Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start? (Read 6 times)
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Re: Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?
Reply #15 - 11/29/06 at 06:32:11

We’ve been there! My wife was going to be a passenger but I was adamant that she take the class and learn also because there may be a situation where she may have to ride the bike. We both went to the MSF class but she had to quit midway because she was on a Nighthawk which was too high for her and she couldn’t flat foot (she’s 5’1) and she also hurt her wrist when walking the bike out to the course (about Œ mile).

But she did learn that she COULD ride a motorcycle so we got her a Rebel to start off with and after a week she was ready to ride the neighborhood streets. After a month, we upgraded her to the Boulevard S40 (Savage 650) and she took the MSF 2 weeks ago, passed and got her license. I’m very proud of her!

Make sure she can flat-foot the bike and if she doesn’t take the MSF Class immediately, get her a small bike 125cc to 250cc. Teach her how to power walk AND how to accelerate and brake properly so she won’t drop the bike. If she can slowly progress into shifting and turning in an empty parking lot, then she should be ready to take the class.

BTW, the MSF class is geared towards a person who has never been on a bike but it can also be a very grueling class. There is a lot of slow speed turning, A LOT of clutching so she will be exhausted after each class but the course is invaluable.

Good Luck!

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #16 - 11/29/06 at 06:56:23

I agree with Paladin above - Is she chomping at the bit to drive?

If she's into it, then the MSF course (without you around, IMHO)  I've seen some couples do MSF...some do fine while others not so well...why chance it?

I also agree a little scooter is a great confidence builder, and you can ride together until she's ready for her own Savage...

My wife is 100% behind me on my bike (or was until I went to a single seat), but she has 0% interest in grabbing the handlebars...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/29/06 at 08:31:07

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I agree with Paladin above - Is she chomping at the bit to drive?

If she's into it, then the MSF course (without you around, IMHO)  I've seen some couples do MSF...some do fine while others not so well...why chance it?

Yes this is a good suggestion. I was consistently worried about my wife while we were in the class together and it was nice that she had her own experience when she took it by herself. It is also a great sense of accomplishment knowing that she did everything on her own and also a true confidence builder!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #18 - 11/29/06 at 08:52:09

i spent $30 on a permit, practiced around my neighborhood away from main roads and on the actual skills test course at the DMV.  Passed the test with a 100% and havent dropped my bike yet.  1 year riding with no prior experience.  

If she cant drive a manual car then opt for the safty course.  If she has something between her ears which im sure she does, then im sure she can figure it out like I did.   Tongue

This is horrible advice by the way but its how i did it and im still alive.  Maybe ill take the intermedate/advance riding class.  

p.s. You cant get a better bike to start on then the savage.  350lbs soaking wet with a 650 engine is the best of both worlds.  That way she can learn on a comfortable bike and get the experience of a more powerfull engine.  250's in my opinion are dangerous.  If you need that extra power to get out of a sticky situation you dont have to worry about downshifting to get your rpms up with the savage.  She's got juice throughout the powerband.  

p.p.s. Twin savages would look bad a$$ in the garage.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 11/29/06 at 11:28:16

[quote author=Hashbrown link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1164747210;start=0#18 date=11/29/06 at 08:52:09]iPassed the test with a 100% and havent dropped my bike yet.  1 year riding with no prior experience.  

[quote]

oh but you will. i am certain of that fact.  i've been riding most of my life and i find this to be true, overconfidence is a killer. btw i've been "down" six times over the years, it's a fact of riding..  after carefull review they all have been my fault.  riding to fast for conditions, inattention, mechinal failures that i should have spotted before embarking, and just doing stupid stuff. sure there have been other vehicles involved, and legally in the wrong. but it's still my responsiblity to ensure my safety.  

there is only one rule when riding  [glow=red,2,300]YOU ARE INVISIBLE PERIOD. [/glow]

all riders should be organ donors, are gift to the world.  8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #20 - 11/29/06 at 13:42:50

WOW!

18 replies in 24hrs, Thanx guys!   Grin

I see this is a topic that a lot of people relate to in more that one way.

I also see that all of you share the same opinion.

So It's settled, MC Safety Course it is, IŽll check my local DMV (San Diego) for weekend courses. Actually I allready found one here www.begintoride.com that looks petty good.

IŽll also check in January craigslist.org for deals on a rebel or maybe another savage, but I donŽt want a 50cc scooter, I see no point.

- What does she want?  SheŽs not quite sure, she says sheŽs perfectly content as a passenger but IŽm sure once she sits "behind the wheel" sheŽll be hooked  Grin  Also this is a good skill to have in any case.

Thanks again!

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #21 - 11/29/06 at 13:52:05

"I Passed the test with a 100% and havent dropped my bike yet. 1 year riding with no prior experience.

Sluggo...Oh, but you will"

You guys are killing me  Grin Grin Grin

True, SO TRUE.

Yeah, safety courses are great and all but at the end we are our own worse enemies, and overconfidence (or a squirrel in the middle of the road) will kill ya!

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #22 - 11/29/06 at 18:32:58

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
IŽll check my local DMV (San Diego) for weekend courses.

what part of san diego? i was born and raised there, left in '81 and haven't looked back. grandfather, mother, aunt, brother, debby's parents, and various extended cousins etc. all still live in the area. we moved 160 miles east to yuma, dad retired 3yrs ago and moved out here too.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/29/06 at 18:41:26

I will say one thing I have only had my motorcyle permit for about a month and a half now and I ride my husbands 350lb bike, But I will say go with the course, I still have my permit and my husband did teach me how to dirve it on the grass you just have to be very careful it will teach you balance there. I am going to take the msf course myself it costs about $200-$300  but is well worth it. It teaches alot that you may not think of. But my motto that I have since I got my Permit was I'd rather be fully prepared than minm. perpared. With Drivers now a day's you have to be fully prepared especially on a motorcyle.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 11/29/06 at 19:08:49

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
So It's settled, MC Safety Course it is, IŽll check my local DMV (San Diego) for weekend courses. Actually I allready found one here www.begintoride.com that looks petty good.
That is not the MSF course.

That one doesn't look too good to me.  $90 for a 3-hour session, versus $235 for the CHP associated California Motorcycle Safety Program:  http://www.ca-msp.org/ which is, IICR, about 8 hours classroom and 8 hours on the 'cycles.

Not to mention that sucessful completion of the CMSP course waives the DMV riding test.

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #25 - 11/29/06 at 19:36:00

good catch paladin! the MSF course debby went through in phx was $235 also and 8hrs class + 8hrs riding skills which waivered az tests (coincidence? perhaps not). the course here in yuma is $250 and 16hrs of instruction, again successful completion waivers testing.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/29/06 at 22:14:37

Here in NC the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course is offered thru the community college system.  It only costs $145 and is also 8 hours classroom and 8 hours rubber down time.  Also, like elsewhere, it waives the DMV skills riding test.

Whatever you do, make sure it is an MSF course she goes thru.

IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/30/06 at 06:43:09

Yeah, the MSF here in New Brunswick, Canada was 4 hrs classroom and 16 hrs on the bike.

At the end of the weekend I had a sore clutch hand let me tell you but I learned alot.

A friend of mine is looking to start riding as well.  I told him Id help him learn a bit but he had to take the course.  Its just to important to pass up.  Plus I got a discount on insurance of $300 and $100 worth of gift certificates from a $400 course.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 11/30/06 at 23:47:26

Heck, that makes it almost freee, Huhh?

IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/01/06 at 08:31:16

Yeah,hehe I got my money back from the coarse in the first year of riding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Want to teach Wife to ride. Where to start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.