Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Went and saw the savage today.... (Read 9 times)
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Went and saw the savage today....
Reply #15 - 12/05/06 at 15:53:30

Bikemom28 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
We used Gravel rocks with the Acid and sloshed it around because there was tons of rust in the tank.

If there's more than a thin coat of rust, muriatic acid and aquarium gravel is one of the best methods to use to clean it. Mixed 50/50 with water, it will remove all the rust and leave the good metal. The only problem is flash rust after cleaning. I've used muriatic acid to clean a couple tanks. I coated the last one with POR-15.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/05/06 at 16:03:06

Thers a product at paint stores called Ospho. It is dilute phosphoric acid. It turns iron oxide into iron phosphate. It is then hard & black. I would first remove all I could with the afore mentioned Muriatic & gravel, then treat with Ospho.

Also, I don't think I have seen tires talked about yet. I hope you look at them real close. A flat is no fun, a blowout is a potential fatality. I can kinda hear someone sayin "Better safe than sorry". 4 years in storage & they might not be allright.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/05/06 at 22:08:57

I add my two more cents - thinking on it agree might be good to replace the tires, irrespective of wear - check sidewalls for cracking.

Metzlers are best but pricey (if you go that route a question on here will evince the type). I use Dunlop 404s - way better than standard & a good price (I think the front was in the mid $40s off the internet).

oh yeah - if you go with the route of changing the pads/shoes as was mooted by another contributor the least I'd go with is something like EBC brand - cheaper than oem & better.

all the hints you are getting & what you are planning may add up to a bit more than the "few hundred" you see putting in it, but you'll end up with a better bike for still a great price!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 12/06/06 at 05:20:53

I've been very happy with Dunlop 491 Elite II's.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #19 - 12/06/06 at 10:44:19

Vinegar should work just fine for the tank.  It removed ALL the rust off the badly rusted headers and pipe on my Formula Vee.

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 12/06/06 at 14:02:41

Usually I like oil with my vinegar, so can we now can segue into another OIL THREAD Grin.
I agree with justin o guy, after the fuel issues are sorted out and the engine runs ok, , chech the tires before riding. Especially the sidewalls.
Don't worry about modifications until you are familiar with the ride; then you'll have a better idea of what it needs to be really yours. Enjoy and happy holidays.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:30:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Went and saw the savage today....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.