 18:59:25

Hi!  Did a search but didn't find an answer.  

I was just wondering how many miles or kilometers our savages can typically do - given the one cylinder engine etc.  Can I reasonable expect to have my savage do 50,000 or more miles?  I've heard that Goldwings can easily do 100,000 miles no problem, but is that usual for most motorcycles?  

I only have @13,000 kms. on my savage, but I've only had it just over one year, and the previous owners didn't put many kms. on it in the five years of the bike.

How many miles or kms. do those of you have - who've done a lot of riding?  Wonder what the top mileage for the people here would be?

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Most miles/kms on a typical savage????
Reply #1 - 12/09/06 at 19:17:29

I saw a Savage in a parking lot with 85,000 on the clock. From the looks of it there had been no serious maintenance done. It was in rough shape & I didn't get to hear it run.Like all things, your experience may vary & how ya treat it will surely affect the longevity. If mine makes 50,000 without a complete overhaul I will consider it a miracle.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 12/09/06 at 23:56:24

I haven't really gave it much thought, although I would think it depends on your maintenance and how you drive it.  I am a conservative rider, 65 and 70 on the highway and a lot of country road cruising.  I believe in regular maintenace as "required" by the dealer.  I may spend a little more money, although I think it will be worth it in the long run.  I plan on trading it in about two years from now, and if I don't have any mishaps, I plan on having it look almost the same as now.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/10/06 at 10:31:54

I think the Savage could get 75,000 or more without a major overhaul if the oil & filter was changed every 2,000 miles & the camchain every 25-30K miles. Just my speculation. I've got 3,800 on mine.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #4 - 12/10/06 at 11:33:40

Preventive maintenance and scheduled maintenance are the name of the game with anything mechanical.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 12/10/06 at 22:21:24

I've got 6325 miles on mine. I believe I can get beyond 30K without a significant problem. I believe I can beat the cam chain issue too, besause I use pure synthetic oil, Amsoil 10W-40. This bike is 4 years old now, and so I will start worrying about wear out about 10 years from now! Cheesy Before I start to worry, I will sell it to someone who wants to make a custom out of it; it will cost whoever a few hundred bucks. Cheesy

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #6 - 12/12/06 at 20:40:04

Thanks for sharing your viewpoints.

I love my savage, so I am planning on being the last owner of it - as long as I can keep it running which should be for many more kilometers.  As it is, I'm the 5th owner.  I have a bit of a daredevil mentality at times, but most of the time I am a very careful rider.    Smiley  

I also am a firm believer that for any vehicle, regular oil changes, and maintainance is the key to a longer engine life.  I had a Ford Probe that had over 330,000 kms. on it, and it still had life in the engine.  My Honda Civic has @ 260,000 kms.  Yet, both my hubby and I commute over an hour each way to work, so we tend to really put the miles/kms. on our vehicles quickly.

Anyone else have a savage with lots of miles?

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #7 - 12/14/06 at 18:49:45

got the 1987 here with unknow miles tank on it at present had 29040 miles , rebuilding her now and hope she gets at least that many more!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Tim_C
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/17/06 at 11:45:54

I find it interesing that on page 73 of my '02 owners manual that they warrantee the machines emission controls for"useful life" of the motorccle,define as 5 years or 18,681 miles,whichever comes first.Hmmmmmm...I better get out and ride as I only have 300 miles left

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 12/17/06 at 15:59:27

Diane, the answer is as varied as the bike from the factory. If you do the service you will have no problems. Im expecting around 70k, before the rebuild.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/17/06 at 16:55:05

Just clicked past 24,000 today on my '01. I guess I'll see how durable it is..

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 12/17/06 at 19:33:38

Saw a '02 last month over in Daytona with 29,000 miles on it. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner about it though.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 12/18/06 at 13:50:23

With reasonable mnx and riding I would expect at least what typical Harley riders experience -- 50,000 highway miles or  80000 highway km til engine overhaul.  Obviously, city riding will decrease this number...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 12/18/06 at 13:52:20

Oh, I forgot to mention this LAW of motor vehicles...
the faster you rack up miles, the further your steed can go! Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #14 - 12/30/06 at 15:46:23

Thanks for the replies!  I hadn't checked back here in a few weeks, so I didn't realize others had posted as well.

Anyway, I do hope to ride my savage for quite a number of years - so I am hoping to get a lot of kms. on it!!!  In the one year that I've had it, I've just about doubled the kms. that were on it from the previous owners.  Just glad that the bike is getting lots of use, compared to the first 5 years it was around. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:31:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Most miles/kms on a typical savage????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.