belt vs chain (Read 37 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: belt vs chain
Reply #60 - 05/25/07 at 07:19:45

Barry, I have noticed that the weight seems to be less relavant through all the feed back I have received. That just shows the geat torque and versatility of the Savage engine. The chain conversion definately brings out the best in this bike, no matter how you gear it.
                                                          Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #61 - 05/28/07 at 03:01:54

Another quick update...

I took a 100 mile trip yesterday with a 200+ lb. pillion.  With the 17/43 gearing, the hills in the Annapolis, MD region were not a problem.  No down-shifting, just twist the throttle...

It's been a while since I've owned a m/c with a chain, should you keep about 1.5 inches of "slack" in the center?  I've always been told you only want tension on the chain in the drive-side, but I was in a stealership the other day and noticing all the chains on the bikes in there had no slack at all in the chain.  Thoughts?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #62 - 05/28/07 at 06:32:11

Barry, I always have kept about 1" of slack in chain. Just like the belt, it needs room for the swingarm motion.If you are going to be riding double, the more slack is a better idea, because of the longer travel. STEALERSHIPS, they love it when your chain stretchs and your sprocket teeth get pointy,$$$$$.Either that or their set-up guys went to the same school as the ones trying to fix my tire. 3 weeks and still no tire. I know it is apain to figure out with the speedo being off, but what was your mpg on that trip?    Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #63 - 05/28/07 at 06:44:58

riptide_fl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I went to Lowe's and got two 7/8 " hardened washers.. Took a bit out of the center until they just fit over the splined shaft and they are exactly the right thickness ! Worked out just fine !!

I like the price of that spacer...hardware store, here I come.

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 05/28/07 at 07:57:01

Hutch, I'm getting 55 to 57 mpg around town with the 17/43 combo... I have a Bike speedometer/odometer installed and it is very accurate !!  I could probably get better mileage but I don't really baby it much !!  Grin...

Ride Safe , John

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #65 - 05/28/07 at 08:03:40

I think the slack of the chain depends on what bike its on, if you take a motocross bike it will need more slack because of the different position the swingarm take if compessed or not,  the shocks are very long.
On our bikes you probebly need as little as 1 inch, because its not mutch the chain stretch if unloded or under full load (2 people).
But as Hatch mension its better to have more slack then to tight.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #66 - 05/28/07 at 14:43:50

I haven't filled up yet, I looked in the tank after the trip and it looks like I've got a good deal more in the tank.  I'll let you know after I fill up this week...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #67 - 05/28/07 at 19:36:43

riptide_fl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I went to Lowe's and got two 7/8 " hardened washers.. Took a bit out of the center until they just fit over the splined shaft and they are exactly the right thickness ! Worked out just fine !!

Hey, Man...good job!  And I'm here to tell you how good.  Can you say "KISS"?

Now mind ya, I'd been holding out for some sophisticated, creative replacement like a countershaft spacer from a 1955 Black Vincent....but alas, I couldn't find that bike.

After your post, I picked up 2 - 7/8" flat washers at True Value Hardware.  Not the hardened ones, but just plain old flat washers...but who cares.

Now, the countershaft measures about .965" and the plain old washer measures about .935" (clearance for .875").  Just a tiny bit too small....more to do...get Dremel Tool, vise grips, and beer.

With a beer and the carbide bit is going around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around...the job was soon complete.  2 flat washers installed, nut torqued, and tab lock washer bent.  Done.

I had been holding out with the idea of being creative, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money either.  Essentially, I had a mental block and you jarred me out of it.

My "spacer" cost me $1.20, plus a beer (but that was inevitable anyway) Tongue

Thanks again.

PS - the OD on the washers is ~1.775".  Just a little bigger than the tab lock washer.  Forget about cutting down a $13-15 sprocket and just open up a couple washers, instead.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #68 - 05/29/07 at 03:46:04

Greg, I charge $85/hr so with 15 minutes of grinding on the washers, they would have cost me $1.20 plus a $1 (beer) plus $21.25 for my time for a grand total of $23.45, so my $14 dollar "spacer" which took me no time at all was actually $9.55 "cheaper" (which I spent on a new bottle of Makers Mark)  Tongue

On a more serious note, when I took the pulley off, I found a bunch of red dust which looked like rust but may have been thread lock.  After the pictures I've seen of the chewed up pulley teeth on the counter shaft floating around this site, I was actually glad to have that extra splined "washer" clamped next to the sprocket to keep it in place.  Again, not sure if it matters but the two sprocket setup (17-tooth and 13-tooth) will definitely be stronger and hold more torque.  I'm just not sure how much overkill it is...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #69 - 05/29/07 at 06:57:03

