Send Topic Print
VTX Muff on Savage (Read 5 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
VTX Muff on Savage
11/23/06 at 15:22:07

Okay, I have installed a stock Honda VTX muff on my savage. (will get recording and picks as soon as I can) Unfortunately backfire is worse which I expected with the freer flowing muff, my question is just how deep does the brass plug go for the pilot screw? I keep fearing that I will go too deep and ruin the screw as I try to drill it out.

By the way, the VTX muff is quite louder than expected but not so loud that it rattles the windows.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: VTX Muff on Savage
Reply #1 - 11/23/06 at 17:16:07

Its very thin. i used a small bimetal drill bit. It was off in seconds. I would guess that their is less than a 1/4 inch space between the top of the cap and the fuel screw. As a side note. Before drilling out the cap I took a very small finishing nail and dimpled the top of the cap with a small hammer. It made a nice place for the drill bit to catch.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 11/23/06 at 21:01:03

This worked for me:

Find a small tapered metal screw and a drill bit about the same diameter as the screw shaft (not including the threads).  Drill slowly and with push the drill gently.   You need to be very controlled. The plug is not very thick, but it is not sheet metal.

After you have the hole through the plug, thread the screw into the hole. When it gets tight,  grab the screw with Vice Grips and pull the plug out.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/24/06 at 07:12:22

the plug on my 06 had a small hole in it so i used a small framing screw(for metal studs) couple of 1/4 turns so it was snug and pulled the plug with a pair of pliers..
you may well need to re jet also with the new muff
use search function .. id go ahead and get a k&n drop in before jetting then your engine will have no air restrictions... Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #4 - 11/24/06 at 11:39:40

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
the plug on my 06 had a small hole in it so i used a small framing screw(for metal studs) couple of 1/4 turns so it was snug and pulled the plug with a pair of pliers..
you may well need to re jet also with the new muff
use search function .. id go ahead and get a k&n drop in before jetting then your engine will have no air restrictions... Smiley

Should of thought of that before I started drilling, mine also had a small hole already in it. I'm afraid I may have already drilled too far. Will find out if I did later this afternoon. (Note to self: Never try to work on bike when you have already been awake for over 24 hours straight)

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 12/01/06 at 09:41:41

Okay, finally found time to wrench on my Savage. Luckily I did NOT drill too far and was able to remove the brass plug without boogering up the screw. I have also just completed the half spacer mod.

It was a pain in the rear getting that carb off, I hope I didn't booger up the choke, I accidently bent the choke rod getting the carb out. I was able to straighten it and it seems to work fine, but I haven't put the carb back on the bike yet to find out for sure. (am gonna remove choke rod before putting carb back, and put it back on after I remount carb.)

Question though. Generally speaking, in my climate (New Mexico living desert aproximately 5000 ft above sea level) what size main jet and pilot should I be looking at to re-jet the carb with? And what do they usually cost from the stealership?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 12/01/06 at 09:45:13

get some 145-155,  see which works best.  I'm at 4k feet, running a very free muffler (glasspack), and a KN pod filter. with that setup, I was a bit rich w/ a 155.  should be $2.5 - $5 each.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 12/01/06 at 18:34:31

Thanks vroom. Went to the Stealership today and priced the jets, both main and pilot together will run me about 6.00 USD.

I didn't get them yet though. That will have to wait untill I get paid again in two weeks then I will also order new brake pads and shoes. Then the only thing left to do will be to fix that annoying brake light switch for the rear brake.

I still can't figure out how to re-attach the switch cable to the pedal. Asked the Stealership and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Oh, and get this. According to them did you know that a stock LS650 and S40 does not backfire a lot?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 12/04/06 at 16:50:02

I just did a search for the part # of the carb jets and didn't come up with anything. Anyone know the part #s for the 152.5 Main and 55 pilot jet?

Also, where should I set my idle speed screw (the thumb screw) before I start playing with the Idle mix screw? I have already did a search and couldn't find an answer. (probably used the wrong search cryteria)

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 12/04/06 at 17:12:03

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I just did a search for the part # of the carb jets and didn't come up with anything. Anyone know the part #s for the 152.5 Main and 55 pilot jet?

Also, where should I set my idle speed screw (the thumb screw) before I start playing with the Idle mix screw? I have already did a search and couldn't find an answer. (probably used the wrong search cryteria)

Here are the part numbers.
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/mikuni_main_jets/mikuni_main_jets.htm

why your stealership needs them is beyond me. Just tell them the size.

The idle screw is 13267-25d00 and the spring underneath it is 13271-93011

hope that helps.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 12/04/06 at 17:50:40

Thanks for the reply Brew. What I needed for the idle speed screw is how many turns should I have it set to before I start adjusting the idle mix.

The stealership told me that there were differant styles of the jets, ??? that's why I wanted the jet part #s.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #11 - 12/04/06 at 18:29:56

Thanks for the reply Brew. What I needed for the idle speed screw is how many turns should I have it set to before I start adjusting the idle mix.

The stealership told me that there were differant styles of the jets, ??? that's why I wanted the jet part #s.

ask for the jets with holes.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #12 - 12/04/06 at 18:36:28

the idle screw is set at around 1000 rpms. You have to do it by ear unless you have a tach. Its trial and error as with the air fuel screw. Sorry if I came off like a dic*k but the stealerships hate you touching the bike as it is money out of their pocket. I run a 55 pilot and a 155 main. I would think at you elevation they would be different. Buy a couple different sizes and experiment. I did and it worked for me.  Grin

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #13 - 12/04/06 at 18:48:39

Question though. Generally speaking, in my climate (New Mexico living desert aproximately 5000 ft above sea level) what size main jet and pilot should I be looking at to re-jet the carb with? And what do they usually cost from the stealership?

Would really like to hear about your experience with this. I'm in Albuquerque and have wondered how the higher elevation would affect carb rejetting.

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #14 - 12/04/06 at 18:56:08

KenGLong wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Would really like to hear about your experience with this. I'm in Albuquerque and have wondered how the higher elevation would affect carb rejetting.

Ken in Albuquerque

here is the site
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › VTX Muff on Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.