Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
belt vs chain (Read 37 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: belt vs chain
Reply #45 - 05/02/07 at 16:26:48

Greg, so is your bike running or what?  I'm interested to hear what you think of the chain mod/gearing change.  I'll be doing mine soon, just need to get the spare sprocket cut down...and fix my new automotive electrical problem...and... Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #46 - 05/02/07 at 17:06:40

With the info from this site the conversion was quick and painless.  The chain is noisey, messy, and i love it.  Looks great on the bike, feels to me just as smooth so far, and changeable gearing!  I'm running 14/45 right now and it is a change.  first gear isn't entirely useless, but it's used up real quick.  acceleration is much stronger in all gears. top speed is reading 87. don't know how off that is, feels more like 80 or so, but it gets there in a heartbeat.  Engine definately sounds like it's straining more, i wouldn't run this ratio all the time, but it's great in tight and twisty.  I've got a 16t to try, i'll report on that when i do.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 05/02/07 at 19:34:14

Just put the chain on today.. Rode to work and back this evening, man what a difference !!  Went with the 17/43 combo and it feels like a whole different bike !! Very smooth at 60 mph now !!.. Will never go back to the belt now !! Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 05/02/07 at 21:19:16

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Greg, so is your bike running or what?  I'm interested to hear what you think of the chain mod/gearing change.  I'll be doing mine soon, just need to get the spare sprocket cut down...and fix my new automotive electrical problem...and... Roll Eyes

I've got a cam shaft to redo...then a cylinder to bore and new piston to fit....not in the budget yet.

I didn't buy a spare sprocket for the spacer.  I took measurements, and plan to do that differently.  There has to be another way, besides wasting a sprocket for $$$.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 05/02/07 at 21:22:26

LesGolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
With the info from this site the conversion was quick and painless.  The chain is noisey, messy, and i love it.  Looks great on the bike, feels to me just as smooth so far, and changeable gearing!  I'm running 14/45 right now and it is a change.  first gear isn't entirely useless, but it's used up real quick.  acceleration is much stronger in all gears. top speed is reading 87. don't know how off that is, feels more like 80 or so, but it gets there in a heartbeat.  Engine definately sounds like it's straining more, i wouldn't run this ratio all the time, but it's great in tight and twisty.  I've got a 16t to try, i'll report on that when i do.

You went the opposite direction.  Gonna be hell from red light to red light with that ratio Tongue

Good to know that you have chain clearance on the swing arm with the 14 tooth sprocket though.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #50 - 05/02/07 at 21:23:56

riptide_fl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Just put the chain on today.. Rode to work and back this evening, man what a difference !!  Went with the 17/43 combo and it feels like a whole different bike !! Very smooth at 60 mph now !!.. Will never go back to the belt now !! Grin

That's even lower than my 45/17 ratio.   How does it pull?

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 05/03/07 at 04:18:03

Pulls just fine Greg.. Feels like another gear is available ! You may need shorter gearing if your in hilly country but I'm a lightweight and its flat here in Florida !! LOL..I actually forgot to shift a couple times, thought I was already in 5th !!  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #52 - 05/03/07 at 11:23:04

riptide_fl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Pulls just fine Greg.. Feels like another gear is available ! You may need shorter gearing if your in hilly country but I'm a lightweight and its flat here in Florida !! LOL..I actually forgot to shift a couple times, thought I was already in 5th !!  Grin

That's certainly better than shifting when you're already in 5th Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #53 - 05/24/07 at 15:16:54

I just completed my belt to chain conversion!

Using a 17/43 setup and a "homemade" chain oiler.  Haven't had a chance to test it yet.  I'll let you all know what I think once I've thoroughly thrashed her!

I'm using a standard/NON_ORING chain, so we'll see how long she holds up as well...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #54 - 05/24/07 at 15:19:34

BTW, on my 1997 Savage with 17/43 I had to cut the chain down to 106 links.  Also, I didn't have to machine the 13-tooth sprocket I'm using as a spacer.  That should save folks some time and $....

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #55 - 05/24/07 at 16:24:55

Barry, are you saying the 17 tooth sprocket clears the chain completely over the tops of the teeth of the 13 tooth sprocket you are using for a spacer?  

Or am I just not understanding what you are trying to say?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #56 - 05/24/07 at 18:08:56

Yes Oldfeller!  That's what I'm saying.  The 13-tooth sandwiched up against the 17-tooth works just fine.  There's only about 0.5 mm of clearance between the chain and the 13-tooth, but that's enough.

Ok, I took it out for a test ride and all I can say is...WOW!  It really is a totally different bike.  Exactly what I expect of a thumper now.  Not as snappy in 5th gear at highway speeds, just smooth.  If snappy is what I want, 4th and 3rd gear are waiting in the wings.  I'm really pleased with the gearing now, but wondering if I should have gone just a bit higher....like the 18/43 or the 17/41...oh well.  The only thing stopping me from going higher is 1st gear is just about as tall as I want it to be.

Thanks hutch for pioneering this!  Hope this helps someone else.

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 05/24/07 at 19:00:28

I went to Lowe's and got two 7/8 " hardened washers.. Took a bit out of the center until they just fit over the splined shaft and they are exactly the right thickness ! Worked out just fine !!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #58 - 05/24/07 at 20:26:31

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yes Oldfeller!  That's what I'm saying.  The 13-tooth sandwiched up against the 17-tooth works just fine.  There's only about 0.5 mm of clearance between the chain and the 13-tooth, but that's enough.

Ok, I took it out for a test ride and all I can say is...WOW!  It really is a totally different bike.  Exactly what I expect of a thumper now.  Not as snappy in 5th gear at highway speeds, just smooth.  If snappy is what I want, 4th and 3rd gear are waiting in the wings.  I'm really pleased with the gearing now, but wondering if I should have gone just a bit higher....like the 18/43 or the 17/41...oh well.  The only thing stopping me from going higher is 1st gear is just about as tall as I want it to be.

Thanks hutch for pioneering this!  Hope this helps someone else.

I saw how close the 13 was to the chain and just figured with my luck I would play it safe and cut it down for more room. I'm glad you are happy with it. so far it has been the same outcome for everybody. Everyone likes it and can't believe how much nicer a bike it is. Like I said it was a group effort not just mine, I only started it and wouldn't quit. I wanted to a lot of times and then someone would get me going again. HAVE FUN!!!   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #59 - 05/25/07 at 05:16:19

Hutch, BTW I run around 215 lbs. so I don't think the gear ratio is as dependant on rider weight as it is on altitude, hilly conditions, and the type of riding...

Also, I got tired of seeing $200+ automatic chain oilers, so I made my own for around $15 with an icemaker valve, 1/4" clear plastic tubing and a two-stroke gas mixing canister (about 0.5 L).  It works well, now I'll find out how long the standard chain lasts with it...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt vs chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.