Poor gas milage (Read 3 times)
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Poor gas milage
12/02/06 at 17:09:37

Have just rebuilt 87 savage, new cam chain, cam, reset valves to spec. cleaned carb(155 jet) full spacer, no backfire with dyna muff.  Problem is bike now gets only 30 miles per gallon. Air fuel screw set at 2 1/2 turns out.  Any ideas on why milage dropped to 30 from 50 before tear down and rebuild?

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Poor gas milage
Reply #1 - 12/02/06 at 17:44:58

If I had this problem I would consider going back to stock carb & exhaust. Then make small changes & watch the MPG. But, there are some smart guys here with a lot of experience that may just up & tell ya what's wrong. I will watch & see if you get that lucky.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 12/02/06 at 17:48:22

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Have just rebuilt 87 savage, new cam chain, cam, reset valves to spec. cleaned carb(155 jet) full spacer, no backfire with dyna muff.  Problem is bike now gets only 30 miles per gallon. Air fuel screw set at 2 1/2 turns out.  Any ideas on why milage dropped to 30 from 50 before tear down and rebuild?

first few simple things that come to mind are dirty air fliter or fouled plug. what pilot jet did you use??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #3 - 12/02/06 at 18:46:14

went one hotter on the plug, brand new cone filter.carb just broke down-cleaned-reassembled. befor the cam chain went it had the diaphram removed and the vac port on carb capped.took her for a ride today. 90 miles, she smothed out but is really blowing carbon, brake adjuster is jet black and she was just detailed.Harley muffler and 155 jet.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 12/02/06 at 22:21:08

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
went one hotter on the plug, brand new cone filter.carb just broke down-cleaned-reassembled. befor the cam chain went it had the diaphram removed and the vac port on carb capped.took her for a ride today. 90 miles, she smothed out but is really blowing carbon, brake adjuster is jet black and she was just detailed.Harley muffler and 155 jet.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 12/02/06 at 22:22:46

you are obviously runing rich. Black brake adjuster says it all.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 12/03/06 at 00:04:42

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
you are obviously runing rich. Black brake adjuster says it all.

If it got the brake adjuster very black in 90 miles, I'd up that to  VERY rich.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #7 - 12/03/06 at 05:25:28

turned air fuel mix scew to 2 turns out.still some smoke,
how do i tell the size of the pilot jet?any other tricks this girl can try?its a mikuni carb, guessing original. needle valve was totaly gooie, got it clean.when i finally got it out (clymer book is wrong) lol pushes in to the center not follows the screw and washer! lol

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 12/03/06 at 10:00:54

If the carb was "gooie" I' consider removing and double checking all the carburetor air bleeds. They are above the fuel level and have to be clear to start the atomization process. If they are even partially plugged, it will cause that circuit in the carb to run rich. I've found that a product call 'Sea Foam' works very well as a maintenance item for the fuel system -it increased my mileage about 5 mpg- and it is a fuel stabilizer for winter storage or little use times.  I'd recommend running it through your last run tank of fuel and then adding the recommended amountat storage.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #9 - 12/04/06 at 03:46:47

Found the "sea foam" put it in and rode the 22 miles home. cleaned up the garage, . now it backfires each time the clutch is pulled in! is this a good sign?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 12/04/06 at 07:34:22

it may imply that the carb is cleaning out, and the engine is starting to lean out a bit (a good thing). were you running the 155 main jet prior the rebuild? i've seen it reported that too large a main jet simply caused worsened gas mileage. debby has gotten 35mpg with her bike jetted with a 155, 2/3 spacer, dyna muff, but that was running 70mph into a 30mph headwind for 1.5 hours.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 12/04/06 at 20:49:52

Give the SeaFoam more time to work. I'd use it for a couple tanks before I drew any conclusions. If you did notice a difference in the way it runs, that is a good thing. It can only get better.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/04/06 at 20:53:08

Oh one more simple thing to try - there's a drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl. If you can turn it (it's not frozen up) counterclockwise, drain the bowl. This will flush out alot of junk that usually ends up in the bottom of the bowl.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #13 - 12/06/06 at 03:37:09

Hi! and thanks. she is running a lot better! leaned her up a fuzzy ( brownish smoke) and 60 right now!! just one small oil leak to fix and she will be a perfect lady!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:43:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor gas milage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.