Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start? (Read 6 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?
11/28/06 at 12:53:30

Basically I want my partner to learn to ride.   We ride EVERYWHERE together but I always drive. Savage has lots of power for 2!  Wink
We even have matching Bell helms & jackets (and look like morons) and have a lot of fun ridding but, for example, in case of an emergency she could not ride the bike for me.

And it also would be nice for her to start and maybe one day tour together or with a group.

--------------------------------------------------------

She has driven Quads only and is not terribly good at it but I see good potential.

IŽm also afraid sheŽll drop my never-before-dropped-bike and damage it (and/or hurt herself).

I was thinking of finding a soft grassy field, removing mirrors & signals and duct-tapeing the bikeŽs voulnerable parts and teaching her there. But I think she could slip on the grass.

Or maybe getting for a while a used "easy-to-ride" smaller bike, like a Yamaha TW200 or something and teach her the basics on that.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.
Richard

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Re: Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?
Reply #1 - 11/28/06 at 13:17:18

Get her to take the MC saftey course.  The best way to learn is correctly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/28/06 at 13:25:32

Let her take a Motorcycle Safety Course.That's how I will get my wife on one. She won't ride her own bike & will have a pro teaching her. They ride Honda Rebels & such. Look in the phone book, call informationj, go online, google motorcycle safety course. They're everywhere.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/28/06 at 13:38:04

yeah, MSF is a must.  I understand you not wanting her to drop yr shiney bike, but taping it up and such could really hurt any confidence she may already have (on the other hand, you don't want her overconfident!).  Grass is slipepry, esp if green.  Can you afford a beater biek for her to learn on?)  you could resell it, or chop it, or throw it away later...

Before the MSF course, though, I, and I alone, probably, suggest letting her ride a little.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 11/28/06 at 13:47:54

have someone else other than you teach her.
let her learn good riding, before developing bad riding habits. yeah we all have them, if ya say you don't, well your just b.s.'n yourself and others Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #5 - 11/28/06 at 13:53:43

And here's one more vote for the MSF course.  

Professional teaching, and if the bike gets dropped, it's not a big deal.  And she may not feel as nervous as she would if she knew you were watching, just waiting for her to drop your bike.  That sort of thing can be a bit nervewracking for some people.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 11/28/06 at 13:55:55

I'm with the others who recommended the MSF course.  I'm trying to talk my wife into it one day too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/28/06 at 14:38:50

MSF course all the way.  I did it a few months ago.  I have lots of years with 20 lbs bikes under me, so bike handling wasn't an issue.  Although now I have 350 lbs of bike under me, I'm getting more confidense every day.

The MSF course will educate her on how to handle the  bike and what to look out for, you know those rolling wrecking balls we share the road with.

Plus, and a big plus it's not your bike she'll grind the gears on or drop!  There's even an opportunity to try a few different styles to see what fits her.

Check out the class, maybe there's one with a female coach.  It'll give her alittle more confidence and understanding to be taught in her own language.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 11/28/06 at 15:24:36

Stimpy,

I have to agree that the MSF Basic Rider Course is the way to get your partner started. As a matter of fact, if you have not yet taken the course, you should consider it, too. You will get a discount on your insurance.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - 11/28/06 at 15:49:36

I agree with learning at the MSF course (free in PA) since I just took it and got my license this year.  I had women instructors, too.  Gutsy old ladies. Smiley

Plan to get her her own used bike right away to practice because I might not have passed my test without the extra practice.  I had never driven anything but a car before.  Also I felt comfortable on my own bike (cheap and used) because I knew I would probably drop it and I did.  It was sad but no catastrophe.  So many women are learning to ride, you probably will  not have any trouble finding (and selling, if you upgrade) a small used one.

By the way, once she discovers how much more comfortable the driver's seat is than the rider's she may never ride on behind again!  I hope you can keep up in the dust! Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 11/28/06 at 18:33:53

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
1.  Basically I want my partner to learn to ride.  ....

2.  She has driven Quads only and is not terribly good at it but I see good potential.....

3.  IŽm also afraid sheŽll drop my .....

1.  What does she want?  Riding is, IMO, better than being pillion -- she may have a different opinion.  There are advantages and disadvantages to dual riding versus riding double.  Negative side -- costs are double, fuel mileage is chopped in half.  Positive side, which for me is a selling point -- you are not stranded if something breaks:  shove the broken bike to the side and ride double on the remaining bike.

2.  Can she ride a bicycle?  Riding a motorbike is not that much different than riding a bicycle, 'cept that it is heavier.  She might feel easier starting on something small -- say a used $300 50cc scooter.   How is her driving?  Is she comfortable behind the wheel?  Does she have years of incident free driving behind her?

3.  If it is HER bike she will not be dropping YOUR bike.  A bike falling down is completely normal.  Bikes are a lot tougher than most people realize.  Most damage is cosmetic -- only parts that commonly get damaged and need replacing are mirror, levers, and footpegs.   If worried about dropping, find a rat bike -- you cannot hurt a rat.

WWW   IP Logged
guitar52
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/28/06 at 20:27:55

saftey course, It will keep her alive and save her life.

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/28/06 at 22:01:09

As others have said... MSF course is a must.  I know a few guys who have tried to teach their wives to ride and have either come close to divorce, or have driven the wife to not want to learn any more.  Not only are the MSF instructors professional teachers, but also she is paying them, which means that when they tell her she is doing something wrong, she can't get too mad at them.  Then when she comes home you get to be the shoulder.  

On a side note, if you haen't taken the course, take it with her.  The first day might be a little slow for you, but you will learn things too.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 11/29/06 at 05:15:07

+1 on the MSF basic course.

Take it after she does, or if your relationship can stand it, with her. If you go in with an open mind and pay attention to the classroom stuff, you will learn a lot.

However she takes the course, no comments from the peanut gallery until the course is complete (unless she specifically asks for your help). As far as the instructors being professional, the ones I have met are, and genuinely seemed to care about the students in their classes, but I have heard some negative comments about other instructors especially concerning female students, so if your partner is concenrned listen to her.

http://www.vtwinmama.com/index.htm

This seems to be a good site with lots of info.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 11/29/06 at 06:01:13

debby was in about the same place, so i put her on my atc250r for a little practice with a clutch on a platform she was familiar with, (she has been riding her atc250sx for 20 yrs). that way, she wasn't trying to figure out the mechanics of operating the bike while learning to ride and listening to the MSF instructor too. she drives manual transmission cars also, so she understood a clutch and gear selection already. manual transmissions and MSF courses are not options in my house! i recommend the same to anyone. when she had completed the MSF course, her very own '96 savage awaited her, she has never wanted to ride 2up since.
ditto: praetorians marital advice! Wink

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.