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Greg, I charge $85/hr so with 15 minutes of grinding on the washers, they would have cost me $1.20 plus a $1 (beer) plus $21.25 for my time for a grand total of $23.45, so my $14 dollar "spacer" which took me no time at all was actually $9.55 "cheaper" (which I spent on a new bottle of Makers Mark)  Tongue

On a more serious note, when I took the pulley off, I found a bunch of red dust which looked like rust but may have been thread lock.  After the pictures I've seen of the chewed up pulley teeth on the counter shaft floating around this site, I was actually glad to have that extra splined "washer" clamped next to the sprocket to keep it in place.  Again, not sure if it matters but the two sprocket setup (17-tooth and 13-tooth) will definitely be stronger and hold more torque.  I'm just not sure how much overkill it is...

Maybe you should be replaced with an immigrant.

Why do you think that it is "definitely stronger"?  If you're "not sure if it matters", then I'm certain that it doesn't Tongue

As for the splines...just remember that the countershaft spacer on the transmission side of the sprocket is not splined and it is much smaller in diameter.  Does that make it stronger?  Heck no.  All the strength that concerns us is JUST in the splines on the drive sprocket itself.  Your expensive spacer is nothing more than an expensive spacer.

Red stuff is rust.  You don't put thread lock on splines.

The only reason anyone used a "waste" sprocket to begin with concerned finding a convenient shaft diameter.

You just hate to admit that $1.20  and a beer will work as well as your handy $14 sprocket and overpriced Makers Mark.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #70 - 05/29/07 at 07:46:30

Quote:
Red stuff is rust.  You don't put thread lock on splines.

It may be rust, but while you don't put thread lock on splines, you might put it on the countershaft nut.  If it is rust, then I'd be concerned about the strength of the splines on the countershaft.

I don't mind admitting the washers are cheaper than the sprocket, but if I had to do it again, I still wouldn't spend time grinding on a couple washers, just like everybody there are some conveniences I'm willing to pay for.  I don't mind a bit how anyone else spends their time, just realize that's the only non-renewable commodity you have.

Maybe we should all be replaced by immigrants.  Grin  It's likely we will anyway  Shocked

Quote:
All the strength that concerns us is JUST in the splines on the drive sprocket itself.

While that may be enough, you can't really think that the friction between the two sprockets adds nothing?  How do you think a clutch works?  It relies on friction alone.  Theoretically, you could grind the splines OFF the section beneath the primary sprocket, and with splines and the friction of the second sprocket you may still have enough strength to hold it.  In fact, there may be enough friction between the countershaft nut and a sprocket to be ok under light load with no splines at all.

Quote:
...a beer will work as well as...overpriced Makers Mark.

Unless you don't like beer  Tongue   Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #71 - 05/29/07 at 08:09:57

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It may be rust, but while you don't put thread lock on splines, you might put it on the countershaft nut.  If it is rust, then I'd be concerned about the strength of the splines on the countershaft.

I don't mind admitting the washers are cheaper than the sprocket, but if I had to do it again, I still wouldn't spend time grinding on a couple washers, just like everybody there are some conveniences I'm willing to pay for.  I don't mind a bit how anyone else spends their time, just realize that's the only non-renewable commodity you have.

Maybe we should all be replaced by immigrants.  Grin  It's likely we will anyway  Shocked

While that may be enough, you can't really think that the friction between the two sprockets adds nothing?  How do you think a clutch works?  It relies on friction alone.  Theoretically, you could grind the splines OFF the section beneath the primary sprocket, and with splines and the friction of the second sprocket you may still have enough strength to hold it.  In fact, there may be enough friction between the countershaft nut and a sprocket to be ok under light load with no splines at all.

Unless you don't like beer  Tongue   Shocked

Ever heard the phrase to the effect that "a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous"?

Why put thread lock on a lock nut and a tab lock washer?  Not a mechanical practice at all.  Hutch's was a fluke, and I dare say that someone just plain screwed him.

Yes, I think that the friction between the 2 sprockets does absolutely nothing.  It is not a clutch.  If the sprocket needed more strength they'd have made the splines thicker.  You actually think that if the sprocket were stripped that the spacer would hold it?  Good for you.  Go for it.

The torque loads are transferred radially not laterally.  With that logic, why aren't you worried that the chain will rip off the teeth?  I guess that Suzuki must have had a bad design with GS550 (or whatever) that it was originally used on...Those bikes had more torque and HP too.

If you want to have theories.  That's just fine, but theories need to be proven.  Myself, I'll just rely on 40 years of motorcycle and mechanical experience.

Your preference for the sprocket is just as subjective as your preference for Makers Mark.

