Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 backfire question - 1st post (Read 0 times)
mezzeta
Ex Member

S40 backfire question - 1st post
11/21/06 at 09:20:32

Smiley Hello all!

I just found this forum and see alot of discussion regarding the Savage. I'm aware that the Savage is now the S40, but do current S40 still have the backfire issue?

I'm looking very seriously at getting one in the next few days.

Thanks in advance!
mezzeta

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: S40 backfire question - 1st post
Reply #1 - 11/21/06 at 09:37:44

From what I've seen on this site, the answer is yes. The new ones have the same lean condition that causes the periodic backfire.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
markv
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/21/06 at 09:45:08

I think it's always going to be likely for a big single to backfire occasionally under specific conditions. I have an 2006 S40. So far it has backfired very occasionally. Usually under the circumstance of suddenly changing from moderate / hard acceleration to a throttle closed, braking situation. I don't find it to be objectionable personally - I think it provides some character. I would not let this particular issue discourage you from this model. It's a simple, light, fun to ride bike.

IP Logged
mezzeta
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/21/06 at 10:10:20

Thanks all for your replies!

It appeared that the fix for the backfire if desired was to re-jet using #55. Just wasn't sure if that would apply to the "S40" but figured it would.

I'm really torn on the decision! I took the MSF class on a GZ-250 and feel very comfortable with that. But it "seems" that your getting more for your money with the S40, but I've never ridden one and not sure how the extra 50lbs will affect the handling. Also, a little concerned that the acceleration might be to much seeing how my only experience is on the GZ-250.

I really appreciate all your replies!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/21/06 at 10:21:15

mezzeta wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
It appeared that the fix for the backfire if desired was to re-jet using #55. Just wasn't sure if that would apply to the "S40" but figured it would.

That's not exactly true.  You only need to upsize the pilot jet to a 55 if you cannot sufficiently adjust your pilot circuit (idle mixture - not idle speed) with the existing jet.  Even then, you will need to adjust the mixture.  Shaving the white spacer also helps relieve some of the lean condition but will mostly get you more power; it doesn't have a lot of effect on the most common backfiring.  Another source of backfiring is an exhaust leak but that should not normally be an issue if the exhaust has never been removed/modified.  For the rest of your question, the Savage and S40 are the same bike.  Suzuki renamed it, along with the rest of their cruisers, for marketing purposes.  It has had some changes made to it over the years but it is essentially the same bike regardless.  All of them are the LS650.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
markv
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/21/06 at 10:47:39

I was considering the GZ, Rebel, Virago 250 for the same reason. This past August I found a dealer with a couple of new GZ's and went intending to purchase. Salesman pointed out that he had new S40's at only $300 more. That was irristable value for me so I went for it. No regrets. I'm a small guy, only 5'4 and 125lbs but it's so easy to handle. Hardly noticable difference from the Rebel at my class. I'd go for it, I guarantee you will want more than the GZ250 after a couple months! (I'm already dreaming about an S50 from the S40 although there really is a lot to be said for the the sheer fun of a light and nimble bike). Let us know what you decide!

IP Logged
mezzeta
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/21/06 at 10:55:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That's not exactly true.  You only need to upsize the pilot jet to a 55 if you cannot sufficiently adjust your pilot circuit (idle mixture - not idle speed) with the existing jet.  Even then, you will need to adjust the mixture.  Shaving the white spacer also helps relieve some of the lean condition but will mostly get you more power; it doesn't have a lot of effect on the most common backfiring.  Another source of backfiring is an exhaust leak but that should not normally be an issue if the exhaust has never been removed/modified.  For the rest of your question, the Savage and S40 are the same bike.  Suzuki renamed it, along with the rest of their cruisers, for marketing purposes.  It has had some changes made to it over the years but it is essentially the same bike regardless.  All of them are the LS650.

Thanks Savage_Rob!

I appreciate the information!

I search for the thread discussing the options.

IP Logged
mezzeta
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/21/06 at 11:02:13

markv wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I was considering the GZ, Rebel, Virago 250 for the same reason. This past August I found a dealer with a couple of new GZ's and went intending to purchase. Salesman pointed out that he had new S40's at only $300 more. That was irristable value for me so I went for it. No regrets. I'm a small guy, only 5'4 and 125lbs but it's so easy to handle. Hardly noticable difference from the Rebel at my class. I'd go for it, I guarantee you will want more than the GZ250 after a couple months! (I'm already dreaming about an S50 from the S40 although there really is a lot to be said for the the sheer fun of a light and nimble bike). Let us know what you decide!

Thanks MarkV!

I've been looking at the same three myself. I was able to demo a user Virago 250 last week and was a little disapointed. I like the exhaust note of the V-Twin and it sound good, but it didn't run smooth. When I would try to take off it seemed to want to die. Had to keep the revs up just to be safe. It seemed to have alot of torque as compared to the GZ-250. Having not ridden the S40 I'm a little concerned it might be like the Virago. I just want something to have fun with. I'm not looking for speed, nor do I intend to race, just riding around.

By the way, I'm 5'9" and 170 and fairly active '53 yr old!

I appreciate all your information!

Glad to hear you like the S40!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 11/21/06 at 11:02:35

Look in the Tech Ref forum at the Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire) and Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning threads.  Also be sure to read the Posting Guidelines: DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE! thread in that same forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mezzeta
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/06 at 11:15:28

Thank you!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com