Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start? (Read 6 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
:-/Re: Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start
Reply #30 - 12/01/06 at 12:11:30

O.K. IŽll try to answer everyone.

- Basically, we are Germans living in BAJA: http://www.danzante.com/html/map.html  for a while.

- WeŽll be here on our "sabbatical" for maybe the next 2 years, after that weŽll fly home (Frankfurt area) and start cruising over there.  IŽll let you guys know before my savage hits the market in case anyone is interested, IŽll deliver (last road trip, sniff  :'()in CA or AZ.

- So the closest "real" city for us is San Diego, 60 miles away. (We are almost neighbors Azjay! I also used to live in El Centro,CA about 10 years ago, love those desert back roads Wink).

- So we donŽt care about DMV and such because we have International GERMAN MotorVehicle Licenses ($2000+ USD a pop, yes 2,000) so US tests & certifications do not apply to us.

- Those 8 hours theory are kidsplay compared to the 48+ hours we each took to pass through the German DMV system, so basically: "she knows the theory, but lacks the balance".

- So that little $89 course sounds pretty good, or at least good enough to learn the basics and build confidence from a "pro".

Anyway, thanx for the input  Grin

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?
Reply #31 - 12/01/06 at 13:36:38

In your case, the $89 course is a good deal.

WWW   IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Re:  :-/Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to
Reply #32 - 12/01/06 at 15:41:52

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
O.K. IŽll try to answer everyone.

- Basically, we are Germans living in BAJA: http://www.danzante.com/html/map.html  for a while.

- WeŽll be here on our "sabbatical" for maybe the next 2 years, after that weŽll fly home (Frankfurt area) and start cruising over there.  IŽll let you guys know before my savage hits the market in case anyone is interested, IŽll deliver (last road trip, sniff  :'()in CA or AZ.

- So the closest "real" city for us is San Diego, 60 miles away. (We are almost neighbors Azjay! I also used to live in El Centro,CA about 10 years ago, love those desert back roads Wink).

- So we donŽt care about DMV and such because we have International GERMAN MotorVehicle Licenses ($2000+ USD a pop, yes 2,000) so US tests & certifications do not apply to us.

- Those 8 hours theory are kidsplay compared to the 48+ hours we each took to pass through the German DMV system, so basically: "she knows the theory, but lacks the balance".

- So that little $89 course sounds pretty good, or at least good enough to learn the basics and build confidence from a "pro".

Anyway, thanx for the input  Grin

My wife read something about overseas requirements and it's far more strict than here in the states. The fee is very expensive AND in some places, you are limited to the size of bike you can ride for a period of time and have to work and learn your way up to a bigger bike which could take years.

WOW

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #33 - 12/01/06 at 18:17:07

stimpy; i have a very good freind in oklahoma, he served in the u.s. air force in germany (during 80's), and has been married to his german wife aprox 20 years now. she has a '63 vw sun roof bug and a '48 ford tudor sedan, he has a harley and a '34 ford coupe. they have shared with me, the strict rules and enforcement policies involved with the driving privelages in germany, aqll i can say is "wow!" y'all certainly have an appreciation for something we take for granted here.
 as you know, we popped the cam chain on debby's bike the other night, please do let us know when you've got to go, my dad really likes the savage, and i'm thinking he's overdue for a gift. i was going to store debby's savage up at his place, after she moved to her road king, i'm certain he wouldn't let the battery die on it if i did, but there is not much point in it now.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #34 - 12/02/06 at 02:17:25

We should start a new topic, we are way off here.

- hunnus2000: YES itŽs ALL true, the requirements in Europe vary from country to country but basically to simply have a license means you went through hell and back to get it, plus it costs a small fortune to do it.  But itŽs a one time thing, unless of course you abuse & lose it, then you must wait and do it all over again. (Many families start their kids a bank account at birth just for this, so by the time your 18, thereŽs enough in there for your permit, and maybe even your first car, crazy).

Also YES, your license indicates what kind of vehicles you can drive with it (my German one says in the back I can drive tractors, scooters & small bikes, cars, vans and small trucks Grin)  but I could not drive legaly anything with, letŽs say, 3 axles or a large trailer behind it, nor a large bike (like a savage), for a 650cc I would have to make an extra course and theorical & practical tests for that. ThatŽs why in Europe there are a bunch of REALLY BIG (adult size) bikes & quads running around everywhere with a micro-tiny-tiny 49cc engines in them, I was really puzzled about this at first, now I know why.

And if I do drive a vehicle IŽm not qualified for, and something happens, insurance will NOT PAY for ANYTHING. Also bike insurance only covers you from, letŽs say, March the 1st to Oct the 31st (because of snow) so if you crash on November the 1st, even if it was a beautiful sunny day and was not your fault, you got it! YouŽre screvvd. Also if you are cought driving your bicycle while DRUNK, you could lose your driviers permit.  Tongue  Europe is weird.

azjay:  Grin I know, those crazy Germans.  BTW in Europe, Germany-Holland&Belgium mostly, it seems that Savages are really IN nowadays, basically because not everyone can afford a Harley there, because everyone and their brother has a BMW or some Italian 200mph rocket and because, frankly, everyone is SICK of Shadows.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
tgoss
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 12/04/06 at 15:17:27

When I decided I wanted to learn how to ride myself my husband thought he could teach me.  I never felt comfortable until I took the MSF course.  The MSF course is a great way to learn.  I took it a couple of years ago and the instructors teach you in a way that anyone can learn.  I had never road a motorcycle of any kind and learned how by taking this course.  I have a 2005 Suzuki S40 and I love riding.  I have the best of both worlds - I can ride my own or ride with him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.