Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold weather gear, Good stuff for Cheap? (Read 6 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Cold weather gear, Good stuff for Cheap?
12/08/06 at 08:55:50

I rode 16 miles in mid 20 degree weather this morning & decided my hodge podge of assorted stuff to protect from the cold just isn't good enough.Question is, What do you wear for cold weather protection. How effective is it? How cheap can I get by? Aww, you knew it was gonna get down to $$$.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Cold weather gear, Good stuff for Cheap?
Reply #1 - 12/08/06 at 11:21:21

Came to the conclusion last year that no matter what I did, if I didn't get something out in front of me I wasn't going to be able to ride for very long at highway speeds and low temps (below freezing). I also decided that putting a fairing on the front of the Savage just wasn't going to do it for me. So I ended up with a much larger MC which has a fairing and a large enough charging system to run electric clothing. So at 5 degF this morning, I rode in on the interstate and felt just fine. I wear a FF helmet, leather jacket, heated jacket liner, heated gloves and when it gets well below freezing outer pants. All this over normal work clothes.

When I started buying gear, I looked at the total cost of ownership (how much it cost vs how long it was going to last/how many times I would use it). I didn't start with a synthetic jacket or gloves because my experience was that the new technical fabrics deteriorate in about 5 years. So I went with leather which I hope will last about 20 years. (Cost was similar in this case). Anyway, I have lots of tech gear for hiking/backpacking etc. but I didn't want to wear extra clothing at work or have to change once I arrived so I started working on the outer layers. Final solution is what I listed above. I have gone several hundred miles at temps well below freezing in the above gear and felt as comfortable as I would have in a cage.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 12/08/06 at 11:32:05

Living in in the Houston area, it doesn't get as cold for me as it seems to for mornhm, but it drops into the 30s and occasionally 20s.

A windshield helps.  Lowers help.  For clothing, I'll typically wear a normal pair of socks under a pair of wool socks, all jammed into my leather boots with a 17" shaft.  Long johns under jeans under chaps (on occasion I've wrapped my legs in fleece between the jeans and chaps).  Leather jacket zipped up.  Fleece scarf tucked into the jacket and high enough to cover my nose.  Full face helmet.  Tourmaster Cold Tex gloves.  Most of it can be found for fairly low prices if you look around.  It's pretty makeshift, but it works well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 12/08/06 at 12:39:55

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 12/10/06 at 17:43:03

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I rode 16 miles in mid 20 degree weather this morning & decided my hodge podge of assorted stuff to protect from the cold just isn't good enough.Question is, What do you wear for cold weather protection. How effective is it? How cheap can I get by? Aww, you knew it was gonna get down to $$$.

How much colder below that mid 20s do you intend to keep riding?

I can ride down that low comfortabley without a windshied wearing a Tee Shirt; Sweat Shirt, and Jeans all uder insulated cold weather work coveralls (Like Carhart's but I buy cheaper D1ckies). Couple of pairs of socks and high top leather boots. AGV gauntlet style cycle gloves with thinsulate insulation. Oh... And never without my FF helment.

If I was going to ride a Savage reguarly below 20ºF I'd want a National Cycle fairing style windshield. Not as good as a real fairing, but way better than nothing. JCW carries them.

Another alternative is to search the storage room of local cycle shops for all of the Vetter and Windjammer fairings that they took back off in the last 20 years as they've fallen out of favour. They offer good protection, and since they bolt to the frame, the steering effect of that big sail in the wind isn't as bad as handlebar mounting IMHO.

In fact, I've found a local independant shop that has about 30 of these old fairings in a back room. They said I could have my pick from between $100 and $200. JCW still carries the replacement shield for them if needed. I had one on a Yamaha SR 500 once a long time ago, and that bike was about as fast WITH the big fairing as my Savage is without one. They are heavy though... 40-50 pounds or so I'd guess. When summer rolls around you can always pull the fairing/shield off.

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/06 at 18:00:40

well I ride almost every day except icy conditions. I rode today it was 27 degrees in western pa but wall to wall sun. I wear insulated boots. duo-fold long johns they are the best for my money and not real expensive. over them just a pair of jeans and those clip things to keep my pant from flying up over my boot. A good pair of thinsulated leather gloves , a turtle neck , a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. Plus I have a thing that pulls over my head and down around my neck, which i pull up over my mouth, wal-mart 3.98, my power trip textile coat and the warmth of my engine and it is amazing how warm i am while riding.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #6 - 12/12/06 at 22:27:44

What is the matter with you? Get the hell out of the north! We in the south never see 20 degree weather. Our tax load is a lot lighter, and we can ride comfortably all year. Grin

Well, pay your taxes and slide on the ice. ???

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/12/06 at 22:58:52

and for a very cheap method ,newspaper on your chest it will stay in place under your "T" shirt, or any were else  that needs to be insolated ,ask any hobo,
it works ,so don't knock it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #8 - 12/17/06 at 22:52:16

Wow mickthelimey:
You are older than I am. Are we both spending our Social Security Money on our bikes?

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 12/17/06 at 23:00:35

What else Mickthelimey! Large brown trash bag  for rain gear  Grin Grin Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/20/06 at 18:43:26

Hey, I went to sears today and bought a new set of long johns. Now these are not the old fashoned waffle look l.j.'s, these are the 2 layer kind under the brand name Covington. They were about 26 bucks for the pair. And they actually have tall sizes. i bought the 34-36 waist because my waist is 36 even though I wish it was 34 and the xlt for my monkey size dragging knuckles arms and not only do they fit well and I might add look very sexy ,(i considered riding in just them but all the chicks would have attacked me especially since I was wearing Hi-Karate), but they kept me just as warm as my duo-fold great value for the value concience. my $.02 worth      john

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:19:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold weather gear, Good stuff for Cheap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.