And if you ever get replaced by an immigrant, you might be inclined to find cheaper ways too.  I suggest that you start saving your money.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #72 - 05/29/07 at 09:32:31

Quote:
Ever heard the phrase that a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous?

Yep.  And I'm starting to see the application.

Quote:
Yes, I think that the friction between the 2 sprockets does absolutely nothing.  It is not a clutch.

This statement seems to indicate you have no idea how a clutch functions.  Even though I find that hard to believe.  So are you just arguing for the sake of argument?  So what is the difference between a clutch and a brake?  What physical properties other than friction dictate how they work, or don't work?  Functionally, can a brake be used as a clutch and vice-versa?

Quote:
The torque loads are transferred radially not laterally.

And by what mechanisms can torque loads be transfered?  If it is through static friction, the radial distance from the center of the load, the amount of pressure applied, and the coefficient of friciton between the two materials is directly proportional to the torque that can be transfered.  So how again do brakes differ in function from a clutch?  Two plates forced together under pressure CAN act as a clutch regardless of how you prefer to label them.

Quote:
I guess that Suzuki must have had a bad design with GS550 (or whatever) that it was originally used on...Those bikes had more torque and HP too.

Unless you assume the countershaft on the Savage was designed for use with sprockets vs. pulleys.  Do you know that for sure?  Is the Savage countershaft exactly the same as the GS550 countershaft?  I happened to notice the pulley spline area was twice as wide as the sprocket spline area.  Is that because of the pulley material (one could reasonably assume) or the countershaft material, or pulley design?  In any case we either assume (more theory that you don't like), or we know the design specs for certain and the intent of the design engineers.  Again, a little knowledge IS INDEED dangerous...

Quote:
With that logic, why aren't you worried that the chain will rip off the teeth?

No, radial distance.  Which is much greater on the outside of a sprocket than the splined area.  Same principle by which larger disk brakes are better than smaller ones, and larger clutches are better than smaller ones.  Remember that "little knowledge" quote?

Quote:
Myself, I'll just rely on 40 years motorcycle experience.

Not to take anything away from your experience, but that's like saying "we've assumed the earth was flat for the last 300 years, and it hasn't failed us..."  While that may be ok in some instances, it certainly doesn't lend itself well to new ways of doing things and new discoveries.  The premise of this entire site flies in the face of convention which says you should keep eveything stock and have the dealers do all the mnx.

To illustrate my point here, my son has a chinese made dirt bike that we decided to re-gear but couldn't find anything that fit the bolt pattern of the rear sprocket.  So I used a plain rear sprocket and sandwiched it between the original sprocket and the rear hub.  It was not bolted to anything, only held in place by the compression of the original sprocket forcing it against the hub...  What's my point?  He's ridden that thing hard for the last year with no noticeable slipping between the two rear sprockets.  It transfers torque to the rear wheel just fine.  If your "experience" were relied on with my son's bike, I'd either have to live with the original gearing, or have a non-working m/c.  Did the friciton between those two sprockets do nothing?  If that's the case, then my son's m/c works by "magic".  If that's what you want to conjecture, fine.  But I'll rely on my own "experience" thank you.  However, my "experience" was generated by the theory that it would work in the first place.  That's not to say that every theory works in practice, I've had my fair share of failures but I've also learned a lot from each one.

In the end, I agree that two washers is cheaper and will work just fine for a Savage chain conversion, it's just more time consuming.  And, I didn't "waste" my 13-tooth sprocket.  I could get a different spacer and test my setup with a 43/13 gear, even though I'm not likely to ever take the gearing the other way.

BTW, why didn't you get 1" washers so you wouldn't have to grind on them?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #73 - 05/29/07 at 10:20:57

I posted an alternative that I believe is very doable and reliable.  I know it will work.  I never recommend anything less.  I believe my reputation in this forum is well supported in this regard anyway.  Those who know me, may try it.  Those that don't won't.  Needless to say, that doesn't bother me.  I merely made a post and thanked someone for the idea.

You on the other hand, chose to dispute my suggestion for reasons that I do not really understand.  Did I object or question your setup?  No.  Furthermore, as this discussion has progressed you still cannot counter my technique or materials with anything more than theories and feelings.   With every response you merely add more variables.  Nothing concrete.  

That technique is summed up with, "If you can't Dazzle them with Brilliance, then Baffle them with Bull$hit".

I'm bored.  Enjoy your setup.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #74 - 05/29/07 at 10:38:48

For the record, anyone who reads the thread should see that I never "disputed" Greg's suggestion.  The tangible/concrete difference in technique is time vs. $ which should always be a considersation.  No theory, no feeling, straight fact.

I'm out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt vs chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.