Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel Filter (Read 5 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Fuel Filter
11/23/06 at 22:10:56

I would like to install a paper element fuel filter between the tank and the petkock assembly. The filter must be designed for a non-pressurized fuel system. It will have 5/16" male fittings on each end. Is there a product out there? Clymer suggests th AC GF453, but I've never been able to find one. ???

After installation of this filter, I could eliminate the screen inside the tank. This will make the petkock removal much easier when I have to remove the tank. I have not been able to remove this tank without  draining it and removing the petkock. Angry

I really would like to be able to shut the fuel off at the petkock. Suzuki what were you thinking? ???

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Fuel Filter
Reply #1 - 11/23/06 at 22:30:31

I am with ya all the way!The book didn't tell me to remove the petc**ock but it was obvious soon enough.Removong it is a hassle, but I don't see how removing the internal screen will make it much easier. Soon as the tank mount bolts are out, the rear of the tank comes up far enough to clear the internal screen.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 11/23/06 at 22:35:56

you can go to Home Depot or Lowe and look at the lawnmover's fuel filter. Just look for one that will fit into our Savage's fuel hose. BTW you don't have to remove the petkock to get the tank off, you just try pull the straight back until it hit the frame (Hint-cover your frame with duct tape or something tough and thin) then push the rear of the tank to the left to get more clearance between the petkock and the the frame, at this time it is to pull the tank aft completely off the bike.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/23/06 at 23:08:05

WELL! Thats Good News. I dread draining the tank everytime I need to go "in there" I have a very tuff piece of plastic I got from Hobby Lobby that will do the job I bet. Thanks a bunch. I thought since the book was for such earlier models it was just wrong in that area regarding the 05 S40. I thought the styling changes had caused a slight change in the tank & I don't have a Savage to compare to. Thanks again, I will try your way next time.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 11/24/06 at 00:34:56

Unfortunately for some LS650's the tank cannot be removed without draining and removing the petc0ck first ... mine being one of them ... tried every which way to remove the tank without doing this, but no dice ... some peculate that it may have something to do with slight tolerence differences in the frame construction from bike to bike or the position of the petc0ck is slightly off on some bikes as well ... all possible since the LS650 isn't a High-End machine.

Things the designers should've done right from the get-go ... bar mtd. speedo with tripmeter and a cylinder head that allows easy access to the spark plug (then no need to remove tank!)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 12/05/06 at 17:01:50

I found an inexpensive fuel filter at my local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer. It cost only $4. Now I can cut off that long screen in the tank.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/05/06 at 17:13:40

i dont get it ?why do you HAVE to remove the petc0ck?
not to remove the tank.. as you straddle the machine pull back and to your left, yes youll scratch the frame a bit, a black magic marker keeps the rust at bay.. this works on my 06 and my neighbors' '96, i cant find any mods in the service manual that suggest any changes in the frame/tank configerations that would make it necessary to pull the petc0ck to remove the tank...
if youall talkin bout somtin different disregard my post.. 8)i got a $2 filter from the local non make specific dealer
will not remove the factory screen its more insurance...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 12/05/06 at 18:31:49

Thumperclone,
   Guess what I got an 06 and the tank will not come off
without removing petcock either. I scratched my frame and no matter how hard I pushed to the left it was still catching below the widest part of the frame. Plug door definatlely for me. Bad tolerances?? Bad design,YES.
Engineers can put anything on paper and make it look good.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/05/06 at 19:59:26

I understand there are variances & maybe you are going at it right. It took me a coouple of stabs at it after reading that it IS possible. First get those rubber grommets out from under the back of the tank. Then raise the back of the tank & look at the rubber mounts in the slots up at the front.( The speedo & fuel line & vac line off, natch.) Work the tank back & feel around( lift & push left gently & mess with it) hopefully there is a place where it will clear. The left push was pretty hard the first time I did it. Either I got used to it or I just naturally found the easiest place for it to clear. There may be a problem with the casting of the fuel valve?. Next time it's out maybe you could "clearance" it with a file..Maybe ..

I sure hope it works out for ya, cuz I have had to remove the tank several times lately. I would sure hate it if draining the tank was a part of it still. Did that about 5 times.. Yukkk

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/05/06 at 21:50:30

I would not renmove the intake filter - I don't see it having any relevance to taking the petcock out.

do recommend an inline filter - just about any (dirt) bike store in town should sell one (cut your fuel line & use minihose clamps rather than anything else to secure the filter).

that & in the intank one give you double the opportunity to trap unwanted elements from getting in the carb.

as far as the tank - I was sure I was one of those who had to drain it & remove the petcock (& did first time I removed the tank). but the second time with hints from this site & a lot of perserverance I succeeded. however, everytime it is difficult so I am very willing to believe others can't do it due to slight differences in tolerances.  

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 12/06/06 at 04:25:05

Kind of interesting to read how some of ya'll are having so much trouble getting the tank off. The tank on my 2000 comes straight off after moving it back just a little to clear the mounts in the front.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 12/06/06 at 05:13:02

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I found an inexpensive fuel filter at my local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer. It cost only $4. Now I can cut off that long screen in the tank.

well study it before you cut it off - the length of the tube is the amout of gas you have for reserve - if you cut it smooth with the other hole your reserve is gone.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 12/06/06 at 06:37:23

Last time I pulled the tank on my '02 I greased the rubber mounts with silicon "O" ring lube. Made removing the tank a lot easier, it's still a PIA but now I'm not adding to all the scratches on the frame. Still it is tough to get the tank off the bike Undecided.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:36:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.