Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HD muffler adaptor.. again..one more time! (Read 7 times)
HeresPaco
Ex Member

HD muffler adaptor.. again..one more time!
11/29/06 at 14:54:47

I need some ideas.  ???  What different kinds of adapters did you all settle on when you installed a Harley or other muffler?

I have a few HD mufflers to try on my '87 and wanted to see how you all adapted them to the Suzuki headpipe.  It's clear you need to have a slightly curved and properly sized connector pipe to connect the Suzuki's headpipe to a muffler so that it will mount straight along the side of the bike.

What have you all come up with? Can you give me some sizes, dimensions, pictures or some kind of specs of what you got and worked for you best?  

Thanks much!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: HD muffler adaptor.. again..one more time!
Reply #1 - 11/29/06 at 15:41:29

while i can't give you the specifics of what you asked, i can suggest you do a search of the site for what you are looking for. set the days searched to the max.

this subject has been discussed many time, and you would benifit greatly by reading those topics.

i know this doesn't answere your question but it does give you a great place to get answers from people that may have left the site. and you get the satisfaction of "finding" the information you seek, it may even lead you to other things of intrest.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/06 at 16:09:01

Hi and thanks,

I've looked through the history but really didn't see any pictures or the type of details I'm looking for.  I'll search some more with varying key words however.

Wink

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #3 - 11/29/06 at 16:17:05

Note this is a Dyna muffler.

I got an adapter made at a local muffler shop for $5.   I took the muffler and the head pipe to the shop. I didn't bother with the recommended 10 degree bend. It fit pretty well, but I could not get it to seal.   Note that I did not have a gasket on the head pipe.  

I did use a car "U" and saddle clamp to tighten the adapter to the head pipe.  That was probably a mistake.  It deformed the adapter so much that it was no longer round.

Recently, I tried to seal the adapter with Permatex Ultra Copper.  I think this would have worked had the adapter not been deformed by the "U" clamp.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try to try a stock adapter.  I bought a 1 3/4 " ID X 1 3/4" OD adapter at an Advance Auto store. It's about 4" in length.  

The small end fit the muffler well, but the large end was too large for the head pipe with a gasket. Since the dealer did not have a gasket in stock, I cut a shim out of 0.020 " aluminum sheet metal. I cut a couple of 1/16" slits in the adapter and used two of the excellent HD muffler clamps  to tighten it down really well.  

That seemed to do the trick.  No leaks.

Below is a picture of the completed connection.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/29/06 at 16:25:16

That have a stock a Dyna? - there seems to be more different types of HD mufflers around than carters has liver pills -

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 11/29/06 at 16:31:53

It's for a FXD 1340/1450.  I think that's a Dyna Super Glide or Wide Glide.

IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/29/06 at 16:34:00

Thanks Steve.  Good pictures.

So most have a custom adapter made?  I guess you'd definitely need to have it made if you want to bend in it.

Reel.. I have a half dozen different HD mufflers and yup, even when a few of them look the same something is different about each one, including the sound and even the inlet sizes!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 11/29/06 at 16:39:58

Here's a picture of the shim I made.  Not pretty, but it worked. Note this is not the correct adapter, it's a 1 3/4 OD X 2" ID adapter. You need a 1 3/4" ID X 1 3/4 OD adapter.

IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/29/06 at 16:49:01

Great pic, thanks!  Your shim is similar to most production shims and would seal fairly well.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 11/30/06 at 01:59:05

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 11/30/06 at 02:17:52

Mine is Dyna Muffler also.  Like Steve530 I tried the muffler shop adaptor pipe and brute force U-bolt clamps first. Good news: it didn't leak, and one leg of one clamp lined right up with the original mounting bracket and made a solid fit.

The bad news: My heat shield wouldn't fit over the big u-bolt clamps. I tried cutting slots in my (no angle) adaptor pipe, and using regular Harley muffler clamps, but couldn't get a good seal. Then I decided I liked the shorter look of the muffler mounted directly on the header, but that wouldn't seal good, and it made the hole in the Dyna muffler's sliding track bracket line up perfectly with the hole
in the bike's bracket. So... the stove head bolt couldn't slide in the track and get a grip.

Final solution: Positioned the muffler exactly where I wanted it on the header pipe, used a brute force u-bolt clamp to hold it together; removed the whole rig and took it to my friend/neighbor's welding shop and had his son Tig weld it with stainless rod. Here is a fuzzy shot of the bottom. The weld is just to the left of the hose clamp holding on the heat shield:

I swear that the Dyna muffler sounds a bit louder and better without that couple of inches of adapter pipe. I knew that before having it welded; because I ran it with the single clamp for a few minutes before committing to welding it up. Now that it's done I don't regret welding it.
As Lancer remided me in another thread, welds can be removed too if a later change is wanted.

One of these days I'm going to have to clean my bike before I go showing more pictures of it on the forum.

IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/30/06 at 09:25:38

Rockin John, you just got me thinking I want to use stainless pipe for the connector, no rust!  Thanks!

Smokey, thanks for the great detail.  I've come to the conclusion I'll pretty much copy your example.  I'll see if the muffler shop can make the connector pipe from some stainless pipe pieces out of their dumpster.  

Thanks to all of you for the great detailed information!!
When I get the old '87 back together I'll post some pics and put it on the map.

This is a great forum with a super group of members! Certainly well worth a little website expense donation to John!    Smiley

Cheers to you all for a great holiday time.
  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 05:27:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD muffler adaptor.. again..one more time!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.