Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter engine troubles (Read 2 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Winter engine troubles
12/03/06 at 19:27:21

Bike won't start! Actually, it'll start, but then the engine just dies out.

Last week, it was almost 60 degrees, and I was riding around having a great time. Then it snowed, I left the bike in the garage for three days, and today, the roads were clear, it was a little under 20 degrees and I took the bike out it took a little more cranking to start, but it was fine.

I felt some hesitation in the engine once I got outside, thought I was out of gas, so I filled up a few blocks away. I started it up again, pulled away from the pump, let it idle a couple minutes, and then the engine just died.

Was much harder to start it up again, and it died faster once it did. Increased the idle. Harder startup, faster death. After I tried that a few more times, it wouldn't crank any more, I assume I'd drained the battery, and I had to walk the bike back home.

I've also got a bad solenoid, so I have to jump start it by connecting the posts of the relay, but for the two months I've had it, it hasn't had any real problems.

Question: Do you think that this is just the battery reacting poorly to the cold? If I charge the battery up all the way, will I be ok? Will I have to keep charging the battery all winter?

This is my first winter commuting to work on my bike, because my car died. Until I fix this, I'm stuck on the bus.

Thanks all.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Winter engine troubles
Reply #1 - 12/03/06 at 19:55:23

A weak battery will cause performance issues. Charge it fully or replace it. Make sure your cables and terminals are clean.

Also, when it's colder out, your bike runs much leaner. If you have stock jetting, that extra leaness might be what you're seeing.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #2 - 12/03/06 at 20:01:08

Why are you living where it snows? ??? Get out of there! Go to a place where you can ride all year. Like, here in central Florida. You can even ride over to Daytona during Bike Week. Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/04/06 at 12:23:24

Florida? Why would I want to live in Florida? I'm in the home of... da Bears.

Bike's 10 years old, and I'm gonna guess the battery's probably original too.

Any recommendations on good winter batteries, or where to find them?

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/04/06 at 13:28:01

a possibilty is you have contaminated fuel ie water which if it is  cold, could be freezing in the carb , as we all know these bikes run lean, which does't help in extreme cold,
but check the battery 1st. ???

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/05/06 at 00:11:48

whew - a 10 year old battery - not contradicting you by any means, but I bet it has been changed once. I understand about a 4-5 year life expectancy is more usual.

recommend a non maintenance battery - don't ever have to check level or worry about acid spill when taking it off bike.

think there was a link or two for batteries on this site - think saw some web address for place to get one.

mine might not be extra heavy duty (no idea one way or other) but I for one was happy when, after the guy I bought the bike from said he had put a new battery in, I later found it to be maintenance free.

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #6 - 12/05/06 at 08:59:33

I got a sealed made in the USA battery from Batterys Plus for a little over $ 50.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/05/06 at 09:45:20

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 12/05/06 at 17:39:03

weak battery and maybe bad gas..lived in florida for 16 yrs ( no dis to our fla savagers)i will only go back for visiting friends and (in the wifes case) schooling...i rode here in west colorado for the toy run last weekend was 16 or so when i left the house only small patches of ice on a shaded street...i dont winterize i ride...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 12/05/06 at 19:28:52

You might try running your petc0ck on prime for the first 10 minutes, mine tends to act like its run out of gas if its 50 or colder.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/06/06 at 11:37:20

Petcock on prime. I'll give that a shot. I did try putting it on reserve, which didn't work. What does prime do?

LOL yes, I WILL try the petc0ck/petthingy/petdingledangle/petweewee on prime

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 12/06/06 at 11:44:32

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
What does prime do?

PRI (Prime) doesn't require vacuum to operate.  It's a straight gravity feed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter engine troubles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.