Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sissy Bar & Luggage Rack (Read 18 times)
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Sissy Bar & Luggage Rack
11/27/06 at 12:23:28

Bought 'em.  Installed 'em.

Now my 2006 S-40 isn't stock anymore.  Close, but not quite.

Here it is, in the garage.  I haven't been able to take it out yet... in the five minutes since I installed them.

View from aft.

View from forward.

It'll be nice that my wife won't worry about sliding off the back end anymore... but "Luggage Rack" is a bit of a misnomer.  

"Sandwich Bag Rack" would probably be more appropriate.  Grin

IP Logged
Trouble
Ex Member

Re: Sissy Bar & Luggage Rack
Reply #1 - 11/27/06 at 15:22:16

I ordered a sissybar and thought about the "luggage" rack. I wasn't quite sure about the amount of weight it would hold so I just stuck with the sissybar. Hope you enjoy the new additions.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 11/27/06 at 19:15:42

got a 12x8x4 bag mounted to my rack , added plastic support to inside bottom of bag to help it from droopin on the ends..cruz tools kit and misc. fits inside nicely...
have had over nite bag on,back pack(tackle and fishin poles inside) a bungie net and or cords and bungie bolts on the top of the shocks makes the rack more useable... as far as load limit of rack ive had a thirty pack of pbr back there!!!!! Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/20/07 at 19:12:02

Oat,

Looks like the Suzuki luggage rack, no?

I've got one on mine.  Watch the welds, they are dodgy.  I've had problems, along with someone else on this forum.

Does nobody else make a luggage rack for this bike?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/20/07 at 21:29:58

got the oem rack on my 06 also been on for about a year now no probs...surf some of the vendor sites if you are lookin for "luggage" most will strap rite on..ive had up to a 30 pak of bpr on mine think the rack is rated to 20# if you need to carry more than  that may should be takin the cager to home depot instead... Roll Eyes                 bell(at wally world) and others make a bungee net that and a couple of pairs of different length bungees are priceless..also bungee buddies(jc whitney?)they replace the top acorn nuts on your shocks and provide a good  place to hook to.. Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #5 - 01/21/07 at 07:12:24

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Oat,

Yup.  Not really much room on there for much of anything... though if I really need more room I suppose I could whip something up and bolt it to there...

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/21/07 at 07:49:50

Oat,

I've got one on mine.  Watch the welds, they are dodgy.  I've had problems, along with someone else on this forum.

Does nobody else make a luggage rack for this bike?

I made my own using the original rear hoop, 13mm tube for frame & supports with 10mm cross braces its now 14inch's wide by 12 inchs deep carrys anthing i want tested it with 2x 56lb weights make front a bit light Grin

allan.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/26/07 at 20:50:31

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Yup.  Not really much room on there for much of anything... though if I really need more room I suppose I could whip something up and bolt it to there...

FWIW....I got a trunk from JCW and it bolted right on.  I have found it to be very useful.  Perhaps a little too useful, as I was one of the people here that had a weld crack on the Suzuki luggage rack.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/07 at 05:04:50

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

And I supposed that's the Suzuki backrest as well?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 02/02/07 at 05:10:41

FWIW....I got a trunk from JCW and it bolted right on.  I have found it to be very useful.  Perhaps a little too useful, as I was one of the people here that had a weld crack on the Suzuki luggage rack.

Same here.  The trunk worked great but I also had a weld crack.  I didn't know it had until I read your post some time ago and later checked mine.  I'm sure it's partly due to the aluminum extension I used on it to support the weight placed in the trunk but I'm planning to reweld it and just use it for the 50 cal ammo box I later used for a trunk.  The ammo box is shorter and fits better without an extension.  I also bought a new luggage rack for use without a trunk.  I don't load it as much.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 02/02/07 at 21:02:33

Rob,

Did you get another Suzuki rack?

TIA!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 02/03/07 at 08:20:36

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Rob,

Did you get another Suzuki rack?

TIA!

Yes.  I also got an adjustable rack for a RE Bullet on clearance for something stupid like $3 and just need to work on a way to make it fit the Savage.  They were one-of-a-kind samples or something like that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 02/03/07 at 23:56:30

I had my sissy bar cut down to make a grab bar, just slightly below the pillons seats top. How do these racks mount to the sissy bar? Do you have to remove the side rails to slide the rack over the sissy bar so you can take it off easily?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sissy Bar & Luggage Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.