belt vs chain (Read 37 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
belt vs chain
11/28/06 at 10:29:52

I am new to this site but not to riding, 40+ years,and a lot of different bikes. Ossa, Montessa, Bultaco, Laverda , Bsa. Triumph, Harleys you get the idea. I have recently
bought a 2006 Savage. love the bike. Gobs of torque, light, nimble and plenty of acceleration to 75, ask the Harley owners  who I smoke. Now here is where I will open a can of worms. I do not like belts!! Belts do need maintainance. Proper tension, they will jump. The pulleys must be in perfect alignment or they start to look like an Angora cat, and wosrt of all when they do brake 200 miles from home on a Sunday(don't ask) you will not fix it on the side of the road, unless you have been wearing a spare like a hula hoop. I prefer a half link, hole link, master link hanging on my key chain. Go retrieve your chain and put it back on with very little work and a small chain breaking tool. No removing guards and covers or bottom shock bolts. PJ1 makes a chain lube called Blue Label that when used sparingly once a month will not fly off all over the bike. After the
Christmas Holiday finishes killing me I will be ordering
the chain conversion from Germany. Very reasonable price for piece of mind. Plus any good machinest can make you a sprocket with more or less teeth once he has the pattern. As far as noise, who can here it over
their free flow exhaust any way? Just my opinion. Let
the replies fly.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
;DRe: belt vs chain
Reply #1 - 11/28/06 at 10:58:08

Yes, but you must be talking about "other" evil belt systems.

The one the savage has is pretty much maintenance-free* and, from what I keep hearing, bullet proof.

I like it because of the feel (bike feels like shaft-driven) and no oil/lube mess anywhere, including pants and jacket  Grin
...But then again, the flexibility of playing around with the rear sprocket size just for kicks would be great, cause there is just so-much-torque in this thing.

(*Just check tension, must twist 90°, and apply beeswax once in a while). Anyway, just my 2 cents on the subject.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: belt vs chain
Reply #2 - 11/28/06 at 11:33:22

i will never buy another chained machine.  after riding 98,000 miles on my last thumper i'm through with the hassle of the chain. i've tried all types of chains from cheap to expensive. a thumper has way to much torque for a chain.  nothing worse tham taking off and throwing  chain.  at least with the belt it shows the wear. chains broke with no warning.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #3 - 11/28/06 at 13:07:11

I will never disspute anyone's opinion, but like I said
use PJ1 and no mess. Defective belts happen just like plugs. As far as torque goes, all the high horse bikes are going back to chains because of belt failure, unless they show and don't go them. The reason I don't like belts is thaton a harley softail you have remove the whole tire swing arm shock(underneath) assembley just to change one. Thanks to a Harley mechanic(and myself for not checking his work) the rear axle was not aligned straight, and in 300 miles the belt was toast. Inall the thousands of miles I have ridden in 40 plus years I have only spit a chain twice. Both times it was the master link clip that came off, back on the road in 30 min.When a chain spits it usally shoots straight down off the tranny sprocket to the ground not hurting a thing. When the belt went south on me it wedged around the tranny sprocket cracking the inner primary cover(not cheap). I forgot to mention when you change the belt on the Harley you must also remove outer primary cover, clutch assemley,and inner primary to put it on plus the afore mentioned swing arm assemly if you own a softail.
   Just one more thing before I go. I have been viewing this site for  a long time and I think it is great. everyone is willing to help anyone, and share tips. Cudos for that.
  As far as the nonavailability of custom parts for the Savage goes, that's what keeps you a true biker and fabricator. Back when I started that is the only way you could personalize your bike. There was no JP Cycles.
 As long as you make it yourself it will always be different and yours.  Thanks again for a great web site.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/28/06 at 13:41:15

I can see why you feel the way you do. I see the benefit of having a chain. I wouldn't want one again myself, but you have your reasons. I feel plenty safe with the belt. It is wide & seems stout as heck. The alignment diesn't change as long as the axle is adjusted & tightened correctly. If you are about to change over to a chain on the ls 650 there are some here who would follow your mod every step of the way. Myself ijncluded. Let us know how it goes! We be rootin for ya,,,

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 11/28/06 at 13:49:45

compare a savage belt to a hd belt you would be suprised how much beefer the savage belt is.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #6 - 11/28/06 at 13:50:46

I personally love the belt on the Savage.  I also have a shaft driven bike, and that seems to be working well.

The main reason I don't like the chain though, is that they're so messy in comparision.  I can see some definite advantages to the chain.

I suppose that's why there's options: we all like different things!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/28/06 at 14:52:25

[quote author=hutch link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1164738592;start=0#3 date=11/28/06 at 13:07:11]
The reason I don't like belts is thaton a harley softail you have remove the whole tire swing arm shock(underneath) assembley just to change one. you must also remove outer primary cover, clutch assemley,and inner primary to put it on plus the afore mentioned swing arm assemly if you own a softail.
Quote:

My brother says it's listed as an 8 hr. job.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 11/28/06 at 15:04:25

8 hours huh- well since they're such a bargin to start with the hd dealers must make some $$$'s someplace  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 11/28/06 at 15:30:52

Bugscraper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My brother says it's listed as an 8 hr. job.

$500 for a belt change ???
when i bought my o6 was compairing entry level cruizers( read lack of funds ietis) last 2 were the kaw vulcan ltd 500 and my ls650 the belt was the deciding factor..
my first street bike was a gt 550 ,3cyl ,2 stroke,4 pipes,
stop lite to stop lite screemer,i never thru a chain but i kept streaching them(this was late 70s),my  thumperclone(chinesse ct 70[90]trail) has a chain which helps when i change from trail to street tires/wheels/sprockets..this brings me to not being able to tinker(easily)with the final ratio on the ls...
am still having trouble "dialing out"the noise from the belt..tho it quiets down after 15 min or so...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #10 - 11/28/06 at 15:31:37

You are correct on the money Harley makes. I have been dealing with them off and on since the seventies. Back then they weren,t the greatest to deal with and it seems they are getting worse. They have too many shirts, hats, and dog collars to leave any room to stock parts. Most parts have to be ordered. That is why I usually have always done my own work and fabbed up my own parts and tools.
As far as being able to show you a step by step conversion I have no camera and this is the first I have typed since 1967. I hope to learn how to use this computer a little better over the winter. If  not I will try to do the step by step without pictures.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #11 - 12/12/06 at 20:56:22

I stopped at the local Harley dealer the other day and found out all the Harleys use belts. They have also changed to fuel injection. Gone is the chain drive.

Chains loose less horsepower, but belts are less messy, easier to maintain, and less noisy.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 12/13/06 at 00:37:55

If a belt gave the same choice of gearing that a chain does and cleared the tire I would have one.
On KLX I've lowered the gearing so she only does 100mph at the red line (7500) in top.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #13 - 12/13/06 at 06:36:24

a little off topic, but out of curiousity, can you get a longer belt that will fit the stock savage setup? I'm putting 6" of rear stretch on my frame rebuild, and while I like the idea of going to chain drive, I'm curious if I could do it with the belt too.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/13/06 at 07:07:34

This is my first experience with a belt driven bike. Let me tell you after riding chain drives for 40 years I will hopefully never go back to chains. Chains are greasy no matter what lube you use, they constantly stretch, and are noisy. The saving grace of chain is they are cheap to replace and you can always take a link out. My MX bike is a Kawasaki KX250F and it has more horsepower and torque than the savage and it is always in need of chain adjustment or replacement. just my opinion.   john

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:19:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt vs chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.